LaptopVideo2Go Forums

geforce 7400go crashes laptop when updating

SilentHawk

Hi, I recently downloaded a few driver versions and modded .infs. to updated the way outdated factory version 84 drivers. I first tried with a 100 series driver. I uninstalled the 84 series driver first, rebooted, installed 100 series driver and then rebooted. Great, right? Well, not even 2 minutes after windows had loaded, the computer crashed. When it rebooted(even in safe mode) it would give a fatal error and crash before the "Welcome" screen even loaded. My solution to even get in to roll back the drivers was to unplug my laptop, then it worked for some reason.

Anyway, I figured those drivers were faulty or I installed them incorrectly. Well, I just tried again with the 163.44 bioshock drivers and I'm getting the same exact problem. Driver installs smoothly but the computer crashes shortly after the computer boots up and is in a never ending fatal error boot cycle before windows loads fully. Anyone else have a similar issue or a cure to this?

System Specs:

HP Pavilion dv8000

GeForce Go7400 512mb/ Quadro somethingorother

1.5gb RAM (512 shared with vid card)

When it rebooted(even in safe mode) it would give a fatal error and crash before the "Welcome" screen even loaded.

Even in safe mode? That's pretty severe. My guess is that the new drivers may have somehow affected some other critical Windows-supplied system driver or process. How that's possible, I'm not too sure... :) :)

My solution to even get in to roll back the drivers was to unplug my laptop, then it worked for some reason.

The wonder that is computers, eh? :P

Anyone else have a similar issue or a cure to this?

I'm afraid I can't help you here, even though we both have similar GPUs. Does HP bundle any recovery software and/or media with the laptop? If they do, your last option might be to do a recovery to factory default (if possible).

Regards,

V-X2

No recovery disc. :/ Oh well, guess I'm stuck with 84 drivers.