LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vista vs. XP

Birdie

I've been running Vista for a while now with my setup. Always thought my 3DMark05 scores were a bit low, being around 2800. I eventually decided to give XP another try, on a different partition, and my score went up to 3500. Game performance increased dramatically. I was wondering whether it is more likely that XP is really that much better ofr gaming or it was simply the fresh partition which helped. It may be a bit of software or some service running that seems to hate gaming. Has anyone had a similar experience?

At this point, XP is still better for gaming (unless it's a DX10 game, of course). Vista is catching up with some of the later hotfixes, but I still prefer XP.

I definately will say XP is better then vista for gaming performance. But there is a catch to that statement. In WOW and most other games XP runs alot more frames. But is slow to respond to alt tabbing. In vista it is alot quicker to switch tasks. This includes running 2 instanecs of wow and seeing less performance drop on vista then xp. This may very but i did a sudo test by doing a fresh install of both OS with the latest drivers 101.19 for vista on my xps and 169.XX on my xp side.

• 3 weeks later...

While delaying the fateful migration to Vista as far as possible into the hazy future, it's better to plan ahead.

So I have a couple of question for Vista users, considering these performance comments.

1. Is there a way to disable / uninstall / stop the Aero interface and fall back to XP-style interface ?

2. if so, has anyone tried it, and tested the performance ?

My guess is that, just like the move from W2K to WXP, dozens of services have been added to Vista, most of which eat CPU cycles and little else.

cheers

envydyauser

Yes, you can disable the Aero Glass effect or use a non-Aero theme. The XP themes aren't available, but the Windows Classic theme is.

Given your other thread, I suspect you want to know about video performance, and there's some bad news there. The Vista architecture uses strong DRM that drags down video performance on many machines. Machines that can handle 1080i or even 1080p with XP will sometimes struggle with 720p under Vista. Your computer might handle it, but I recommend trying it before making the leap.

Machines that can handle 1080i or even 1080p with XP will sometimes struggle with 720p under Vista.

Geez !!! :) :) :P

Even before reading your post, I was nowhere near downgrading to Vista. Simply investigating, as nobody in my entourage uses Vista either.

Wonder what the Micro$oft developers were doing for the 5 years it took them to invent Vista.

I'm tempted to install Solaris10 for intel (nvidia does provide drivers for it), or (don't laugh) dust off my OS/2 CD ... ;-)

thanks

envydyauser