LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 8600M GT Overclocking

janvitos

This is a screenshot og ATI Tools, as it looks right after installation..

what pussels me is that it seems the 470/635 core/mem speed is standard, but how come the sliders show 375/502, when the "current clocks" speed show 470/635??

if i run the "Find Max Mem" or "Find Max Core" the sliders keep rising until it hits the "current clock" setting, so it havent done enything realy... If i try manualy it goes very well (again) until i hit the "current clocks" settings, then it whont go higher.. ive never had 1 artifact report..

post-16132-1194396165_thumb.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fahd03

• Laes

• maxrh

• Jack Oneill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everybody,

i wanted to ask in which resolution did you run the tests? standard of 3d mark?

because when i start the 3dmark06 on my asus g1s, the resolution is set to 1280*720 and with this resolution i get 4127points without overclocking.

mfg Agressor

Is it pre overclocked?

if its not overclocked I think your lying that score is absurd for a non overclocked card.

Although Standard Resolution is 1280x1024 ~ so maybe.

Edited by Garandhero

Is it pre overclocked?

if its not overclocked I think your lying that score is absurd for a non overclocked card.

Although Standard Resolution is 1280x1024 ~ so maybe.

im not lying...

gpu-z says that i have a core clock of 475MHz, Memory @ 700MHz and Shader @ 950MHz

i did not overclock them and with this settings i started 3dmark06 with the newest drivers and a resolution of 1280*720 pixels.

after the test i get 4127points as result....

mfg Agressor

no one have eny answers for me then? :)

im not lying...

gpu-z says that i have a core clock of 475MHz, Memory @ 700MHz and Shader @ 950MHz

i did not overclock them and with this settings i started 3dmark06 with the newest drivers and a resolution of 1280*720 pixels.

after the test i get 4127points as result....

mfg Agressor

seems very high, i got almost the same config as you and cant get more than 2800 out of he box... I dont recon the 128 of extra memory on your card can make such a hughe diffrense.. but hey.. if it works, why fix it?

btw, i ran my tests wih the free version of 3DMark06, so all settings are standard, think 1280'720 is the standard..

seems very high, i got almost the same config as you and cant get more than 2800 out of he box... I dont recon the 128 of extra memory on your card can make such a hughe diffrense.. but hey.. if it works, why fix it?

hi,

now i tried 3dmark06 again, an one resolution higher (1280*854) and i got 4028points as you can see on the following screenshot.

i hope this is ok for demonstrating that im not lying

3dmark06_4028.jpg

mfg Agressor

Edited by Agressor

i have the 8600m gt 512mb card and i just want to know which program is the best to use for oc and what is the highest i can oc my card with out bsod, driver crashes or artifacts?

I got exactly same values on my 8600m gt (asus g1s) And I get without overclocking 169.04 3200 points. If I oc even 50, I get under 1000 cause my temperature rises over 100. In games like crysis my asus g1s temperature rises to 98c which drops my fps like 20. Even removed tapes from the plate that covers gpu and cpu.

I got exactly same values on my 8600m gt (asus g1s) And I get without overclocking 169.04 3200 points. If I oc even 50, I get under 1000 cause my temperature rises over 100. In games like crysis my asus g1s temperature rises to 98c which drops my fps like 20. Even removed tapes from the plate that covers gpu and cpu.

You have some major cooling issues. I suggest you investigate whats goin on, you should not be running that hot. Mine gets up to about 58C after hours of gaming, no higher

Just got my Vostro a few weeks ago, giving over clocking a shot and I have seen some good improvements on 3d mark.

btw I am using nTune as of right now to o/c on the 169.09 drivers . People have been saying you cant over clock on the 160 drivers?

Well it worked for me and I went from a stock score of: 3523 at 475/400 to a 4252 at a 600/500. Temp stayed at 44C during the cold test. 41 degress normal.

Havent done any gaming on Crysis yet overclocked.

You have some major cooling issues. I suggest you investigate whats goin on, you should not be running that hot. Mine gets up to about 58C after hours of gaming, no higher

I got the same problem...

I also got the Asus G1S and my temperature also raises to 98°C in Crysis :)

And i have read that the 169.xx drivers indicate the WRONG temperature (10°C wrong) So maybe it is possible that my GPU is 109°C !!!!!!!!!!!!

All G1S laptops run that hot, in december i'm going to buy a zalman notebook cooler, that will reduce my temp. with a few °C

I'm having the same problem as that french guy, my default clocks are 475/400 but if I go up to 500/425 and run a 3DMark05 I get a display adapter crash and have to restart. I know some cards just overclock better than others, but by 125MHz...I don't think so. Is there any kind of vBIOS flash for the 8600M GT? 169.09 drivers by the way.

i oc my inspiration 1520 to 600/450 and it works nice and smooth with these.gpu temp. never passes 60C after hours of gaming etc.but if i oc the memory over 450 sometimes the driver resets and windows vista loads the default driver so i have to restart.anyone know why this happens or is there a solutuon for me to oc the memory to 500?

Hurmm.. How bout 8600m gt overclocked till 651/512 with 169.04?

I got 4450 wif 3dmark06...and 1 more thing.. temp only around 55 to 60..use a cooler pad of coz..

my stock levels on my 8600M GT 128MB on my macbook Pro 15.4" are 475/675

using 158.45 drivers and ATI Tool/nTune its running stable @ 600Mhz Core / 810Mhz Memory ranging from 63'C idle - 83'C while gaming.

16x+ drivers i cant seem to get to overclock... just curious why all these other 8600M GT stock clocks seem so low compared to Apple's stock clocks? is this due to the architecture design on macbook's compared to pc laptops? wouldnt have thought so... hmm

Guest Another Guest
my stock levels on my 8600M GT 128MB on my macbook Pro 15.4" are 475/675

using 158.45 drivers and ATI Tool/nTune its running stable @ 600Mhz Core / 810Mhz Memory ranging from 63'C idle - 83'C while gaming.

16x+ drivers i cant seem to get to overclock... just curious why all these other 8600M GT stock clocks seem so low compared to Apple's stock clocks? is this due to the architecture design on macbook's compared to pc laptops? wouldnt have thought so... hmm

There are two versions of the 8600M GT... GDDR2(400 Mhz) and GDDR3 (700 Mhz), with differing amounts of memory. GDDR3 version costs more and because most laptop makers want to keep the cost down they offer the GDDR2 version. You get what you pay for... Thats why a lot of peoples stock clock is 475/400 instead of 475/700. Thats also why they payed a lot less :)

hmmm ... well i am having an Inspiron 1520 with the same cards as you all , i overclocked it to 650/540 and 1300 shader memory , crysis works perfectly fine with me , and the temperature is also stable 41-49 celcius

post-17034-1195845573_thumb.jpg

Guest Another Guest

So thats stable in the sense that your computer doesn't crash / overheat; but have you tried running something like the ATItool artifact checker mcbob? Just curious if that discovers any artifacts at those sort of clocks. I can only get mine up to about 650/450 before it chucks a spaz but my temps are all about 50 degrees.

Personally I feel I could push my card a lot higher without crashing (I did push it to 650/500 when I wasn't relying on Atitool) However because Atitool is finding artifacts I've stopped at about that speed. Is there any point pushing it further (and possibly damaging the card?). Push until the temps / computer becomes unstable? Do the artifacts that ATItool finds have any meaning in terms of "damage" or is that soley related to temperature of the card. I always thought you get artifacts because the card is running hot. In which case this means that my cooling temp (58 degrees under full load) must be being misreported? Seeing artifacts at such a low temp doesn't really make sense unless its not really at that temp.

I'm so surprised that you can OC the 8600m that much and keep such low temps.. Dell replaced my 9400 with a 1720, and I was a bit disappointed about it seeing the GPU wasn't as powerful as the 7900gs, but it doesn't seem so bad now seeing how much you can OC it. My 7900gs was at 60-70c on my desktop..

I thought the notebooks with 8600M's don't have GPU fans? How can you OC so much with such a low temp?

Do you guys use any cooler pads and if you do, could you recommend me one for the 1720? Also, is temperature the only factor in overclocking, or can you cause damage even at normal temps? Thanks.

Edited by Laes

hmmm ... well i overclocked it to 650/540 as i mentioned earlier all graphics applications run fine , but if i go further so it starts showing artifacts , actually it depends on the model and make of your machine , because each and every model and make has its own wiring and circuits . so with 650/540 i always remain under 50 celcius ,though my default clock is 475/400 ,comparing with others here, i am also surprised that it overclocked till this extent , or perhaps because i am in United Kingdom and here the winter is already started :) , so i dont think i need an extra cooler or something ,, hehehehehehe

Yep! For me... i use a cooler pad coz where i live always hot...Dont have winter or others.. Haha!

For my laptop..i bought zalman cooler pad...quite expensive...but i'm satisfied enough...

try to find cooler pad that have good airflow...

I don know if my 8600m got a fan or not..but i think there is a fan coz i can control the fan speed percentage in ntune and also in rivatuner... So..is there a fan? :)

Edited by fahd03

Yep! For me... i use a cooler pad coz where i live always hot...Dont have winter or others.. Haha!

For my laptop..i bought zalman cooler pad...quite expensive...but i'm satisfied enough...

try to find cooler pad that have good airflow...

I don know if my 8600m got a fan or not..but i think there is a fan coz i can control the fan speed percentage in ntune and also in rivatuner... So..is there a fan? :)

Ah ok, yeah I was looking at that cooler on eBay before, do you know if it supports 17 inch notebooks?

The 8600m GT doesn't have a fan from what I can see, no vent on the right hand side, or underneath on the right hand side so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a dedicated GPU fan.

How to know it is support or not? If it decided on its size...u can put ur laptop on..for sure la... hahaha..

But i think mine is for 15.4 inch..coz it suits my laptop a bit small than my laptop...

For the gpu fan...if it really don have a fan..its ok as long as the temp quite low when i'm playin demanding games... :)