LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Looking to upgrade my Alienware M5500 GPU

scottv

Hi, I have a M5500 with a 128mb Geforce Go6600

6600 is a great mobile video card but I am in need of some extra horsepower for the newer DX9 games on higher settings.

I know that I can fit in a MXM-II chip like the Go 7600 256mb. I am seriously considering that upgrade since I really like my laptop.

However, I cannot find any place where I can read about the experience from others who have successfully upgraded to that card on their m5500 or uniwill 259.

I have read the one about the uniwill 259 laptop on the MXM-Upgrade site, but seems like he ran into some trouble along the way (milling off a bit of the heatpad, and mostly the overheating and startup issues)

Has anyone else successully upgraded their laptop to a Go7600 without problems? My laptop has worked fine ever since I bought it and I would hate to mess it up but if this upgrade is okay then I would like to purchase the 7600. Thanks.

Keep in mind the overheating is largly due to his overclocking of his notebook.

The milling is inevitable, I'm afraid.

Yo Ice, your post was so 1337

:)

leetbn4.jpg

:) :P

Okay, I don't mind the milling part. I guess i can do that.

But will it be stable or will there be hardware problems?

I also don't plan to overclock. Just want some more power than a 6600 128mb.

Would I be able to go back to my 6600 if I wanted to? Also what type of feedback have u recieved from your customers of the 7600? thanks

Edited by scottv

I've had a number of people installing the card in their 5500, no reported problems.

I accept Paypal, price is 225€ to the US, including express shipping. Please mail me for the Paypal address, I don't like spreading it around too much :)

Wow...$225....even better! :)

Unfortunately I am having a few problems today and might to wait for my check first. I will PM you.

Do you know if the M5500's cooling system is able to handle the 7600 temperatures? I won't overclock but I will probably play games on it at school almost everyday for an hour or so. :)

Looking forward to be able to run some nicer looking games on this laptop. :P

Edited by scottv

I haven't heard about any problems, but please adjust your glasses: it's 225?, not $. With the dolar playing submarine at the moment;, that makes a very big difference.