LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros modded Driver for Windows 7, Vista and WinXP

mobilenvidia

Hello! Thanks for modded driver! Can anybody tell, what are ALL parameters means in the settings of drivers? (sorry for english, from russia) For example this foto:

22509.jpg

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• stanny

• chiefwigms

• UberB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi! Thanks for the modded drivers! I cant use them unfortunately :)

After the wizard installs them, the device manager says that it cant use the driver because it couldnt verify the digital signature. I am using Win7 x64. Does anybody know a way around this?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Below are the modded Atheros drivers to enable all known settings.

The modded drivers contain the NMI/Parity error fix mentioned below.

After weeks of testing, tweaking and reinstalling Windows, I've found the culprit to the NMI:Parity error for Atheros cards on some systems (well at least the i9400 anyway)

Below is the latest driver with a modded INF that includes the fix and has everything enabled.

DO NOT adjust pcieaspm setting to either 1 or 3 !! this could possibly cause the error to happen again (not the actual fix but part of it)

Just extract the driver somewhere and use the update driver method to install.

If s previous driver is installed remove this and if it auto detects an older one then remove this as well, do this until it no longer installs a driver.

Reboot after the uninstall then point the new 'hardware found' to the directory where the modded driver is.

Once installed reboot again.

v8.0.0.279 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

Should work for ALL Atheros Chipset versions

v7.7.0.449 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.225 with modded INF v1.28 v8.0.0.225 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.219 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v7.7.0.384 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.171 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v2.0.0.73 with modded INF v1.28 for both vista and Windows 7 x64 only

v8.0.0.144 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v7.7.0.319 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v2.0.0.72 with modded INF v1.28 for both vista and Windows 7

v7.7.0.259 with modded INF v1.26 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.7.0.233 with modded INF v1.24 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.7.0.231 with modded INF v1.24 for both Vista x86 and x64

v2.0.0.70 with modded INF v1.26 for both vista and Windows 7

v7.6.1.221 with modded INF v1.26 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.204 with modded INF v1.26 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.184 with modded INF v1.24 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.204 with modded INF v1.23 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.184 with modded INF v1.23 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.162 with modded INF v1.20 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.170 with modded INF v1.21 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.122 with modded INF v1.20 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.122 with modded INF v1.19 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.0.172 with modded INF v1.19 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.0.83 with modded INF v1.17 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.3.1.109 with modded INF v1.15 for both Vista x86 and x64

Feedback is encouraged, would be nice to know it fixes the problem for other

INF version changes

v1.11

original release based on other modded INF

v1.12

added support for all Atheros Chipsets

Changed the mode options to just 11a, 11bg or auto, setting should allow for legacy devices and 11n in 40 and 20Mhz modes

Added manual transmit speeds for 11a, 11g and 11b only needed for legacy routers if ever at all.

Now supports full 3x3 aerial mode

Set Receive buffers to max

Fixed LED's for Gigabyte, hopefully this doesn't break it for other devices, should have a slow blink not connected and a solid LED for connected.

Added Sleep mode

Fixed Transmit power

v1.13

Removed all legacy commands from INF, these were causing slow surfing

Leaving essential tweaks still adjustable in device properties.

Set powersave feature to off and also turned off pcieaspm (these can be turned on, but pcieaspm to on.on gives me parity error)

v1.14

Removed the Netband settings couldn't get this to work 100%, driver will automatically choose fastest link speed, but can no longer force a slower one

v1.15

Added 'Force Wake' enable to stop the WLAN card from going into lower power state mode, this makes a big difference to performance

Also fixes the slowness this driver had with the Gigabyte WI06N WLAN card.

Changed the LED to slow flash at no connection, solid during connection, once connected the flashing will speed up with rate of data send/received

remove these 2 lines from INF if this is not what you want and you prefer v1.13 version:

HKR, ,softLEDEnable,0x00002,  "1"
HKR, ,swapDefaultLED,0x00002,  "1"

v1.16

Minor LED fix

v1.17

Added support for the 928x Chipset

v1.18

Reworked the INF completely, added support for the 922X/928X chipsets.

v1.19

Fixed 92XX install bug :)

v1.20

Added lots more tweakble features in the Device Properties to play with.

Set Receive buffers to 256

v1.21

Fixed Win XP lack of 'Advanced Properties'

v1.22

Pre 11n cards no longer can change the speed settings (most were 11n anyway)

v1.23

Changed name for AR928x to include AR5009 (half height version) and AR5BH92

v1.24

Added Adhoc channel select to the INF, thanks to ElectriX

Fixed driver install issue

v1.25

Added, dynamic MIMO power save and Adhoc 11n settings to control panel.

v1.26

Added support for the new AR chipsets and also a couple of missing older ones.

v1.27

Modded 2.0.0.72 to enable Windows 7 Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

v1.28

Fixed 32bit OS error with v1.27

v1.29

Added 'Atheros IHV Service' support

Using the latest modded drivers for win 7 the Atheros IHV service is not working properly. An error is generated on startup saying the dll is not found! However the card works properly with no other ill effects!

Below are the modded Atheros drivers to enable all known settings.

The modded drivers contain the NMI/Parity error fix mentioned below.

After weeks of testing, tweaking and reinstalling Windows, I've found the culprit to the NMI:Parity error for Atheros cards on some systems (well at least the i9400 anyway)

Below is the latest driver with a modded INF that includes the fix and has everything enabled.

DO NOT adjust pcieaspm setting to either 1 or 3 !! this could possibly cause the error to happen again (not the actual fix but part of it)

Just extract the driver somewhere and use the update driver method to install.

If s previous driver is installed remove this and if it auto detects an older one then remove this as well, do this until it no longer installs a driver.

Reboot after the uninstall then point the new 'hardware found' to the directory where the modded driver is.

Once installed reboot again.

THANKYOU MOBILENVIDIA

You are my GOD since today. I love you man! :)

I just checked with DPC latency Checker and it's amazing how low is the latency now. AMAZING WORK.

I Have a few questions if I may(to all):

1. What is the right 'Scan Valid Interval' value?

2. Why in the advanced settings for the Atheros AR9285 wireless card with the modified 8.0.279 driver I can't choose at "Wireless Mode" pure 11N signal, only mixed ones (11na etc.). Which is the right value?

3.I want to set the 11n mode only, not mixed. And why there are three "11b only" values?

4. Why can't I choose 11na(40Mhz)and '11n(5Ghz)and a'

4. Which value is better for maximum throughput: 11nbg(40Mhz) or '11n(2.4Ghz) and g and b'

I want a value that will limit the use of other protocols except 802.11N.

Guest Curious

will there be modded 2.0.0.75 drivers soon?

and I'm also curious whether the modded 2.0.0.73 modded drivers will give me better performance over the 2.0.0.75 so I can decide which to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Small error in 8.0.0.279 INF file -- hw id for 5007EG points to wrong devicedescr (Ath. 5006+ branch)

(line 37)
%ATHER.DeviceDesc.001[b]B[/b]%  = ATHER_DEV_OS61_0013.ndi,    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001[b]C[/b]

while right descr for 001C (Ath. 5006E+ branch) are present.

I've installed v9.0.0.125 with modded INF v1.29 on Vista 32 on my Dell Inspiron 9400 with a SparkLAN WPEA-124N NIC. So far, so good, works like a charm!! Shame that this (i.m.h.o. very good) card isn't recognized as such, but generic as a Atheros AR5008 device... Room for improvement.

Thank You! I just purchased a DWA-552 adapter to use with my Win7 Ultimate x64 box and a DIR-655. I have my xBox 360 connected directly to the router and use it as a Media Center Extender for the PC. With both the inbox and latest drivers I got a strong signal and 300Mbps connection. However, using the xBox as a Media Center Extender was a non-starter using the latest 9.0.0.125 driver. Recorded TV started to stream fine and then started to stutter. I installed the 8.0.0.279 driver with the v1.29 modded inf without any problem. I turned BackgroundScan On/Off to OFF. Now I have flawless streaming HD recorded video from my Media Center to my xBox 360 Media Center Extender. Next, I am going to try to make my own tweak to the v1.29 modded inf to try to install the 9.0.0.125 driver with all the tweaks showing.

Update: I tried the modded inf with the 9.0.0.125 driver. It installed fine once I got past the unsigned driver warning. I turned off the BackgroundScan in advanced settings. No joy. I had the same stuttering. I reverted back to the modded 8.0.0.279 driver and was up and running again. Just for kicks, I tried the unmodded 8.0.0.279 driver. Much to my surprise that worked fine also. So, it may be the driver and not the mods that addressed or caused the issue. Regardless, it is great to have all the tweaks available in the modded driver.

Edited by btschuster

Guest FattysGoneWild

I have an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter on my Acer Aspire One netbook. It has been hell getting wireless to work properly with WIN7. I just recently installed the following a few minutes ago.

v8.0.0.279 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

It has been up and running fine for the last 2 hours. This is a great sign. I still get some chokes or slight freeze when dl a big file. But no way near as bad as before. My only question. When installing. It mentioned about not being digitally signed blah blah. I installed it and have lost my little blinking wireless light. Is that do to these drivers? Also. Any settings need adjusting? I am on a G network. The only thing I turned off in the settings was Power Saver Mode set to Normal and changed to Off.

Guest Sandmann

thx for the new modded driver. it works fine with all my different cards (ar5008, ar9280).

but i´ve a question. whats the differecnce btw the 8. oder the 9. driver? (i use win7 64bit)

thx for your work and greetings from germany

thx for the new modded driver. it works fine with all my different cards (ar5008, ar9280).

but i´ve a question. whats the differecnce btw the 8. oder the 9. driver? (i use win7 64bit)

thx for your work and greetings from germany

Sorry for delay :), I've not been able to work out the v9 driver differences.

It might be getting ready for 3x3 (450Mbps) cards, just not sure.

Guest stevedogg

Sorry for delay :), I've not been able to work out the v9 driver differences.

It might be getting ready for 3x3 (450Mbps) cards, just not sure.

Wow thank you for these modded drivers. I just got an Atheros AR5009 half-height mini-pcie card (AR9280 chipset) that supports Wake-On-Wireless. Is there a way to enable the feature in the driver? I see no "Wake Up Capabilities" or similar option in Advanced settings. Thanks again for these drivers.

That would be a BIOS feature, as it would need to keep power to the WLAN card for it to detect WLAN activity to switch the Notebook back on.

If it's not a feature in the system BIOS settings, then you won't be able to Wake on Wireless, basically the same as WOL

Guest stevedogg

That would be a BIOS feature, as it would need to keep power to the WLAN card for it to detect WLAN activity to switch the Notebook back on.

If it's not a feature in the system BIOS settings, then you won't be able to Wake on Wireless, basically the same as WOL

I currently lobbying to have the option added to my laptop's BIOS :). Do you think that the "Allow this device to wake the computer" would become active (i.e. not greyed out), and the "Wake Up Capabilities" options appear, if the option were enabled in BIOS? I wasn't sure if it was a BIOS or a driver issue (or both); fwiw, WOL currently works on my laptop, even though there is no explicit BIOS option. Perhaps WOL is enabled and WOWLAN disabled implicitly in my BIOS.

Guest stevedogg

Sorry for the noob questions, but is there a way to determine which options/features are available in the driver, so that they may be added to the INF? While investigating the WOWLAN problem (my laptop manufacturer ASUS tech support told me BIOS is not the issue), I took a look at the INF for my LAN card (Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller), and found the following entries:

HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities,		ParamDesc,	0,  	 %WakeUpCapabilities%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities,		Type,		0,  	 "enum"
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"0",		0,	 %None%
;HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"1",		0,	 %LinkChange%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"2",		0,	 %MagicPacket%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"4",		0,	 %PatternMatch%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"6",		0,	 %MagicPacket_PatternMatch%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"7",		0,	 %All%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities,		Default,	0,	 "6"

These correspond to the "WakeUpCapabilities" option in the Advanced section of the adapter properties. If I select "None" for that option, the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option greys out in the Power Management tab, and the "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" option disappears. With the default setting, "Magic Packet & Pattern Match," the Power Management options are present and work properly (WOL works).

I tried something dumb and just copied the WakeUpCapabilities registry key to the corresponding Params key for the AR5009 adapter, which added the option to the Advanced tab of adapter properties. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything when you change the value (not surprising, since "WakeUpCapabilities" might not mean anything to the wireless driver).

Sorry for the noob questions, but is there a way to determine which options/features are available in the driver, so that they may be added to the INF? While investigating the WOWLAN problem (my laptop manufacturer ASUS tech support told me BIOS is not the issue), I took a look at the INF for my LAN card (Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller), and found the following entries:

HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities,		ParamDesc,	0,  	 %WakeUpCapabilities%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities,		Type,		0,  	 "enum"
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"0",		0,	 %None%
;HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"1",		0,	 %LinkChange%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"2",		0,	 %MagicPacket%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"4",		0,	 %PatternMatch%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"6",		0,	 %MagicPacket_PatternMatch%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, 	"7",		0,	 %All%
HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpCapabilities,		Default,	0,	 "6"

These correspond to the "WakeUpCapabilities" option in the Advanced section of the adapter properties. If I select "None" for that option, the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option greys out in the Power Management tab, and the "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" option disappears. With the default setting, "Magic Packet & Pattern Match," the Power Management options are present and work properly (WOL works).

I tried something dumb and just copied the WakeUpCapabilities registry key to the corresponding Params key for the AR5009 adapter, which added the option to the Advanced tab of adapter properties. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything when you change the value (not surprising, since "WakeUpCapabilities" might not mean anything to the wireless driver).

I Added the above to the attached v9.0.0.163 driver.

It won't enable Wake on my system stays greyed out.

But may work for you, let us know how you get on.

atheros_v9.0.0.163_v1.29.exe

Guest stevedogg

I Added the above to the attached v9.0.0.163 driver.

It won't enable Wake on my system stays greyed out.

But may work for you, let us know how you get on.

Thank you for doing that. I wasn't able to use the 9.0.0.163 driver because of a "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device" error. I was able to use the INF file with the 8.0.0.316 driver. The "Wakeup Capabilities" option shows up in the Advanced tab, but the wake option is still greyed out in Power Management. It was a long shot anyway since it was taken from an LAN card driver INF. I did find similar entries (WakeUpCapabilities) in an INF file for a Broadcom chipset (Dell 1397).

I'm not sure what has to be done to enable this feature :). You and I both have cards that support it (9280 chipset).

Try this:

Configure Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN)

In Windows® 7, to enable support for Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN) Group Temporal Key (GTK) Rekey, and Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) power-management scenarios, you must modify a registry key. GTK is used to encrypt and decrypt network traffic. EAP is an authentication framework that can be used over wired and wireless networks.

GTK Rekey and EAP wakeup are disabled by default, because not all devices support these options. A computer that is currently sleeping will not wake up on GTK or EAP actions, even if the network adapter supports them.

To enable WoWLAN support for GTK and EAP scenarios

To enable WoWLAN support for GTK and EAP scenarios, create or modify the following registry key:

Key Name: EnableWoWLAN

Type: DWORD

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NativeWifiP\Parameters

Value: 1

In addition to modifying this registry key, you must also configure the network device in the Device Manager.

Open Device Manager.

Right-click the network card you want to configure and select Device Properties.

In the Power Management tab, select the Allow this device to wake up the computer check box.

After configuring this registry key, the computer will respond to requests on GTK rekeying and to an EAP request-identity packet.

Didn't work for me though :)

I must try this on a Ralink based WLAN card which has good EAP support.

Broadcom WOWLAN settings (modded to work with Atheros INF) but alas still no WOWLAN for me :)

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities, ParamDesc,, %WakeUpCapabilities%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities, type,, "enum"

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "0",, %None%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "1",, %MagicPacket%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "2",, %NetPattern%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "28",, %LossofAP%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "3",, %MagicNet%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "29",, %LossMagic%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "30",, %LossNet%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities\enum, "31",, %All%

HKR, Ndi\params\WakeUpCapabilities, default,, "3"

Guest Guest

Try this:

Didn't work for me though :)

I must try this on a Ralink based WLAN card which has good EAP support.

I tried that earlier. It was suggested by ASUS tech support:

"WOWLAN doesn't need to be supported by BIOS. This feature is different with WOLAN although they looks like a similar function.

Please refer to the following page to learn how to configure wake on wireless lan:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee851581(WS.10).aspx"

I'm not sure that I believe them about BIOS.

Broadcom WOWLAN settings (modded to work with Atheros INF) but alas still no WOWLAN for me :)

Thanks for adding that too. I replaced the WakeUpCapabilities section in your last INF with these settings, added a few missing strings, and installed with 8.0.0.316. No luck for me either :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevedogg

Update on WOWLAN with the AR9280 chipset: I was told by Atheros that none of their customers (i.e. OEM WLAN card manufacturers) support WOWLAN. The WAKE pin on the chip is not wired to anything >.< This is why there are no WOWLAN options in the INF; they are turned off until someone actually wires up the hardware to enable the feature. In short: the chip supports it, but the rest of the WLAN board does not :)