LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking nVidia 8400M G

FiShBuRn

Guest EDK-IPH

Hey can some one maby help me, I have a laptop/notebook.

Acer Aspire 7520 AMD Turiron 64 X2 TL58 1.9GHz / 3GB DDR2 / 250GB HDD/ TFT17" / DVDRW / Win Vista Home Premium/ Geforce 8400M G TurboCache.

the problem is that I can no finde the right driver fore my Geforce. Nvida does not have the driver. soo maby one of you can help me find a driver.

maby add a link. are new at this, it is fore my nephew.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• giga.ultra

• reiluke

• Claw

• ivan86

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Guest
I have that card too. Try to do a clean install of the drivers first. Clean your system and defrag your disk.

Respecting to the OC, mine is at 500/500 and I have a good improvement of almost 10fps in some games. My max temp is 78º OC´ed with heavier games. Without OC I get 71º.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing those informations. I'm really appreciating. Now I find that I can't OC it with the driver 174.31......All I could do is to underclock it! I got to find some older vision......(sigh)

Guest Guest
Hey can some one maby help me, I have a laptop/notebook.

Acer Aspire 7520 AMD Turiron 64 X2 TL58 1.9GHz / 3GB DDR2 / 250GB HDD/ TFT17" / DVDRW / Win Vista Home Premium/ Geforce 8400M G TurboCache.

the problem is that I can no finde the right driver fore my Geforce. Nvida does not have the driver. soo maby one of you can help me find a driver.

maby add a link. are new at this, it is fore my nephew.

The nVIDIA official web only provide drivers for desktop products. The drivers of laptops' will be given to notebook companies like acer. You can check it out on the acer official web though I think it won't help a lot coz acer is really lazy and the web is X'tremely slow......

If you can read Chinese, this page provides a lot of drivers range from GPU to keyboard.

http://drivers.mydrivers.com/

Hope this will help you.

1700du6.jpg

1700 for 8400M G, 600/1200/550 max temp 84c

Guest sn00pee

I was getting 2500-2600 in 3dmarks a while ago, but now my score has dropped to about 1600-1700.. with the same drivers. Has anyone ever had this occur? in some areas my avg fps have nearly been cut in half

I did install my laptop's mfg.'s drivers (sony) but I then went back to 171.16

im on a sony vaio T7100 2gb mem

Guest Bobbie
I was getting 2500-2600 in 3dmarks a while ago, but now my score has dropped to about 1600-1700.. with the same drivers. Has anyone ever had this occur? in some areas my avg fps have nearly been cut in half

I did install my laptop's mfg.'s drivers (sony) but I then went back to 171.16

im on a sony vaio T7100 2gb mem

I know this might be a ridiculously stupid suggestion, but is your power plugged in?

Your notebook will go into powersave mode when not plugged into AC. Framerate will drop to half.

Guest Guest

my configuration:

hp pavilion dv6560el

intel core 2 duo 2.0 gHZ(dual core)

2 gb ram ddr2

8400m gs ddr2 128mb

default Hz: 400/400/800

driver: 169.04

OC: 450/500/900 3dmark03 score: 6716 aero: 3.8 game:4.7 normal temperature: 50°C max temperature 65°C(assassin's creed test)

OC: 500/500/1000 3dmark03 score: 7048 aero: 4.0 game: 4.8 normal temperature: 50°C max temperature 70°C(assassin's creed test)

i prefer 169.04 with this driver i can OC with 174.74 aero only score 3.3....

i think this its the best score for this GPU......

bye bye

• 5 weeks later...
Guest agutaytay
WARNING TO ALL XP USERS:

You Cannot overclock if you upgrade to any of the 15xx or 16xx series drivers without flashing Bios. In my opinion it is better to stick with the stock 10xx drivers and overclock, than it is to upgrade to newer drivers without overclocking:

3DMark05 Scores:

158.22 - 2576

156.66 - 2587

163.16 - 2579

163.76 - 2642

101.28 (stock) overclocked from 400/400 to 425/460 (barely any overclocking) - 2722

I'm not sure if the overclocking problem applies to everyone on XP, but I know it applies to most people based on extensive forum research on my part.

If anyone has found a newer driver thats overclockable please let me know.

i thank you. i tried to overclock my acer aspire 5520g. i succeed to over clock cpu. but i could not succeed to overclock gpu. after my search i saw your message. and i tried it. finally i achived my aim and i overclocked my gpu also.

Guest agutaytay
I get a feeling that OC is only possible with Vista installed.

I've tried to OC my 8400m G with many versions of drivers and clocks will reset to default.

i had same problem with you. but i solve. i am acer aspire 5520g user. my laptop has nvidia 8400m g gpu and its operating system is windows XP. you are not using the proper gpu driver so you can not achive to over clock. if you use win xp, you must use 10xx series driver. you can download from here.

proper driver

• 1 month later...
Guest Victor

Hi all, I'm using Amilo Pa2548 and it comes with 8400m g graphics card. I am kind of worried about the temperatures of the GPU Diod and the MCP. I'm using Vista Ultimate and when I don't play games the temperatures are 71 degrees C of the GPU Diod and 71-74 of the MCP. I want to overclock the card but with these high temperatures it will a laptop killing. So can anybody tell me why the GPU is so hot and how to cool it in about 55-60 so I can overclock it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the info, this thread and the 8400GS thread were of much help in finding the best driver for my setup. Here is my info and what works best for me:

Setup:

ASUS S37Z 13.3"

Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz

2Gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G 256MB DDR2 DEV_0428

Driver: 169.09

3DMark06 Scores:

1280x800, 400/400/800 - default clock speed: 1213 marks

1280x800, 546/468/1449 - Setting from "Find Optimal" in NVIDIA Performance settings: 1786 marks!

marks1hq0.jpg

Very happy with these results. The card is a G86 chip, so I hope that it is not one of the lemons thats gets too hot and breaks. My idle temp for the gpu is around 56C and it shoots up to 75+C when doing the 3DMark tests.

Cheers,

CWalk

Edit: Max Temp I have seen is 76C

Edited by cwalk

to reiluke.

gud day. your are always taking about 3dmark06. can u give me link where i can download this software to use also to monitor what my overclocking progress. salamat dre

mine is acer aspire 4520g 552g16mi, 2.1ghz amd, 2gb ram with geforce 8400m g. what gpu driver is best and suited for mine that i can OC it. thanks a lot

• 2 months later...

Since this post is about 8400 MG, i want to ask how do you guys actually overclocked it? My RivaTuner v2.11 does not show "fan" tab in vista home premium OS. So i was afraid if i overlock my card, i might burn it since i cant even set fan speed without the "fan" tab. But i am able to see overclocked option and all. Everything that have to do with fan, i cant seem to find that option in both low level system tweaks n so on.

Edited by Jason Terio

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 8400 M G running at:

core - 600MHz (max setting)

shader - 1200MHz (max setting)

memory - 505MHz (becomes unstable above this value)

I'm using 179.13 and RivaTuner 2.11. Temperature is like 46-50 c when working with OS or 2D. Goes up to about 75 c when playing games. No extra cooling or anything, just keeping cooler clean and free from dust.

Before any overclocking I had 1101 points in 3DMark06. After o/c I got 1495.

@Jason Terio:

Don't worry about the fan... Just overclock the gpu and watch the temps with EVEREST or Speedfan. If it doesn't go above 85 c while in 3D mode then everything's fine.

@jlj0425:

http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/

Guys, is there any free software for CPU overclocking besides the RightMark's one? When I try to run the program my comp is immedietaly restarting... Thanks in advance

I got my 8400 M G running at:

core - 600MHz (max setting)

shader - 1200MHz (max setting)

memory - 505MHz (becomes unstable above this value)

I'm using 179.13 and RivaTuner 2.11. Temperature is like 46-50 c when working with OS or 2D. Goes up to about 75 c when playing games. No extra cooling or anything, just keeping cooler clean and free from dust.

Before any overclocking I had 1101 points in 3DMark06. After o/c I got 1495.

Great OC!!! :P

The max I´ve got OC´ing mine was 500/1200/500 and would become unstable after that and it´s a LG similar to yours.

Now I wouldn´t even try because all my laptop components (except the disk) is above 60º. :)

Maybe is because of the dust inside the laptop but I don´t know if I can clean it, not sure if it voids the warranty for opening the lappie, and how to.

What OS do you use? I use Win XP SP3.

Take care.

:)

i have a nvidia 9300m G that is only the old 8400m G but with support for directX 10...

I cannot overclock my card, rivatuner 2.11 doesnt run... i tried with EVGA precision but nothing..NVtweak for allow overclock fuction but nothing...

Please someone can help me?? i want overclock a bit my card but i really dunno how do.. need edit some registry key? help pls

Great OC!!! :P

The max I´ve got OC´ing mine was 500/1200/500 and would become unstable after that and it´s a LG similar to yours.

Now I wouldn´t even try because all my laptop components (except the disk) is above 60º. :)

Maybe is because of the dust inside the laptop but I don´t know if I can clean it, not sure if it voids the warranty for opening the lappie, and how to.

What OS do you use? I use Win XP SP3.

Take care.

:)

Thanks.

60º is a proper temp - 8400M G would get damaged at 120º or higher, and most CPU's can withstand at least 80º so don't worry.

8400M G's tend to hang up on 500+MHz memory clock, but core and shader should easily work on max settings.

I'm using Vista Home Premium SP1. Could you post your 3dmark06 result? I'm interested in switching to XP, I heard the performance is about 30% higher compared to Vista.

Please someone can help me?? i want overclock a bit my card but i really dunno how do.. need edit some registry key? help pls

Try downloading 179.13 or 178.24 (by Dox) drivers.

Well I forgot to say that those temps are on iddle and that´s not normal because I used to have around 50. Everytime I game the GPU goes above 80º, between 85º and 88º and the CPU 83º. So I think it´s not normal.

When I used overclocked the GPU the temps never reached 80º, it was always between 70º en 78º.

I don´t think there´s a big difference in performance between vista sp1 and xp sp3 ritgh now. I´m just using xp because I think that in order to use vista I should have at least 3 gigs of RAM. In a few months time I´ll switch probably.

With the 179.13 my results were:

3DMark Score 1157 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 425

SM 3.0 Score 418

CPU Score 1052

As you can see not much. Of course is with stock clocks, don´t wanna overclock for now.

When I used to overclock, don´t remember the driver I used, the best I got with 500/1200/500 clocks were 1350 and something.

Take care

Edited by giga.ultra

You're all talking about the 128-MB GeForce 8400M G as found on Acer 4520G laptops right?

If you are, then why can't I overclock my GPU no matter what driver version I am using? I have tried all that was mentioned in this thread but none of them allowed me to overclock my GPU (Some drivers like 169.04 or 179.13 won't install at all. The installer says that a compatible driver was not found for my hardware. And I kept thinking... these drivers are compatible with the 8400M G right?

Anyway, I'm using Vista SP1

Please help!

Edited by jgvicencio

Yes we are.

That´s odd!

Are you using the modded inf to install it?

Maybe it´s the Acer bios that won´t allow you to change the clocks.

Reiluke had a laptop like you and he managed to Oc his GPU, you can see pages behind. Now he changed to a 8600 GS 256mb.

Lucky him

Some drivers like 169.04 or 179.13 won't install at all. The installer says that a compatible driver was not found for my hardware.

Just as giga.ultra says, you should use the modded inf. There is a guide on how to do it.

What software did you try to overclock with?

I just tried Dell's 178.14 optimized for 8400M GS. They suck. Far Cry started to lag on full detail, 3dmark score dropped 300 points. Reverting to Dox 178.24.