LaptopVideo2Go Forums

16x.xx Desktop corruption fix for 1920x1200

mobilenvidia

Seeing ZZPULP fixed the BSOD go7950GTX problem, I felt jealous and fixed the other bug afflicting even more Dell users.

For quite sometime now the WUXGA (1920x1200) desktop distortion problem after about a minute of use has been an issue for the 16x.xx drivers for some (and me).

I've gone through the Dell INFs and found a fix for this issue.

Working as we speak, 163.75 Vista x64 no longer has this issue for me.

The fix has been added to 163.75 and 163.76 and will be included with future drivers.

Those wanting to fix other modded INFs them selves need to edit the INF with a text editor.

Look for this line:

HKR,, LVDSReduceFreq, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Now just set the value to 1.

reinstall driver and all will be well.

This for go7950 GTX users will be like Xmas with 2 fixes :)

[uPDATE]

The above fix only applies to 16x.xx drivers.

It does not work on 156.xx drivers :)

If you are happy with a 156.xx driver and only issue is the desktop distortion then edit the INF with a text editor.

look for this line:

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Change the 1 to a zero and reinstall, it will cure the Desktop distortion but there will be no Core/Memory clock speed reduction in 2D mode. (to save power)

Best I can do for now.

Could also do with some input whether this happens only on Dell's in this case the i9400/E1705 and only with WUXGA (1920x1200)

[uPDATE II]

The problem does go away with 156.66 after the screen powers down with Vista Power settings.

Once resumed the GPU will go into low power mode and no more corruption even though before screen powerdown it was corrupted

After about an hour, the corruption came back :P

[uPDATE III]

My friend debaucher has done some excellent work with this problem and has found a cure for those willing to flah their Dell based video BIOS's (there are unlocked BIOS's for a number of go7x00 GPU's)

SUCCESS in figuring out what causes the problem

I enabled the line

HKR,, PerfLevelSrc, %REG_DWORD%, 0x3333

as you suggested and got the corruption.

Then, this is what I did to fix it......

I noticed that the rivatuner monitor would show the core clock would become 0 (even thought it is acutally at 100) and the memory clock would become 110 upon 2D.

The bios settings are default (on my card... 2500M) of core 100 mem 110.

So, I played with these.

I first set the core to 110 as well, when 2D hit, rivatuner monitor showed that 110core and 110 memory was set but corruption still occurred.

So, I went for broke and tried 2D settings of 150core and 150memory.

2D hit at these settings and all is good (I am typing it with those settings now).

So, now I have to find the 'sweet' spot as far as speed goes.

........ edit... from the graphical distortion.. it seems more a memory problem than a core so I tried 110core and 120memory and got corruption

......... edit.... tried 110core and 130 memory and no corruption.

......... edit ... tried 100core and 130 memory and got NO corruption

SO.. it seems to be a memory issue (always wondered why the default memory speed was 110 when the core was only 100 ... ie why the extra 10mhz on the memory compared to the core)

I no modded my vid firmware to have 110core and 130 memory and re-flased it so I dont have to worry about setting up a fresh 2D profile with software overclocking.

Now.... why exactly this happens.... I don't know... especially when in XP this does not occur and powermizer works properly.

I guess it could do with either vista aero gpu requirements, or the memory on my card needing a higher frequency to run, or a problem with vista and powermizer control or ????????????

Will do more testing.. .I am just stoked that 2D is working (in a way).

D.

Where in the INF does this need to go?

Nevermind, didn't realize the line was already in the file and just needed to be changed!

Is this equivalent to ATI's Reduce DVI Frequency checkbox?

Also, any idea what would be causing nvcpl.exe to hang on Windows log-on for 2-3 minutes? Something in the INF I could try to change?

Edited by blah238

It most likely will be :)

Thanks A LOT for this pieter,

Unfortunatly, it is not a perfect fix.

It will help some of the time, ie.. I can use rivatuner or ATI tool to monitor the clock speeds and some times when the frequency is reduced to 2D mode everything will be fine, but just as I was typing this response, I have had it go to 2D mode 4x and each time it has given me a corrupted screen.

I also have the other "fix" zzpulp figured out with coolbits, and have both enabled in the inf (I have a 2500M but doesn't hurt to have them both).

I modded the inf for the 156.66 drivers (the nvlt.inf file).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, now the corruption has happened 10x as I type this now.

TIA

D.

EDIT, ok... this will not work at all on my system (E1705 w/2500M Vista32)

I get the screen corruption everytime it goes into 2D mode (3D mode high power and low power work fine..... this is with the 156.66 drivers)

I am testing it now with the 163.75 and I find that it will NEVER leave 3D high performance mode (ie.... highest clock and voltage all the time..... even on battery.... not good as this cuts my battery life in half)

Edited by debaucher

Well one fix or the other fixed my hanging issues, so great work! Now I can once again use new drivers on my 7800 GTX!

Thanks A LOT for this pieter,

Unfortunatly, it is not a perfect fix.

It will help some of the time, ie.. I can use rivatuner or ATI tool to monitor the clock speeds and some times when the frequency is reduced to 2D mode everything will be fine, but just as I was typing this response, I have had it go to 2D mode 4x and each time it has given me a corrupted screen.

I also have the other "fix" zzpulp figured out with coolbits, and have both enabled in the inf (I have a 2500M but doesn't hurt to have them both).

I modded the inf for the 156.66 drivers (the nvlt.inf file).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, now the corruption has happened 10x as I type this now.

TIA

D.

I get the screen corruption everytime it goes into 2D mode (3D mode high power and low power work fine..... this is with the 156.66 drivers)

I am testing it now with the 163.75 and I find that it will NEVER leave 3D high performance mode (ie.... highest clock and voltage all the time..... even on battery.... not good as this cuts my battery life in half)

Yes it doesn't work at all in here :)

setting powermizer to zero fixes the corruption but of course doesn't lower the clocks.

Doing a heap of testing now on this, was hoping to get a night of after all the WLAN testing :)

Doesn't work on 163.75 - desktop still corrupted.

On my machine with 163.75 the Core/mem speeds happily do their stuff, go and and down again..

Takes about 30sec for the first powermizer mode (199/300Mhz) to kick in then about a minute for the 2nd. (100/100Mhz), in 3D mode the clocks jumps to max again (375/506Mhz) and then back down after leaving 3D mode.

Powermizer controls all this, but the actual settings don't seem to do anything to the clocks.

Thanks for the response pieter!

Yea, you should take a night off though :)

I decided to do a complete reinstall now to see if that fixes the problems.

I will test the 163.65 drivers as if you say they still reduce clock rate etc... then that is what I need.

I will get those drivers installed and report back once I finish installing all the updates etc... for vista32 (doing a complete reinstall instead of using one of my backup images to see if this helps..... darn Japanese language pack takes forever to install)

D.

If the clocks for a driver arn't slowing down (ie powermizer not working) what seems to help me enable it is this line:

I had this yesterday with a driver that wou'dn't slow the clocks down added the above and it worked.

Did ofcourse also then enable the distortion bug at lowest power setting.

It does seem odd that it only happens with WUXGA

Thanks for the response pieter,

I have 163.75 installed right now and it still wont clock down ... ie... it is in constant 500core600mem mode.

This is on a completely fresh install (basically, only required drivers and updates and the video driver on Vista32).

Also, on the 156.66 I still get the screen corruption.

I can make the corruption go away temporarily by hitting refresh on the clock speed (ntune or atitool or rivatuner etc..) which forces it back into 3D mode, but then it just goes into 2D mode again and same screen corruption.

I will try another driver install the above line enabled and see what happens.

D.

EDIT!!!

SUCCESS in figuring out what causes the problem

I enabled the line

as you suggested and got the corruption.

Then, this is what I did to fix it......

I noticed that the rivatuner monitor would show the core clock would become 0 (even thought it is acutally at 100) and the memory clock would become 110 upon 2D.

The bios settings are default (on my card... 2500M) of core 100 mem 110.

So, I played with these.

I first set the core to 110 as well, when 2D hit, rivatuner monitor showed that 110core and 110 memory was set but corruption still occurred.

So, I went for broke and tried 2D settings of 150core and 150memory.

2D hit at these settings and all is good (I am typing it with those settings now).

So, now I have to find the 'sweet' spot as far as speed goes.

........ edit... from the graphical distortion.. it seems more a memory problem than a core so I tried 110core and 120memory and got corruption

......... edit.... tried 110core and 130 memory and no corruption.

......... edit ... tried 100core and 130 memory and got NO corruption

SO.. it seems to be a memory issue (always wondered why the default memory speed was 110 when the core was only 100 ... ie why the extra 10mhz on the memory compared to the core)

I no modded my vid firmware to have 110core and 130 memory and re-flased it so I dont have to worry about setting up a fresh 2D profile with software overclocking.

Now.... why exactly this happens.... I don't know... especially when in XP this does not occur and powermizer works properly.

I guess it could do with either vista aero gpu requirements, or the memory on my card needing a higher frequency to run, or a problem with vista and powermizer control or ????????????

Will do more testing.. .I am just stoked that 2D is working (in a way).

D.

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

Great work D. :)

Wonder why you can't get 163.75 to work, as I can with that tweak.

Once installed 163.75 works fine with power modes and no corruption

My go7900GS memory might be slightly more tolerant

Seems so strange also that 100Mhz is causing corruption I assume at:

1920x1200@60hz = 138Mhz Corruption

1920x1080@60hz = 124Mhz Corruption

1768x992@60hz = 105Mhz No corruption

1680x1080@60hz = 109Mhz No corruption

Chances are the desktop is running too fast for 1080p and WUXGA modes to be in 100Mhz low power stat (100/100)

I'll have to install ATI-tool again etc as I havnt' since all the WLAN testing and numerous Vista reinstalls.

I am running Vista x64 SP1 beta, this does have a few issues fixed and driver updates.

Pity I can't get the GPU to not run 100/100 mode and stop at 300/200 this would then be a half way measure for those not keen on BIOS flashing and it's risks.

Speaking of which, BIOS flashing can be dangerous have everything ready before doing so, including last will and testiment.

Read everything there is on the subject as good start is in the Dell section over at NotebookForums.

I have a strange finding to report.

I have never experienced desktop corruption at 1920x1200.

I have occasionally experienced desktop corruption at 1600x1200 on my notebook's internal LCD, but only when no drivers were installed, and only when in safe mode, and only at 1600x1200 resolution. Fixed that by lowering the resolution when booted normally with no drivers installed. Strange fix I know... This corruption only occured after upgrading from a 6800 Ultra to a 7800 GTX, took me the longest time to figure out how to fix it, but that was almost 2 years ago, so a non-issue now.

I have NEVER experienced desktop corruption at 1920x1080 on my external 37" 1080p Westinghouse LVM-37w3se monitor, UNTIL installing a driver with this fix (163.76). It only occured after the system had been idle for a while and the screen had gone into power saving mode. When I moved the mouse to wake up the system, I experienced full-screen corruption that I can only describe as wavy pixellated lines running mainly horizontally across the screen (the same type of corruption I had experienced years before at 1600x1200 in safe mode). I was able to recover from it by using my "Reset adapter to defaults" hotkey provided by PowerStrip.

The reason I used this tweak was not because I was experiencing corruption, but because I had hoped it would be equivalent to ATI's "Reduce DVI frequency" checkbox, which supposedly fixes a small issue with my monitor in which the screen is shifted to the left by 5 px or so. But it does not seem to have affected that particular issue, AND introduced desktop corruption which was not present before.

Thus I'll revert it back to 0 and reinstall.

Oh well!

I'll continue to use PowerStrip to adjust the horizontal front and back porches to recenter the screen until I find a better fix.

Edited by blah238

I'm experiencing vertical corruption, like looking through vertical lines of water on the screen, same for you debaucher ?

Yep, exactly.

Vertical lines like looking thru water.

I am running the 163.75 drivers right now and they are running perfect with your modded inf and the following line enabled (like you suggested) and running my 2D speeds at 110core 130mem

It is awesome being able to have powermizer work correctly and have the latest drivers installed.

I hope this also works for others.

Also, with the bios flash, it is a must to flash an unlocked bios to your vid card to allow overclocking (at least will the latest dell laptops). I have an unlocked bios flashed on my 2500M but decided to change my 2D clock in the bios as well just to make things easier (I can always change them with ati tool etc.. if I need to test more or other speeds)

D.

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

Hey thanks so much for this fix. The vertical line problem has been bugging me for ages on my m1710 with the 7900gtx and this seems to completely stop it happening. Loving your work!

Hi :-)

I have found a simliar fix to a similiar problem (or even the same problem) posted in this post: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15219

FrozenLord

Yes same result :)

For me this works:

GPU Core can be anything, I've set mine to 80Mhz (lowest in Rivatuner) default is 100Mhz

Mem speed HAS to be 121Mhz or greater in Rivatuner (120Mhz showing in nvmonitor) default is 100Mhz

Distortion fixed :)

Now of course for Rivatuner or nTune to be able to change the CORE/MEM clocks you must have flashed the Video BIOS with an unlocked version (Applies to Dell go79x0 models)

This a whole different kettle of fish that is covered in depth here

Yep, you are correct pieter,

I set my 2500M to 80core and 121memory and the distortion is gone as well. (previously I had the memory to 130 just to be safe as 120 gave distortion)

It is definitely a memory issue but why exactly I still cannot figure out (I am pretty sure it has to do with the driver settings but if it is on nvidia's end or vista's end I don't know)

D.

It must be as it's sorted with the 163.xx drivers and the other fix.

You would think that the 101 and 156 series drvers would have the fix applied as these are mainly used for Notebook OEM drivers.

Quite strange nVidia's logic.

Hello there,

This is my first time using laptopvideo2go drivers. I have a Dell XPS M1710 with Vista 32bit and a Go 7950GTX card. The install seems to work fine (I removed the old drivers first before installing). I got the drivers from this website today and I've checked the following line:

HKR,, LVDSReduceFreq, %REG_DWORD%, 1

So I think that it should be the updated inf but I am seeing the vertical lines appearing every so often. What should I do? I really want to use these drivers but it seems like my desktop will be unusable. I really appricate the effort you guys are putting in though, and really want to thank you for making these drivers for us! Cheers,

Paul

Hello there,

This is my first time using laptopvideo2go drivers. I have a Dell XPS M1710 with Vista 32bit and a Go 7950GTX card. The install seems to work fine (I removed the old drivers first before installing). I got the drivers from this website today and I've checked the following line:

HKR,, LVDSReduceFreq, %REG_DWORD%, 1

So I think that it should be the updated inf but I am seeing the vertical lines appearing every so often. What should I do? I really want to use these drivers but it seems like my desktop will be unusable. I really appricate the effort you guys are putting in though, and really want to thank you for making these drivers for us! Cheers,

Paul

I assume the above is for 156.xx drivers ? (we nened to know as much as posible)

The fix(s) works with 163.xx drivers only.

The only way to fix NON 163.xx drivers is by the BIOS unlock fix.

hey, i hope someone can get back to me on this...

whenever i install any drivers, i follow the step by step instructions for vista manual installation, ive tried the modded inf file, but nothing was working (i just found out its not just this driver, its a bunch of ones that ive downloaded from here)

the funny thing is, before i did a factory restore on my computer (dell xps - Inspiron M1710 on vista 32 bit), i used to be able to run this driver (163.44) no problem... but now my screen goes really glitched, it looks like thick, random vertical poles running down my screen, and it mirrors a separate part of the screen on the poles, so its not like black lines or anything, just a reflections of other parts of the screen... anyways, its weird, and i've never seen it before. but now my screen goes super-screwed after about 40 seconds on any decently high resolutions, especially anything 1900x(xxxx)

the thing i don't understand, was it was only until after the factory restore, that everything got screwed up.

any help would be much appreciated,

p.s.

im really a noob when it comes down to this sort of stuff, so any details would be great!

Edited by meetdave