LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Widescreen display for design

Guest Pip

Hi there

I was just wondering whether anyone with a widescreen display had any opinions on using a one for design purposes?

I'm an art student and was considering buying a Fujitsu Siemens notebook with a 17" widescreen display but wasn't sure whether it would distort my view of the images that I would be working with! - would what I do on screen look like it would on a normal display/paper!

Thank you!

Pip

It won't distort your images, don't worry about that.

The aspect ratio's just a little different so they're a bit wider and shorter.

For example, compare a 4:3 screen at 1600x1200 with a 16:10 screen at 1920x1200. The wider screen (1920x1200) doesn't stretch an image to fit over it. It only has more pixels and thus more space horizontally.

All of this is assuming that you are using the native resolution of the monitor. If you try to set a 1920x1200 monitor to display 1600x1200 under settings, it will stretch the image.

Hey!

Thanks for replying, I'm glad that it won;t distort my images and have now ordered the laptop! Hurrah! I was also going to purchase an external hard drive and was looking at a Western Digital 500gb one on Amazon for £77 but on a load of the reviews it said that the Western Digital ones didn;t work on Vista and that there were no available drivers. Is this a common problem? - which manufacturers can I buy from?!

Thank you, pip

I like the WD drives. They may be talking about the driver for the button on the front of the drive and te backup software. Honestly, I don't use it. The first thing I did when I got the drive was to wipe all of the backup software from it and just use it like a regular hard drive. You really don't need the drivers or software packaged with it.

Yep, Vista will see it no problem.

You just won't be able to see drive usage on the front of the drive and you won't be able to use the button to back up the drive.

The hard drive itself will work just fine though.