LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros modded Driver for Windows 7, Vista and WinXP

mobilenvidia

Thanks for the replies. I've tried 7.6.1.111 with/without the modded INF and for some reason it freezes up my computer. I then try to install the original version I used, 7.6.1.162 but then it freezed as well, I even tried 7.6.1.162 with modded INF 1.20 and 1.23 but none of them worked. 7.6.1.184 wouldn't even install and the other drivers only give 1-2 bars. In the end I did a system restore back to 7.6.1.162 with 1.20 and it worked with no freeze, very strange.

I guess I will be sticking with 7.6.1.162 and I don't think I will be updating for a long time, that driver is very good :)

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• stanny

• chiefwigms

• UberB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Atheros drivers are so strange to work with.

If it aint broke don't fix it :)

Hi!

I couldn't get drivers to work on both Vista and XP. It always installs like an AR5008 driver, but mine is AR5008X (DEV_0024&SUBSYS_3072168C). So I tried to add my device into INF (as ATHR_DEV_3072.ndi like it is in original drivers). The driver installed just fine, but it couldn't find any networks. So I searched the INF for diferences and I found that these lines are missing in modded [11n.reg] section:

HKR, Ndi,						   Service,	0, "athr"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces,				UpperRange, 0, "ndis5"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces,				LowerRange, 0, "wlan,ethernet"

They are the very first lines in original INF, I dunno why you have removed (or what are they for), but it is my fix. After a re-added those lines my Wi-Fi was fully working again. I have to notice, that I use your modded INFs because they are full of options to set in device manager, I have no NMI:Parity problems by default. So, my question is, why this modded INF supports so few devices (about 20), it used to support plenty of them, but it doesn't anymore. :)

Yeah, and lastly I'm missing Ad-Hoc Channel Select feature in your INF, could you please add it? The lines are

HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 ParamDesc,					  0,		%adhocchannel%
HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 default,						0,		"10"
HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 min,							0,		"1"
HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 max,							0,		"11"
HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 step,						   0,		"1"
HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 base,						   0,		"10"
HKR, Ndi\params\defaultIbssChannel,	 type,						   0,		"int"

But I'm not 100% sure. Just a little feature-request :) . I know, you have many things to do and this INF is not one of those important, but this feature look really useful (at least for me).

Thank you for your hard and benefical work, and keep it up! :unsure:

EDIT: I have edited this post a while ago and the Quick Editor has broken spaces in CODE tag into some strange  s. Dunno why, but it looks like a bug and should be fixed. :P

Edited by ElectriX

Cheers for thr above dude, have made some adjustments and modded INF v1.24 is now out (see first post)

Dev 24 = AR5008 and also inlcludes the AR5008x

There are only really the very few devices you see in the INF, most have different configs like antenna connectors etc etc.

I've renamed Dev 24 to AR5008(x) to cover the different versions :)

Thanks for update. It works perfect now :) . I have noticed that you changed max value of channel from 11 (as posted) to 14. Why it was restricted to 11 in original? Do you think it was for some reason, or just a mistake? Thanks!

Problem Solved...... Thanks "Mobilenvidia" for the Modded drivers

v7.6.1.221 with modded INF v1.24 for both WinXP x86 and x64

Now my Vaio P Series connect with my iPhone 3G using Ad Hoc Network .... and use PdaNet for 3G data browsing....

Many Many Thanks

I have tried 7.6.1.204 V1.24 on vista ... ad hoc still not working....

But I can install V7.6.1.211 V1.24 ... that can solve the problem... but it is for WinXP not Vista ... ?

我怎么下载不了啊

See first post, to download the driver

hey, quick question, does anyone know when will official atheros wlan utility work in vista64?

They plan to launch it to coincide with the first flying pig :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jambon

Hi. I'm using Atheros v7.6.1.221_v1.24 in Windows XP x64. How can I change the Regulatory domain? It only searches for wireless networks in channels 1-11 so it's looks like the Regulatory domain is set to US. I want to be make the wireless card search for wireless network in channels 1-13. My wireless router can be set to use channel 13, the other 2 pc I have can search for wireless network on channel 13 only this one don't want to search :| .

Hi. I'm using Atheros v7.6.1.221_v1.24 in Windows XP x64. How can I change the Regulatory domain? It only searches for wireless networks in channels 1-11 so it's looks like the Regulatory domain is set to US. I want to be make the wireless card search for wireless network in channels 1-13. My wireless router can be set to use channel 13, the other 2 pc I have can search for wireless network on channel 13 only this one don't want to search :| .

I've enabled the ability to use channels 1-14 in adhoc.

The ability to use channels 1-14 from a router might be linked to the language setting of the OS.

Guest Jambon

In Regional and language options I have this settings:

Regional Options

* Standard and format country: Romania

From what I know in Romania I'm allow to use channels 1-13. (The other 2 wireless cards have Radlink chipset and I can use channels 1-13 with them, in fact it looks like with them the channel I can use is autoset based on my location.)

I'm going to set language for non-unicode programs to Romania and try it again.

Try setting it to French as they support 1-14

Does your router support 1-13 ? or are you trying adhoc ?

Guest Jambon

Tryed French no changed. It just scan channels 1-11. The wireless router is in ap mod running on channel 13, not in adhoc mode.

Here is a thing that I did In my Windows XP x64. I installed this drivers:

http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tools/updat...-xp-7611491.zip

After this I got this in Device Manager:

Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter - Wireless Intermediate Driver

After installing this I installed this (Driver and Utility):

http://files.laptopvideo2go.com/wlan/atheros_v7.6.1.210.exe

Looking in device manager I saw that

1) Atheros AR505GS Wireless Network Adapter didn't changed (witch is normal cause 7.6.1.210 is only for x86)

2) Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter - Wireless Intermediate Driver was still there (it's visible if you set show hidden device but it looks to run, no ? or x near his name so it must be running), now I looked to Driver Details tab, only one file witch looks to be C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wsimdx.sys (File version: 1.0.0.86)

I went to C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ , there is no wsimdx.sys file (I can see all files (I have set display hidden files in Windows) ), in this folder is only wsimd.sys witch has File version: 1.0.0.86 (why in the Driver Details tab it says wsimdx.sys and in the location is only wsimd.sys and why the driver is loaded and running I don't know; maybe it's just my Windows XP x64 witch is almost dead)

This way Atheros Client Utility 7.0.2.49 from http://files.laptopvideo2go.com/wlan/atheros_v7.6.1.210.exe is running without a problem in Windows XP x64. If I remove Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter - Wireless Intermediate Driver then Atheros Client Utility 7.0.2.49 stop working.

Even with Atheros Client Utility running in Windows XP x64 the wireless network card still don't want to scan for my wireless network running in AP mode on channel 13. :|

Atheros Client Utility in this windows Curent Status -> Advanced it says this Channel Set : United States

I added this to registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0008\NDI\params\ccode]

"ParamDesc"="Regional Domain"

"Base"="10"

"default"="US"

"type"="enum"

@="GB"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0008\NDI\params\ccode\enum]

"DZ"="Africa"

"CN"="Asia"

"AU"="Australia"

"CA"="Canada"

"GB"="Europe"

"FR"="France"

"IL"="Israel"

"JP"="Japan"

"MX"="Mexico"

"BR"="Sourth America"

"US"="United States"

(change "0008" with the number of your Atheros card). Now in advanced in driver I have Regional Domain. I changed this to Europe. Now Atheros Client Utility in this windows Curent Status -> Advanced it says this Channel Set : United Kingdom . Atheros Client Utility still don't want to scan on channels 12 and 13. In there is an entry "ccode" so I'm sure that this is affecting something in the driver, and the fact that Atheros Client Utility changes the Channel Set is somehow confirming this.

Your link for the 7.6.1.221 driver with inf 1.24 is broken

or maybe server is just down?

Can someone else test this on Windows XP x64?

1) Install drivers 7.6.1.184 : http://download2.dvd-driver.cz/atheros/dri....1.184-whql.zip

2) Download this file: http://rapidshare.com/files/209876654/WSIMD_XP_x64.rar.html . Go to Control Panel -> Network Connection -> Select your wireless card -> Properties -> General tab -> click Install -> Chose Service -> Have disk -> Browse and select the path were you extracted WSIMD_XP_x64.rar -> Select Wireless Intermediate Driver -> OK

3) Download this file: http://rapidshare.com/files/209878959/Atheros_WLAN.rar.html . Extract the file, run setup.exe, chose Install DriverACU both (don't worry about the fact that it's says it's installing Drivers and other things, I removed the drivers; I wasn't able to find a stand alone Atheros Client Utility)

After doing this see if Atheros Client Utility is running (in my case it was working but I didn't tested with a fresh new Windows XP x64). Open it go to Profile management click Scan (it should let you do this) and see if it's seeing your wireless network.

Here is a screenshot:

screenshot1c.th.jpg

Your link for the 7.6.1.221 driver with inf 1.24 is broken

or maybe server is just down?

May have been a server glitch, all working now

I still cannot download...
Mkae sure you have no 3rd party Browser addons that would stop the download

Just a quick thankyou.

Had some signal strength issues on my Asus 1000HE with the Win7 Beta 7048 (Ultimate) installed. Adding the latest version of your modded Vista x86 drivers did the trick for me nicely!

Again, thanks for some great work!

--Ed--