LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M blank screen on wake - can't find MapOSD* in modified .INF

richtrapp

I've just updated my Inspiron 1720 to Vista Business 64 bit.

Found this site & got the latest driver (165.01) and Pieter's INF version 3.214 (Way cool!). :P

It looks great, but I'm having what seems to be a common problem:

When it wakes from hibernation or sleep mode, the screen is blank. The system responds (it's awake) but the screen is blank.

I've seen several references to:

MapOSD4ToNV (and MapOSD3ToNV...and similar)

and

LidCloseSetPower

I've looked for these in the .INF file and the registry with no luck.

Are these entries I need to create in the .INF file? Is this obsolete?

Any help will be appreciated. This did work find in Vista 32 bit with the original drivers from Dell, but I need (ok..really want :) :) ) to use 64 bit.

Thanks.

Rich

Minor update:

I found the LidCloseSetPower in the .INF file.

I added the MapOSD3ToNV and MapOSD4ToNV and I'm playing with various values. So far no luck.

I found another refernce to this working with Hibernate, but not with sleep. For me it's the same with both.

Also another reference with the same problem said that switching from AC to batter and back would fix, but not for me.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

yes yes, i have exactly the same problem, i have an 8600M GT and after updating to ForceWare 165.01 i have a problem after restoring sleep or hybernate, my screen stays black, but i know my system is working, cause i hear sounds, etc...

i searched for the solution to this, but i didnt found anythink

please help, i am using the sleep modus very often...

email peter.paulis (the at) gmail (point) com

Guest Bartju93
I have this problem but solve it by pressing Fn anf F8(the crt/lcd button).

For some reason it always wants to startup with the wrong one.

Hope this helps

It works very well, but it is very irritating because I use the hybernate mode always. Till there is a fix I use the older drivers.8EFB81

this is driving me insane, please help ! i used inf enhancer to update a forceware i got for nvidia and my computer worked great.

one day i put it into hibernation and when i started it, the screen was blank, even though the backlighting was on. i shut it down from the button and restarted it, and the screen was back on.

one week later, i put it into hibernation again, and the screen didnt start even after 10 restarts. i plugged in an external display and suddenly the display on the laptop reappared when i restarted.

i thought i had got rid of the problem, but what i read from you makes me worry even MORE! because my computer starts with the blank screen EVEN IF I SHUT IT DOWN PROPERLY (not hibernate or stand by). I am terrified that only after buying a brand new laptop i have these problems.

i read about this issue with 8600m on this forum and thought that if i get the drivers from dell it would work, but after i shut it down properly and let it a couple of hours, when i started the screen was blank again.

the problem persisted even AFTER i installed the original drivers from dell support page - is it possible that there are remains of the initial dirver left ? how can i reset my computer to it's original state ? i dont even use hibernate or stand by that much, i just want to see what's on the screen.

i also mention that not even the bios boot screen is displayed - the screen is completely dark. the above solution with Fn+F8 doesnt work for me

please tell me what to do - could it disappear if i format the system drive, reset the bios to default settings (although i haven't changed one single setting), and reinstall ?

by the way, i am using xp pro

thanks in advance

Guest Bartju93

please tell me what to do - could it disappear if i format the system drive, reset the bios to default settings (although i haven't changed one single setting), and reinstall ?

by the way, i am using xp pro

thanks in advance

Does the external monitor works now? try also a CRT screen.

if that doesn't work, I think that 's the right option to do.

don't forget mediadirect.

First reset the bios, boot from mediadirect cd and then the drive is formatted. Install XP again with the drivers from dell.

Good luck!

most of the times the display won't work even if i have a monitor connected - yes, i've tested with a CRT monitor. i managed to start it up once though, i entered the bios and loaded the defaults, i ran xp setup and formatted the system partition, and reinstalled a XP, then installed only the original drivers from dell (i found the 8600m xp drivers on the 1520 support page)

shut down the computer last night, and when i turned on the laptop this morning the display still didn't start up

is it possible that the video drivers can permanently change stuff in the video card's bios or somewhere ? because as i said, i've wiped everything and used original drivers (not the enhanced inf) and the problem persists. could that enhanced inf have messed up my video card ? i mean - what other explanation can there be for the display not turning on when i turn on the computer ?

is this a general problem with all 8600m gt's regardless of what driver i'm using ?

i really want it back to the way it was, and i'm afraid that if i turn it in for service i'll be computerless for at least a month !!

Guest Bartju93
most of the times the display won't work even if i have a monitor connected - yes, i've tested with a CRT monitor. i managed to start it up once though, i entered the bios and loaded the defaults, i ran xp setup and formatted the system partition, and reinstalled a XP, then installed only the original drivers from dell (i found the 8600m xp drivers on the 1520 support page)

shut down the computer last night, and when i turned on the laptop this morning the display still didn't start up

is it possible that the video drivers can permanently change stuff in the video card's bios or somewhere ? because as i said, i've wiped everything and used original drivers (not the enhanced inf) and the problem persists. could that enhanced inf have messed up my video card ? i mean - what other explanation can there be for the display not turning on when i turn on the computer ?

is this a general problem with all 8600m gt's regardless of what driver i'm using ?

i really want it back to the way it was, and i'm afraid that if i turn it in for service i'll be computerless for at least a month !!

Do you have the newest bios from dell support? A03 I think. If this doesn't work you can call dell. They could do everything to make your laptop as new :)

Do you have the newest bios from dell support? A03 I think. If this doesn't work you can call dell. They could do everything to make your laptop as new :)

yep. i installed the latest bios in the very day i installed the OS.

I have faith in the dell service, but the problem is i live in romania and there isn't a real dell service center, just authorized service providers - who are Romanian - and frankly i don't put them anywhere higher than amateurs. Actually i think that if they turn on my laptop and the display decides to work, they'll just call it case solved and call me telling me i'm a moron. but that's just me...

by the way, i turned it in to service today, the lady there was even less than an amateur, and while i explained the problem to her in 3 or 4 complex phrases, she just wrote down 5 words in the "problem description" field of my service request... they should have had me talk to a technician or somebody who understands the problem to do this kind of work...

Guest Bartju93
yep. i installed the latest bios in the very day i installed the OS.

I have faith in the dell service, but the problem is i live in romania and there isn't a real dell service center, just authorized service providers - who are Romanian - and frankly i don't put them anywhere higher than amateurs. Actually i think that if they turn on my laptop and the display decides to work, they'll just call it case solved and call me telling me i'm a moron. but that's just me...

by the way, i turned it in to service today, the lady there was even less than an amateur, and while i explained the problem to her in 3 or 4 complex phrases, she just wrote down 5 words in the "problem description" field of my service request... they should have had me talk to a technician or somebody who understands the problem to do this kind of work...

I think it's not jour fault so they have to repair the laptop.

I think you should call back and tell the whole story again...

Guest sajmon

hi, i have te same problem as describet above. i instaled the newest drivers 165.01. Now when i put my computer to sleep or hybernate and when ic comes back to live laptop screen wont start. But when i connected external lcd i saw that this external monitor become the main monitor in nvidia control panel settings. my laptop monitor was disabled. i tried to enable it bud with no luck. Afther that i try ubuntu linux with some other drivers and try hybernate procedure. all works well. So i thing it is some bug in the 165.01 drivers. And when you try to find something about this problem on net you see that many people has this problem... and that probably it is some bug in drivers.

hope you anedstand me, because my english is terrible, i know that :)