LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking Problem

Guest NvidiaUser

Guest NvidiaUser

Hi all, I wanted to overclock my Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX. I could enable the Nvidia overclocking options. I also have 2 other overclocking softwares (RivaTuner and PowerStrip).

Everytime I try to change the core clock (or the memory clock) speed, the speeds changes back to the default settings.

No matter which overclocking software I use, the core/memory speeds change back to what they were.

After clicking on the test button, I get a message that says that it failed overclocking, or that I should try it with a lower frequency. I only try to change it by adding like 5 MHz.

I tried to add 1 MHz, but it jumps to 2 or 3 MHz.

Can you help me solving this issue?

Thanks

(My PC informations: Intel Centrino - Pentium M with 2GHz - 2GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX)

What drivers are you using? None of the 160 drivers overclock to my knowledge.

Guest NvidiaUser

When I try to overclock it, I use the 84.25 driver. I downloaded the driver from laptopvideo2go.com

The reason of having the 84.25 driver is because I can neither access the overclocking panel, nor the Nvidia Display control panel

I read that the overclocking should work with this (54.25) driver

Guest NvidiaUser

Update:

When I try to overclock it, I use the 84.25 driver. I downloaded the driver from laptopvideo2go.com

The reason of having the 84.25 driver is because I can neither access the overclocking panel, nor the Nvidia Display control panel with some later drivers

I read that the overclocking should work with this (84.25) driver

(Note: If I posted this answer twice, it's because I made some mistakes in my previous post)

Guest NvidiaUser

When I go to install the 101.28 driver manually, I have to choose my graphics card from a list, but the 7800 GTX is not part of the list. There are just some GeForce 8 series cards, FX cards and Quadro cards on it. There is no 7800 GTX. Should I install the driver anyway? If yes, which card should I choose from the list, when it asks me for the model of the card?

My procedure so far to get working overclock with go6800 is:

The base is 97.92 which overclocks for me. Don't remember if RivaTuner was obligatory. Then I use this to get the old control panel back: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....ost&id=1447

I may use Coolbits.reg to see the clock speed settings on the old nvidia control panel. But Coolbits doesn't stick there with the latest drivers. Then I have installed 163.16, 163.67 and 163.69 without cleaning the 97.92 remnants and so got the all 16x.xx drivers to overclock. Unorthodox and I don't even know what causes the overclock to stick (RivaTuner is always the latest one). But that's go6800.

I have the same problem. I've tried a variety of different drivers, none will overclock.

From the digging I've done it seems the mfgr can LOCK the clock. Until someone writes a bios (video) which will allow overclocking there's nothing I can do.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but it seems accurate.

HP8510w, santa rosa w/ nvidia FX 570M

On the plus side, it gets an 8300+ in 3Dmark05 and I can run games full screen maximum graphics with no jitters.

i have a 7300 go and i can overclock up to 525/900 .. i use 451/900... (rivatuner)

i use driver 158.45 because it gives me the best 3dmark score for that card.. around 4700.

it can get really hot without appropriate cooling system. i use a standard troom fan blowing on vented side, keeps temperature around 40-50*C playing oblivion

Edited by MitchyMeth

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, is that 3D mark score before or after the overclock? My 8600 GS only gets 2267 in 3D Mark.