LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia Geforce 8400M G drivers on notebook

Sanada

Hi, I wanted to run something by you.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB running on an Asus F3S notebook, Vista's the OS. Apparently notebook Nvidia cards aren't supported by Nvidia itself, but seeing as how relying on drivers released by Asus is guaranteed to get me a very outdated driver package, I found this page.

So I installed the 163.16 drivers. I unpacked the drivers, swapped the .inf file for the modded .inf file and installed it.

In browsing the forum I see some discussions about notebook cards that are a bit beyond me, so I wonder: is this alright now? It's working in that I'm looking at my screen at the correct resolution now, and got a higher score on Vista's checking thingy. But do I need to do extra stuff because I used the modded .inf on a notebook card (with, yes, a notebook screen) instead of a desktop one? Summarised: am I running any risk of technical failures / hardware faults through doing this, or are some visual problems the worst that can happen?

Also, I have a more detailed question: regardless of which drivers I'm using, there are some weird visual imperfections. For example, the background of the Vista login screen looks a bit messy. When you look closely at it, it looks a bit like a detailed gradient would look in 16 instead of 32 colors (and yes, I'm running 32). Is this a problem of my graphics card, or is that image just imperfect like that? Also, when using the windows sidebar, it's transparent background doesn't work right on a desktop background that's just plain grey. I can't really explain well how it looks, but it's a bit like vertical bars of a just few pixels wide that are shaking around a bit. Is this common, or a problem only I have?

---

I hope you can give me some feedback on both my issues.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Sanada

You aren't running any risks with the modified drivers. If you ever DO run in to any problems, you can always just uninstall them and reinstall the ones that came with your computer.

As for the grainy login screen.... I have no clue.

What is your Vista Score?

Edited by FiShBuRn

• 1 year later...

yeah. i have same kind of problems (asus a7s, same graphic card), it has something to do whit vistas versions (i used some modded vista and after driver installation login screen was just like you said, but my comp didn´t boot after that. i installed original vista, which came along comp and after driver installation everything works fine...

I have problem after I upgraded my ram from 2GB to 3GB. nvidia 8400m g did not work and so i lost dual monitor function. When i tried to reinstall the original nvidia driver it just failed to install.

So, when I changed my ram size back to 2GB and reinstalled the nvidia driver everything worked perfectly.

Does anyone knows how to resolve this if I want my ram to be 3GB? (My laptop is ASUS F3SC, T7300)

TIA