LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nForce 630M chipset drivers

jeffvan

I have a new HP Pavilion dv6500z. It has the AMD processors and came with Vista. I reinstalled the laptop with Windows XP but have a hard time getting the system to work. The chipset drivers provided by HP don't work and is for a different machine. They pointed me to ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33411.exe

The machine has the nForce 630M chipset with the GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. I can install the drivers for the graphics card but the chipset drivers are a problem. I was finally able to get everything to work except the network card by using the Vista drivers. I downloaded the vista drivers at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36213.exe

It fails if you install it from the file but if you extract it and go to the 32bit driver folder for vista and run the setup it installs all the drivers including the Network Ethernet controller. All the other components work fine except the Network card and it has a yellow exclamation next to it in the Device Manager.

I would greatly appreciate any help from someone who has experienced this issue. I have been told by HP that I might have to update the BIOS but none of their BIOS updates work on the machine.

I contacted nVidia but they don?t provide drivers for the 630M chipset running on Windows XP. This new purchase is becoming a mess, could someone assist me in this problem?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mewtwo064

I'm having the exact same problem except this is on a HP Pavilion dv6605us. =( tried using the automatic driver discovery on nVidia.com, and it found the right driver, but, when I install it it appears to install everything, but still doesnt resolve any of my hardware conflicts. Rebooted the laptop, etc ,etc. no luck. >.<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not to pick but the NForce 630M and GeForce 8400M GS weren't built to run on XP. These are Vista built chipsets.

Forcing drivers from another chipset such as the 630i on the 630M will give unknown results in the long run. You could experience data loss, crashes, instabilities, and any number of issues. I did this once forcing the 15.08 drivers to work on my NForce Go 430 as a NForce 630M and it made me at random boot to the Remote Guest Account with just about everything disabled on the PC. It took several driver deletions, rollbacks, a loss of 10GB of data, and a system restore to reinstall the 15.01s for the 430.

This is also something that HP/Compaq was probably reluctant to tell you. Usage of non-original offered operating systems is not covered by the HP warranty and service agreement. If they don't provide support then it can't be supported.

If you were having problems with Vista in terms of compatibility there is a simply tweak to help. Disable the UAC feature, remove any unnecessary programs, and keep drivers up to date as more and more compatibility fixes have been released for Vista.

My best advice... reinstall Vista from the Recovery DVD and reinstall your drivers, and ask around about how to tweak Vista to XP's ease of usage level.

Edited by whitetigerx7

• 3 months later...
Guest AgentMC
Not to pick but the NForce 630M and GeForce 8400M GS weren't built to run on XP. These are Vista built chipsets.

My best advice... reinstall Vista from the Recovery DVD and reinstall your drivers, and ask around about how to tweak Vista to XP's ease of usage level.

What are you talking about???

I've an Aspire notebook (5520g-502g25mi) with 630m chipset, and Acer provides half-official XP driver, pointed at by Kermit1974, but as far as I know, these folders were sweeped out. Well, the link is for this download for now!

Your best advice... :) may I also... And download and install SP1 for Vista. Ha-ha! And wait until SP for SP is released!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the owner of an HP Pavilion DV6700z, and I have spent the past four hours trying to get this computer to work with Windows XP. I have to say that this has been an extremely frustrating experience, and I'm quite happy to find this forum. So far, thanks to this forum, I have the wireless card and the video driver working. The last thing I need is the nForce chipset, which I'm downloading right now. So thank you very much!

It feels like M$ has pressured hardware manufacturers to stop making drivers for XP to promote Vista use. Why wouldn't you make a driver for the most widely used operation system? The fact that I've had to scour the internet for custom made solutions is absolutely ridiculous. And all to avoid the absurd piece of junk Vista is...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Guest

i have a presario v6500 notebook with nvidia 7150m nforce630m i installed the latest whql drivers 179.44 vista, and now brightness cannot be increased or decrease where as its not an issue with with my previous oem downloaded drivers, even not when tried to install nforce630i 7150 with have disk method.can you suggest me how to solve this . I really want to preserve the whql at the same time have the latest driver.

• 2 months later...

download driver 167.58 from this site......its d best i have tried 4 my 7150m

• 1 year later...
Guest raitz91