LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 8600M GT Overclocking

janvitos

How to know it is support or not? If it decided on its size...u can put ur laptop on..for sure la... hahaha..

But i think mine is for 15.4 inch..coz it suits my laptop a bit small than my laptop...

For the gpu fan...if it really don have a fan..its ok as long as the temp quite low when i'm playin demanding games... :)

Ah ok, I will probably have to look for a different cooler then. And yeah the GPU won't overheat, it just doesn't generate enough heat to need it's own fan I guess.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fahd03

• Laes

• maxrh

• Jack Oneill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also own a 1720. I'm pretty sure the GPU shares a heatpipe / fan with the cpu. Aka all heat is dissipated through the one shared fan under the left side of the laptop. The fan pulls air into the laptop and blows it out the vents on the left side.

My GPU gets up to about 58 degrees with an ambient temperature of about 28. Doesn't seem to change much when I overclock it though, maybe a few degrees higher. However my CPU (T7700) gets up to 85 under full load which is a tad hot for my liking. Might also be contributing to my higher GPU temps if it is a shared heat pipe. 3dmark06 with GPU @ 650/500 and CPU @ stock gave me 4085 which ain't too shabby I suppose.

Just want to point out another thing to those with 1280x800 res laptops. Your 3dmark06 scores are done at a lower res and thus not directly comparable to the default (1280x1024)... Makes it pretty hard to gauge relative performance. Just letting you know :)

I also own a 1720. I'm pretty sure the GPU shares a heatpipe / fan with the cpu. Aka all heat is dissipated through the one shared fan under the left side of the laptop. The fan pulls air into the laptop and blows it out the vents on the left side.

My GPU gets up to about 58 degrees with an ambient temperature of about 28. Doesn't seem to change much when I overclock it though, maybe a few degrees higher. However my CPU (T7700) gets up to 85 under full load which is a tad hot for my liking. Might also be contributing to my higher GPU temps if it is a shared heat pipe. 3dmark06 with GPU @ 650/500 and CPU @ stock gave me 4085 which ain't too shabby I suppose.

Just want to point out another thing to those with 1280x800 res laptops. Your 3dmark06 scores are done at a lower res and thus not directly comparable to the default (1280x1024)... Makes it pretty hard to gauge relative performance. Just letting you know :)

Ah ok, so if you were to overclock the GPU I guess it would also impact on your CPU's temp as well then.

Heat is the only factor in overclocking right? So if I were to overclock a TON, but had only a few degrees higher than stock temps, this would be fine yeah?

Ah ok, so if you were to overclock the GPU I guess it would also impact on your CPU's temp as well then.

Heat is the only factor in overclocking right? So if I were to overclock a TON, but had only a few degrees higher than stock temps, this would be fine yeah?

Heat is not only the factor we don't overclock too high...the graphic chipset also got limit in handling high frequencies... If too much..chipset cannot handle n this is a reason y people get the crashed and recovery of drivers..

Dats y for some ppl they will say.."dont overclock if u dunno wat u r doin"... Juz be low profile in oc... Heh3!

Heat is not only the factor we don't overclock too high...the graphic chipset also got limit in handling high frequencies... If too much..chipset cannot handle n this is a reason y people get the crashed and recovery of drivers..

Dats y for some ppl they will say.."dont overclock if u dunno wat u r doin"... Juz be low profile in oc... Heh3!

Ah ok, I'm starting to get it although I am a noob when it comes to overclocking. So just overclock by small MHz increments at a time, and if you start seeing artifacts then tone it down? If you do start to see artifacts, does that mean you have caused damage to the card?

Also, I'm curious to know where some of you are from to find out what kind of ambient temperatures you get.

• 2 weeks later...
im not lying...

gpu-z says that i have a core clock of 475MHz, Memory @ 700MHz and Shader @ 950MHz

i did not overclock them and with this settings i started 3dmark06 with the newest drivers and a resolution of 1280*720 pixels.

after the test i get 4127points as result....

mfg Agressor

ya well thats not stock... stock is 475/400

strange OC tho, memory is way high. seems to work for ya tho so good job.

As has been mentioned several times already; 700 Mhz is for the DDR3 version of the 8600! The DDR2 version is only 400 Mhz stock. Better memory = higher clocks = better speed. Unfortunately some of us are left with the "crappy" 8600's and we have to make do.

Hi guyz, new here :)

Got a

Dell Vostro 1500

C2D T7250 (2.0Ghz)

nVidia 8600M GT 256MB DDR2

120GB Harddrive 5400rpm

15.4" 1680x1050 LCD Display

Intel Wireless 802.11a/b/g

Windows XP Pro SP2

Still overclocking right now, 650Mhz for the GPU seems enough so far with a max 58-59°C temperature, now testing up ram.

I'm not using a cooling pad, but the laptop has been lifted from the table a little bit to give better airflow.

I'll post 3dmark06 scores as soon as i reach the limit :)

[edit] Forgot to mention, driver version is 169.17 [/edit]

Edited by LordAzuzu

Guest PRovocator

I got a Vostro 1500 but i have trouble to overclock the machine.

Installing the 15x.xx driver ant atitools it occured, that i could not change the values in atitool at all. the values just changed back to the normal values.

Trying it with ntune, i could change the values but running 3dmark06, the nvidia driver crashes. The 158.45 as well as the 169.04. I don´t know what I am doing wrong, but the driver crashes pretty often. Maybe someone else also had this problem and has an idea to solve it. It is weird, but the driver itself seems to be pretty unstable.

Does anyone have an idea, what i can do???

I got a Vostro 1500 but i have trouble to overclock the machine.

Installing the 15x.xx driver ant atitools it occured, that i could not change the values in atitool at all. the values just changed back to the normal values.

Trying it with ntune, i could change the values but running 3dmark06, the nvidia driver crashes. The 158.45 as well as the 169.04. I don´t know what I am doing wrong, but the driver crashes pretty often. Maybe someone else also had this problem and has an idea to solve it. It is weird, but the driver itself seems to be pretty unstable.

Does anyone have an idea, what i can do???

First of all I suggest to download the latest drivers and install them with the "Have Disk" method. You will find them in their dedicated forum section.

Then try again, using nTune, it worked perfectly for me.

Edited by LordAzuzu

I'm running 600/500 bios OC'd and am just installed the latest 169.21 drivers and my scores dropped 400 points from 4401 to 4035. I can't tell if I have vsync enabled somehow or what but I'm going to try going back to 169.04 and try again.

Guest PRovocator

Ok, loaded the newest driver from laptopvideo via have disc method.

Tried oc by 600/460 to stay somewhat under best possible perfomance ( in the threat).

Still the same problem: 3dmark06 starts up, the first 3d test beginns, then it shuts down.

3dmark reports: (Something...device lost...) Windows Vista Ultimate 32x reports: driver had failure and was restored (I translated this now fairly and quickly from German, but you know what I mean, i guess, it si not the exact wording of the failure notice).

It seems like there is something very unstable. I just cannot find out, what it is. even without oc´ing the card, this error occurs from time to time..

Hardware problem? Any ideas? Kill Dell?

:) This sucks. I also want my 4000 points... :)

3dmark reports: (Something...device lost...) Windows Vista Ultimate 32x reports: driver had failure and was restored

Its seem like ur driver crash when it come to full performance load.. Its say the driver had crashed n succesfully 'recovered'...

How bout try another driver version instead of the latest one?

Wat ur pc specs anyway?

Guest PRovocator
Its seem like ur driver crash when it come to full performance load.. Its say the driver had crashed n succesfully 'recovered'...

How bout try another driver version instead of the latest one?

Wat ur pc specs anyway?

I got a Dell vostro 1500 platinum with intel C2D 7500, 2 gb ram, 250 gb Harddrive (5400) and that 8600m GT that makes me wonder. I am runnning Vista Ultimate. Thats it.

I will try different drivers now. I will start with the original driver from dell and see what will happen.

Before overclocking, I would to know the T° of my video card. How could I know it please?

U can use riva tuner hardware monitoring system.. run the program.. n then run 3dmarks to make ur pc load at full performance.. Then check the previous temp had been recorded.

Guest PRovocator
I got a Dell vostro 1500 platinum with intel C2D 7500, 2 gb ram, 250 gb Harddrive (5400) and that 8600m GT that makes me wonder. I am runnning Vista Ultimate. Thats it.

I will try different drivers now. I will start with the original driver from dell and see what will happen.

Ok. Startet everything new. I got very bad stats... Original stock driver brings only 2905 points (3dmark 06 standard settings)

with the 158.54 driver and no oc it only makes 2965 points. this seems to be extremely weak, reading the first entry of this threat having more than 3300 points stock.

now it is time to try an oc again, but i guess i know the outcome... :)

As has been mentioned several times already; 700 Mhz is for the DDR3 version of the 8600! The DDR2 version is only 400 Mhz stock. Better memory = higher clocks = better speed. Unfortunately some of us are left with the "crappy" 8600's and we have to make do.

macbook pro 15. "

gpu-z says

memory type: ddr3

gpu clock: 375MHz

memory clock: 502 Mhz

WTF!?

drivers are 101.34 XP version (came with the bootcamp)

lol? so i should raise that s*** to 700 all the way?

macbook pro 15. "

gpu-z says

memory type: ddr3

gpu clock: 375MHz

memory clock: 502 Mhz

WTF!?

drivers are 101.34 XP version (came with the bootcamp)

lol? so i should raise that s*** to 700 all the way?

I've been reading these posts for awhile and figured I might as well chip in. It amazes me the capacity that the mobile 8600gt can overclock to. People are easily getting 20% and higher... whats with this particular card that makes it take such an overclock with minimal issues??? I currently have mine set to 510/425 but by the looks of what some of you guys are getting I can easily go higher. My laptop is a Dell 1720 with the T7250 cpu, 2gb ram and the 8600gt 256mb. Last 3dmark06 score was 3900. When I first bought the laptop and everything was stock, including the drivers, I barely got over 3000. A big thanks to this site for all this invaluable info. :)

Hm, I tried just having it find my max core. It's run for about an hour now and it doesn't look like it's even trying to increase anything above the defaults. There's no artifacting going on. Could it be the driver?

EDIT:Hm, looks like it is. I tried manually increasing settings and they reverted as soon as I hit scan for artifacts.

Edited by PhoenixReborn

hmmm ... well i am having an Inspiron 1520 with the same cards as you all , i overclocked it to 650/540 and 1300 shader memory , crysis works perfectly fine with me , and the temperature is also stable 41-49 celcius

No way your temperatur stays at 41-49 during gaming , thats even lower than my idle temperatur. You are either a liar or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Probably his program is just misreporting it. Needs to be "re-zeroed", so to speak.

Guest v_lestat
No way your temperatur stays at 41-49 during gaming , thats even lower than my idle temperatur. You are either a liar or you have no idea what you are talking about.

thats a very rude and assinine thing to say

just because you dont know how to keep your laptop cool dont even presume to think that others dont.

my Dell 1520 w/ 2.2ghz c2d and 8600 GT idles at 30~33c

i have the cpu locked at 2.2ghz @ 1.075v using RMClock.

using the drivers from here i have the GT overclocked to well.. you see.. and this is not all, it will do higher.

20080101214907ni1.png

what i dont understand is why in lowpoer 2d mode the video ram is 800mhz....

but in 3dmode its 400mhz

incase you cant read thats 621/1242/500

and yes thats 48c under full load.

dont be a punk and kick others just because your an idiot and block the cooling vents on your laptop.

oh and i also use a little program called I8kFAN Gui to control the fan on my laptop. either full time on full speed or temperature controlled fan speed.

this allows the laptop and video card and chipset to remain WAY WAY cooler than the stock laptop bios controlled settings allow it to run.

maybe try it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ender707
I have a Dell XPS M1530, with 3gb memory, T7700 Intel Core 2 Duo and a 8600m gt (256mb) and I overclocked it to 632/1264/901 and got 5006 on 3DMark06.

That OC would melt my ASUS G1. Idles at 76C, 95C under gaming load with 520 core/ 760 mem. Temps seem normal (For ASUS G1's anyway). The Dells must have way better cooling than the ASUS. I have read that the card shuts down at 124C though, and other people say that their card underclocks at 100C. Both were ASUS owners too, so I am not too concerned with my 95C.