LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 7300 - best driver for gaming graphics?

MitchyMeth

NB: Acer Aspire 9410

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2450 (2.0 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB cache)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 (400 MB, 128 MB dedicated)

RAM: 2.0 GB

BIOS: version 5.72.22.43.48

I have recently installed a new driver (163.44 / windows vista 32bit) from this site and it massively improved my "graphics: desktop performance for windows aero" subscore rating from 2.4 to 3.6. But it lowered my "gaming graphics" subscore rating from 3.1 to 3.0.

Also it greatly altered my Total available graphics memory from 400 MB to 895 MB!

here are the exact changes to graphics memery viewed in display settings

BEFORE:

Total Available Graphics Memory: 400 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB

System Video Memory: 272 MB

Shared System Memory: 0 MB

AFTER:

Total Available Graphics Memory: 895 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB

System Video Memory: 0 MB

Shared System Memory: 767 MB

After the driver update the graphics and performance are considerably better (eg. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion), but it wonders me why that is, considering my gaming graphics subscore is lower and desktop graphics for aero is way higher. What does this mean?

Also. I was wondering, what is the difference between "system video memory" and "shared system memory" and how they apply to gaming graphics. My reasons for wanting this information are:

- I used to have 272 MB of system video memory and now have 0 MB.

- I used to have 0 MB of shared system memory and now have 767 MB.

im guessing the massive increase in shared system memory is derived from my 2.0 GB of RAM, but what happened to my 272 MB of system video memory?

are there any drivers recommended that will boost 'gaming graphics' subscore over 'desktop graphics for windows aero' subscore?

I know there are many questions i have asked but i cannot seem to find this information anywhere and would greatly appreciate anyone's time spent on this topic.

thank you,

MitchyMeth

I've done some experimenting recently and have some answer for what driver to use.. so far.

-i find that i get the higest 3dmark score with the 158.45 driver for vista32 (7300go). its only slighter higher than the 3dmark score using 163.69 but shares less of you system ram.

-also i have decided to overclock and have no regrets so far.

-i used rivatuner to clock to 474/900

-3dmark score before overclocking: 3092

-3dmark score after overclocking: 4723

oblivion runs and looks great on ultra high settings/ 864x480/ 2x anti-aliasing, rarely lags at all, with next to no artifacts.

-to take care of the heat i keep a standard table fan blowing on the vented side. (i went all the way and cut holes in a box ( the one the laptop cables/battery came in) esactly where the vents on the bottom of the laptop are and cut circulation holes all around the sides)- hard to explain but worked out nicely.

- i get an average temp of 40*C playing oblivion,, and 20*C in windows. ( temperatures vary depending on fan setting.. preffered setting -speed 1 or 2)

Im still trying to find out how much shared video memory and shared system memory really contribute to gaming graphics/performance. any help is greatly appreciated

Edited by MitchyMeth

• 3 months later...

I have the EXACTLY the same laptop, but the drivers u talk about wont install.

at thirst it sayes i dont have the right drivers for the hardware i got, and when I use the reinstall option offered by vista then it gives an error about me not having windows vista (OS).

any ideas?

Edited by wari

• 2 months later...

Which is best for 7300go for acer 9420, for vista 32 bit now? I have tried 174.35 but it downclocked can't change 3d performans mode, locked at low performans 3d mode always.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Victor Pires
Which is best for 7300go for acer 9420, for vista 32 bit now? I have tried 174.35 but it downclocked can't change 3d performans mode, locked at low performans 3d mode always.

I Have a 9423WSMi with a core2Duo 1.66 and I use 171.31 drivers and works great :) I also overclock mine to 450/900 with riva tuner and I get max GPU temp of 69º and no extra cooling :)

• 5 months later...

Okay, first of all, the 163.xx drivers are extremely outdated and it would be very wise to upgrade to at least the 174.74. Secondly, you are right when you say that shared video memory is shared with your system RAM. This is done via Nvidia'a Turbocache. Also, your WEI scores are not really important, they will vary with different drivers. You cannot in most sytems get your gaming score higher than your desktop score. When your system video memory is anything but zero you have an integrated card. When you have zero, that means that your video memory is dedicated or on board.

Some integrated cards also have zero as the amount of system Video RAM

• 5 months later...

Hi

i have an acer 9420..

Nvidia GeForce Go 7300

Vista Ultimate 32Bit

I am really stuck i have installed the nvdia 185.20 drivers and having a seriously problem with the heat that is comming off my laptop..i did have these drivers b4,, but i didnt have this problem but it was along time ago i installed them and did a complete reboot of system due to bad problems..Now my computer is getting 70 - 80 deg when playing games...

ANY GAME...

i play wolfenstein enemy territory..

because i host servers on there and had no problem previously.. i tried downgrading the graphics drivers but had problems playing the game the fps was just to low as low as 10 fps at times... which is bad for a game that is like 5-6 years old...

i have tried looking for a salution but i cant seem to find one.. and all these tools that are supposed to tweak and over under clock ur system or change fan speeds i am just not one to be playing wiht these because i dont know what i am doing and could cause permanent damage..

SO

i am hoping that some one on here would know how i could do this.. change the fan speed or something maybe a better update of drivers with a modded inf or something that would eneable me to play wolfenstein enemy territory comfortably with no lag...

Please could anyone assist me on this...

also just by having the laptop switched on its like 53 deg... i dont know what temp is critical but when i feel underneath its almost untouchable seriously hot.. like grabbing ur cup of tea of coffee when its just been made..

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jemcrystal

So I am trying to download this online game and I get directed to a download page that tells me I first need to install a driver. I have no knowledge in drivers other than I once played a game called World of Warcraft and it worked really good for me while everyone else was complaining they had lag. I then went to a game called EQII that I really wanted to play but I was lagging so bad I had to quit it; while no one else but me was lagging. I read a write up that it had something to do with how my driver percieved that kind of game. I have wondered to this day if I had a different driver could I have played EQII?

So this free online game I'm looking into now called Mabinogi sends me to this page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx with this massive list of drivers so big it would baffle a brain surgeon. Which I'm not. I'm just a common person who's feeling proud to have figured out the different between monitor and CPU!

I have Windows Home Vista Premium 32-bit.

Which one of those drivers on that link would you have picked to play an online game?

Jemcrystal,

Lag from a game could be many factors including drivers themselves. Drivers can be optimized in ways for certain games but other things such as the games resolution, CPU and memory can additionally be a factor. I would take a guess that it might have helped to some extent but not be the complete solution.

You need to identify your graphics card first and will be listed under ( method a or b ):

a ) Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager (upper left) -> expand 'Display Adapter'

b ) Start and type in 'devmgmt.msc' (no quotes) to bring up the Device Manager then click 'Display Adapter'

The drivers you link to are AMD. While we can help you to some extent you may run into issues depending on what your video card really is.