LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 5920G GDDR2 8600m GT Upgrade to GDDR3 8600mGT ?

Jasperbones

Hi there,

Im looking for a GDDR3 Version auf the 8600m GT with 256MB GDDR3 (700Mhz 1400DDR) to replace my 512MB GDDR2 (400Mhz 800DDR) Version.

I don't know if it will work or where i can get an GDDR3 card. But if i could get one and it works, i have a 8600m GT 512MB to give away.

Have you any tips for me here? :)

so long =)

Jasper

Don't have any yet :) And even if I had some price would be pretty high for a fairly small performance jump...

I doubt there would be any noticeable performance gain at all. Not worth it at all.

Actually, benchmarks are posted at a few places and the gains are considerable..

Hmm. I'd seen a few in passing that said otherwise, but I could be wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think that the 8800 Series will come as MXM-II ?

Great Info.

254$ ~ 180€ inkl. shipping to Germany... would be a nice birthday present ^^

Sow what is the best video card that you can (or will be able to in the future) in a mxm ll slot?

If i was a mind reader, and had a crystal ball i would be glad to tell you... But seriously, if i had to guess, since the 8600m is currently nvidia's type-II... If they stay with that mentality, i'd say maybe next year, a 9600m would replace it.. Just like "possibly" a 9700m would replace the current 8700m.. That is, if nvidia decides to go that route.. I guess a better answer would be next years Type-II from nvidia. If unchanged, would fit.

For Right now, the 8600m GT w/256mb & 3DDR is the current top "Type-II" directx-10 card.. Although, i have heard "rumors" of a 8600m "GTS" Type-II coming down the pipeline.

Jasperbones please update us after upgrade your 8600M GT DDR2 to DDR3.I'm also thinking about upgrading my 5920G VGA

its just a question of money -.-

but when i do something u will know first here ^^

If i was a mind reader, and had a crystal ball i would be glad to tell you... But seriously, if i had to guess, since the 8600m is currently nvidia's type-II... If they stay with that mentality, i'd say maybe next year, a 9600m would replace it.. Just like "possibly" a 9700m would replace the current 8700m.. That is, if nvidia decides to go that route.. I guess a better answer would be next years Type-II from nvidia. If unchanged, would fit.

For Right now, the 8600m GT w/256mb & 3DDR is the current top "Type-II" directx-10 card.. Although, i have heard "rumors" of a 8600m "GTS" Type-II coming down the pipeline.

For pc's the 9800 will be 3 times as powerfull as the 8800 If this also counts for the mxm cards I will be able to play crysis on high!.

Annyway im not gonna upgrade my laptop for another half year (warranty).

Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

Hey there,...

new hope for me ^^

a friend has a gaming notebook with 2 8700m GT SLi,... is is going to upgrade his notebook with 2 8800m GT SLi...

i think i can get one 8700m GT very cheap there,...

my questin now is,... will a 8700m GT fit electrically ?

to craft a custom cooling solution would not be the problem,... but i don't want to toast my power supply ^^

yes,... i'm crazy ^^ nothing else o0,...

btw

"guten rutsch und frohes neues =)" (something like happy new year ^^)