LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba X200 XP downgrade but no video driver

GauchoDoyle

Hi All,

I am new to the forums but would like some help with my X200 toshiba downgrade to XP pro. Everything except the video driver has installed no problem but no matter what nvidia driver I try to install the hardware is not recognised.

Has anyone got this to work, I am loosing some hair over this ;D

Gaucho

Download a driver from here then remember to replace the original INF with the modified one. Read the FAQ on this website.

Download a driver from here then remember to replace the original INF with the modified one. Read the FAQ on this website.

Thanks for your response and I did find the FAQ and found what I was looking for.

Thanks and nice one for the forum nvision

I shall be trying this one tomorrow, fingers crossed...

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15099

Gaucho

I'm curious if GauchoDoyle got it working. I'm facing the same problem. I've red the fora and the faq but still can't get the driver installed. Can somebody help me?

Tia,

Quota

Edited by Quota

Are you replacing the INF file?

Read this if you haven't already: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=33

I understand the replacement method. What i'm puzzled about is which driver should work. The one Gaucho is reffering to is for vista and won't install. So i downloaded the latest XP driver here, replaced the inf and did the have disk method. But then there's no support for my 8700M GT ? Where am I going wrong?

Thank for your help sofar.

Quota

(edit typo)

Edited by Quota

What do you mean by latest? 165.01 is not the latest... it's from April I think.

Grab 163.71, it'll have support for your video card.

I'm not at work today so cant verify, but I thought I have tried that driver too. If so, then with the original inf it says it doesn't support my hardware, and with the modded inf it says its for Vista? Btw I contacted Toshiba support, very bad helpdesk, and they say there will be no support for installing XP on their new laptops.. great :-(

I will have to wait till tomorrow to go further with this problem.

Tnx, Quota

I'm not at work today so cant verify, but I thought I have tried that driver too. If so, then with the original inf it says it doesn't support my hardware, and with the modded inf it says its for Vista? Btw I contacted Toshiba support, very bad helpdesk, and they say there will be no support for installing XP on their new laptops.. great :-(

I will have to wait till tomorrow to go further with this problem.

Tnx, Quota

Hi Quota,

Ye thought that was the one I used but it does say vista, d'oh. But I left it up and running with my customer who's happy. I used an older driver cause the newer one's hadn't got modded inf for our video card. The only other issue I had was the finger print pad which I got from one of the other high end laptops download pages on the Toshiba site.

If I get a chance later I shall have a look for the driver I used and post a link. I'm on an MCSE boot camp at the mo. One MCP down - 6 to go >_<

Gaucho

Gaucho

Hi Quota,

Ye thought that was the one I used but it does say vista, d'oh. But I left it up and running with my customer who's happy. I used an older driver cause the newer one's hadn't got modded inf for our video card. The only other issue I had was the finger print pad which I got from one of the other high end laptops download pages on the Toshiba site.

If I get a chance later I shall have a look for the driver I used and post a link. I'm on an MCSE boot camp at the mo. One MCP down - 6 to go >_<

Gaucho

Gaucho

Hi Gaucho,

well, that would make me very happy :-) I wait for that, tia. As for the finger print path, it's not secure enough for me. In the last CT I saw several tricks to bypass it. I go for dual boot with Vista Enterprise and Safeguard/bitlock the whole thing.

Is that MCSE bootcamp any good?

Quota

Hi Gaucho,

well, that would make me very happy :-) I wait for that, tia. As for the finger print path, it's not secure enough for me. In the last CT I saw several tricks to bypass it. I go for dual boot with Vista Enterprise and Safeguard/bitlock the whole thing.

Is that MCSE bootcamp any good?

Quota

163.71 doesn't support the 8700 GT and it took me 15mins to find this one...... :)

The course is intense enough, 12 hour days for a week, once a month for four months, our Gov are paying most of the bill through a project and my employer pays the rest. 8 on the course and all know IT well too. XP done in 2 day, suppose to be 2003 server on Friday but I'm not sure if we'll all be ready for that one and the hard ones are still to come. :)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=14217

Gaucho

MCP =)

Edited by GauchoDoyle

163.71 doesn't support the 8700 GT and it took me 15mins to find this one...... :)

So what's this then?

Excerpt:

; Pieter's INF version 3.223

; http://www.laptopvideo2go.com

; NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display INF file

; Copyright © NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

DriverVer = 09/17/2007, 6.14.11.6371

NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0409.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT"

So what's this then?

Excerpt:

; Pieter's INF version 3.223

; http://www.laptopvideo2go.com

; NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display INF file

; Copyright © NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

DriverVer = 09/17/2007, 6.14.11.6371

NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0409.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT"

I don't know but you didn't get it from here -

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15113

post link to the driver your talking about please.....

Gaucho

kk but who ever is posting the driver page should put the correct detail on the page. Ain't my bad it's their bad. I certainly would expect that the information being provided was correct or is that the standard on this site?

Gaucho

Yes!, working! :) :P :P

This is how it worked for me;

I removed all graphics drivers i've been playing with, then I did a setup from the 163.71 driver from which the inf has been overwritten by the one zipper provided, tnx for that!. After an error report saying this driver is for an older version of windows I had to reboot, after which all was ok. Its now running a fine fast 1680x1050 and I am very happy now :)

Tnx all for for ur support.

Gaucho, good luck with your MCSE, sounds like a pretty tough bootcamp.

Grtz all,

Quota

kk but who ever is posting the driver page should put the correct detail on the page. Ain't my bad it's their bad. I certainly would expect that the information being provided was correct or is that the standard on this site?

Gaucho

The list in the thread is of video card ORIGINALLY supported by the driver. The modified INF makes it so the driver works on all video cards.

The list in the thread is of video card ORIGINALLY supported by the driver. The modified INF makes it so the driver works on all video cards.

OK Thanks smax/zipper now we all know for sure, twas a head recker, so thanks to the site and for the drivers

Quota,

Glad to see your up and running too, it some screen on it on those x200's, enjoy.

All the best...

Gaucho