LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DELL XPS M1730 (Dual 8700M's in SLI) PREFORMING SLOW

Guest Steven

Hi All,

I received my M1730 a few days ago, it came with Ghost Recon AW2.

Since day one i've been trying to play GRAW2 with SLI enabled but for some reason it seems to run really slow....

I've tried to change it from Force Split-Frame rendering to Alt 1/2 Frame Rendering.. Alt 1/2 seems to be a bit faster but still very LOW FPS.

I've tried the driver version 163.67 from here but i still have the same problem..

Does anyone know of anything else i can try??

I've already contacted DELL Support, they are looking into the issue. I thought i'd do as much troubleshooting as i can.

PS: I've also tried in Half Life 2 with the same problems.

Thanks

Steve

Does 163.44 work with SLI? (I've heard it does)

Of course. However you definitely need to uninstall your newer driver before you install the older one.

• 3 weeks later...

Same laptop as you.

I've installed 165.01 and Half Life 2 runs beautifully with SLI enabled. Much better than my desktop (Athy 3700, 7800GTX). I've not adjusted any advanced settings. I've set the res to 1920x1200 and filtering to Aniso 8X. Job done.

Episode 2 isn't completely smooth at that res, but it is perfectly playable.

I have the same system...

And Im having the same problem...

I've tried 3Dmark06 and it can't even complete the damn thing! It really feels so slow :)

• 8 months later...
Guest israeljamesbond

I am sure it is a heat issue making the card active its protection mechanism against getting burned. Open the computer and apply thermal paste properly on all the video card chips.

same laptop here :) )

did you try 175.80 vista driver from lv2g ????

im playing CSS and can enable all settings to the max and everything is working fine. i ve got some problems with UT3 but reast of games are ok.

also on 3dmark06 default settings i nearly double points with this driver - so for now ive got 8247 3d marks with SLI enable !!!!

try it . good luck

• 1 month later...
I am sure it is a heat issue making the card active its protection mechanism against getting burned. Open the computer and apply thermal paste properly on all the video card chips.

I think I may have a problem along those lines. I've bought a refurbished older model M1730 with the specs you can see below and everything is fine, BUT:

In steps,

1) System works fine, fans are at minimum, GPU temp steadily rising with workload, GPU performance is fine

2) Temp in both GPUs reaches 70 dgrs, fans go to maximum performance

3) GPUs essentially shutdown, framerates drop to below 5 (3dmark05)

4) GPU temps go down to 45 dgrs, but GPU performance stays down

alt) Thought it was an overheating issue, so set fans to work at maximum regardless of workload. Fans operated as normal, keeping GPU temps at max 49 dgrs, but performance is still the same.

On the other hand, turning the fans off restores performance, at least until the GPUs cant handle the heat any more.

Has anyone got an idea where this issue comes from and how to resolve it?

Cheers,

Core2Duo T7500 @ 2.20GHz

4GB (2x 2GB 667MHz)

2x 256MB nVidia 8700M GT in SLi + Ageia PhysX PCI Card

2x 250GB HDD's in RAID 0

8x Super-Multi DVD±RW

Creative SB Audigy Advanced HD Audio

4-in-1 Card Reader

Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini Card

Bios: A09

• 2 months later...

take a look here. might help with your driver issues.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....st=0#entry95938

179.14 its certianly the best so far, but has some heat issues. try it and see if its ok with your system. also try the powermizer tool thats on our front page. this will enable the 179.14 driver to go into 2d and 3D low mode. or high all the time etc..

good luck

• 3 months later...
take a look here. might help with your driver issues.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....st=0#entry95938

179.14 its certianly the best so far, but has some heat issues. try it and see if its ok with your system. also try the powermizer tool thats on our front page. this will enable the 179.14 driver to go into 2d and 3D low mode. or high all the time etc..

good luck

If you're running Vista 64 bit 185.26 makes a HUGE difference, it's the first one that really seems to work well.