LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v156.65 VISTA 32bit | NVIDIA, COMPAQ, LENOVO, HP, DELL, SONY

®®®

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

added DELL and SONY release, repacked & reuploaded. The SONY release comes with a Firmware Update for selected Go cards (use Firmware.exe). A lot of files in the DELL and SONY release differ from the original release (for NVIDIA, COMPAQ, LENOVO and HP), so i included the complete drivers for each in a subfolder (you'll see after extraction). Driver is latest available WHQL certified VISTA driver for SONY as of today!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• jimmywarsall

• illmatic

• StaFForD

Guys, shouldn't this be the 156.69 driver and NOT the 156.65? The reason I ask is that I noticed a new update on Windows Update, dated 30/10/07. Anyway I unistalled the 169.01, rebooted and downloaded this driver from Windows Update. It definately states that I have the 156.69 driver according to Device Manger. My understanding is that AT LONG BLOODY LAST Nvidia have finally gotten round to thinking about us lappys. But it gets better according to 3d Mark06. On the 169.01 I had 3448 points. On the 156.69 driver I have 3478 points - an increase of 30 points! My setup? Inspirion 9400, intel 2 core duo processor running at 2GH. 2MB Ram and 9700GS. The 156.69 rocks!!!

Guest gaervern

I got the new driver from windows update, so I uninstalled the old and rebooted. However, I was unable to install the new or any other driver. Looks like I will have to reinstall windows.

I don't get it. How are you guys getting driver updates from Windows Update?

Could somebody please care to explain?

Yesterday I tried to get Windows to get the lastest driver for my 8600M GS and all it downloaded was a driver dated back to March! So I doubt that is what you're talking about with Windows Update.

EDIT: By the way, the Sony driver has been around for a few months already. It was right in the downloads section for the Vaio AR-51SU or something like that (can't remember which model number it was exactly, but it was similar to the one I mentioned).

Edited by Anchel

The date of the driver was definately dated 30/10/07. According to Device Manager is it also listed as 156.69. I visited Windows Update and was told I had an optional update which was this driver. I don't set Update to download updates for me automatically but rather set it to notify me when updates are available and then let me chose to install them. THe reason I do that is if I didn't, bloody Windows Update will always try and install a driver dated from January 2007 over the 169.01 which is far more up-to-date. By the way, I'm running Vista 32bit Home Premium. Hmm this is strange??? Surely I can't be the only one to have access to this driver which is a keeper as it offers better performace for my 9700gs than the 169.01. Can anyone out there please confirm this or try and run Windows Update and look at the optional updates and the report back here. Thanks!!!

Damn this is weird! I'm pretty sure when I visited Windows Update, the driver was dated as 30/10/07. And yet on Device Manager the driver is dated as 4/10/07 and showing as 156.69 and NOT 156.65. Hmmm.... Either way I didn't need to bother with modded INFs. I simply uninstalled the 169.01, rebooted, ran Update and chose to install the new driver. It seems to be the latest offical WHQL one from Nvidia for us lappy owners. And about bloody time too!!!

Guys we have all dates listed. There's no room for speculation :) These are definite.

You probably now have mixed driver versions, that's why there are different dates floating around.

Guest jamiem1987

hi, sorry to sound thick...

i have a sony vgn-fe41s which has vista installed...

im using the latest beta drivers from the nvidia site with the modified inf from here...

its version 169.04

i get terrible stuttering in games with every single driver i have tried so far every few minutes it pauses for 2-3 seconds and is becoming very annoying.

What im wanting to know is ..

is there any point upgrading to these? and are these specific mobile drivers better than using the latest nvidia desktop ones with modified infs?

also has anyone else had this weird stuttering problem?

thanks in advance

Guest gaervern

Motherboard and/or screen card failure just when I was installing the Windows update driver. I wonder to what extent numerous crashes of screencard drivers with on and off flickering has contributed to this. Microsoft/nVidia came to late with a stable driver, Dell will have to pay!

hi, sorry to sound thick...

i have a sony vgn-fe41s which has vista installed...

im using the latest beta drivers from the nvidia site with the modified inf from here...

its version 169.04

i get terrible stuttering in games with every single driver i have tried so far every few minutes it pauses for 2-3 seconds and is becoming very annoying.

What im wanting to know is ..

is there any point upgrading to these? and are these specific mobile drivers better than using the latest nvidia desktop ones with modified infs?

also has anyone else had this weird stuttering problem?

thanks in advance

Yes the 156.69 are the latest official drivers from Nvidia for us lappy owners. They are WHQL certified, available from Windows Update, remember to check for OPTIONAL updates and are the fastest drivers so far. They ran faster on 3d mark06 for me anyway than the 169 drivers. So go ahead and install them. In testing so far I've run them on Crysis, call of duty 4 demos and no problems. In a word, recommended!

Doomed, read the posts before asking the questions:

Andy said "They ran faster on 3d mark06 for me anyway than the 169 drivers."

That's true. These are the best drivers so far. In a shoot out using 3d mark06, these drivers gave me 30 more points or marks if you prefer than the 169.01. I have no idea how they compare against 169.04. In testing, everything simply works which is surely what you want. These are drivers specifically for us lappy owners and I'd rather use them than the beta 169s and in any event in testing, they are faster. You can get these drivers from Windows Update. Remember to check for optional updates. As for over clocking, I don't do it so I suppose that makes me a wimp! In reality, I always think graphic cards as well as processors are designed to work at a certain limit. I have no desire to fry either!!

Well I seem to find it's the other way around:

On my Dell XPS1710 with 7950GTX, 2GB Ram, Vista 32Bit

3DMark06

5249 169.01 (with screen distortion that needs Rivatuner to fix)

5224 156.69

5226 156.65

itunes cover flow was a lot quicker with 169.01 than the others. I may stick with 156.65 as I did get a few crashes with 169.01. Maybe I will try 169.04 but it seems like not a major improvement from what others have said. So I will wait a while now befre changing again.

Thanks for the hard work guys!

interesting. However I did get 30 marks increase over the 169.01. My setup being Inspiron 9400, intel 2 core duo at 2GH, 2MB Ram 667 bus and 9700GS. I've found these drivers to be the most stable yet and for us laptop owners. It would be nice to think that Nvidia will release better drivers for the lappy owners and do it soon rather than having to WAIT BLOODY MONTHS!!! I don't understand Nvidia. Seeing as laptops are now or soon will be if the trend continues OUTSELLING desktops surely it would be in their best interests to release up-to-date drivers for their mobile graphics chipsets. But NO!! Instead we have to rely on laptopvideo2go.com to provide us with drivers. Talking of which, keep up the good work! I'm happy with these drivers so far but I know in a couple of months I'll probably upgrade to the next 170 release of drivers designed for desktop owners. If we wait for the mobile version coming out, sadly we'll probably have to wait for another bloody year....

It seems I can't install this drivers :)

When I try to install them (with setup.exe) installation starts normally... but after few seconds a pop-up come and inform me that a firmware update (the firmware.exe) will start... :P

This firmware update asks me to connect a "the monitor HDMI" before procede... I don't use an external monitor! :)

Either my answer is Yes or No system asks me to reboot...

After rebooting nothing happens...

If I try again to install the drivers all happens in the same way... I've tried a few times... nothing... there's no way for me to install these drivers (even after If I've eliminated the file "firmware.exe" from the driver directory).

I've rolled back to 169.01.

Someone has some tweaks?

Maybe another "setup.exe" than doesn't asks for firmware updates?

Edited by jimmywarsall

Please Help...I installed firmware update and i do not have any sound to my tv now(through HDMI). My laptop is sony vaio ar-21m and my graphic card is go 7600. How can i go back to my previous firmware? Thanks..

Guest Sheldon

So....is it confirmed that these are not overclockable drivers? Sorry if this is a newbie question, i have read through the posts on this thread and am still a bit unsure.

If thy aren't overclockable, will you get a higher 3dmark score with overclocked 158.45 or these newer drivers at stock clock speeds??

Thanks in advance guys :)

It seems I can't install this drivers :)

When I try to install them (with setup.exe) installation starts normally... but after few seconds a pop-up come and inform me that a firmware update (the firmware.exe) will start... :P

This firmware update asks me to connect a "the monitor HDMI" before procede... I don't use an external monitor! :)

Either my answer is Yes or No system asks me to reboot...

After rebooting nothing happens...

If I try again to install the drivers all happens in the same way... I've tried a few times... nothing... there's no way for me to install these drivers (even after If I've eliminated the file "firmware.exe" from the driver directory).

I've rolled back to 169.01.

Someone has some tweaks?

Maybe another "setup.exe" than doesn't asks for firmware updates?

HELP !! :P

Try the modded INF and also try to use the original driver (in the upper folder), not the DELL and SONY release found in the subfolders.

Thanks I'll try.

Until now I havn't tried it because in the first post you said: "A lot of files in the DELL and SONY release differ from the original release" and having a Sony Vaio I wanted to use the sony version of the drivers... an the official drivers are much older than the sony release

However I'll try the NVIDIA release.

:)

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post