LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help Overclocking Vostro 1500 8600M GT

Meetloaf

I don't know if it's currently possible, but I am interested in overclocking my video card. I currently have the 163.69 forceware drivers running. I just got the new Crysis Beta, and I want to try and squeeze a little more performance so I can experience at least a little eye-candy. I'm definitely a n00b as far as over-clocking is concerned, but I am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Oh yes, I'm running Windows XP Pro

So, I'm surprised no one hopped on this one. I D/L'd the latest RivaTuner 2.05, and it appears that I am able to Overclock, as the settings persist through a reboot...but who knows, since RivaTuner says that my 8600 is DDR3, which is incorrect.

What I need are suggestions on what I should overclock my card to...so if anyone has any experience overclocking mobile cards, and/or overclocking the 8600M GT, I would be very appreciative for any help you could provide.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Bournie
So, I'm surprised no one hopped on this one. I D/L'd the latest RivaTuner 2.05, and it appears that I am able to Overclock, as the settings persist through a reboot...but who knows, since RivaTuner says that my 8600 is DDR3, which is incorrect.

I'm a pretty sure, that a 8600 card has DDR3...

I'm a pretty sure, that a 8600 card has DDR3...

Some models (like on some Dell notebooks) use GDDR2 @ 400 Mhz.

Some models (like on some Dell notebooks) use GDDR2 @ 400 Mhz.

My card is DDR2. As an update, I don't know if the over-clocking works with my card. I don't know how to get it to work. I set the clock speeds higher, but I don't think it's actually chanigng anything. I've heard of something being locked that sometimes prevents change?

Any clues?

Thanks again

My card is DDR2. As an update, I don't know if the over-clocking works with my card. I don't know how to get it to work. I set the clock speeds higher, but I don't think it's actually chanigng anything. I've heard of something being locked that sometimes prevents change?

Any clues?

Thanks again

Please make sure you are running a driver prior to 16x.xx version.

The 16x.xx drivers are NOT overclockable.

You might want to try the 158.45 driver as many people have had much success with it.

Please make sure you are running a driver prior to 16x.xx version.

The 16x.xx drivers are NOT overclockable.

You might want to try the 158.45 driver as many people have had much success with it.

Should I use that driver in conjunction with RivaTuner 2.05?

Thanks!

If not, what can I use to overclock?

P.S. Isn't the 158.45 driver for Vista only? I'm not finding it for XP 32 bit on laptopvideo2g0.

Edited by Meetloaf

K guys, I finally got it, with much help of course. I used ATI tools and the 101.29 drivers. Old I know but my 3dmark06 score went up 600 points (3735) at 1280 resolution. Thanks for all of your good Karma.