LaptopVideo2Go Forums

recommended OS for gaming

Guest mentalcrisis00

Guest mentalcrisis00

Wondering if you folks think that games would run better under windows XP or vista? i've been running vista on my dell vostro for about a month and i am very disappointed with it's performance. Games crash alot or run badly, i've tried at least a dozen video drivers, and vista also takes more then a minute to fully boot up. My xp rig only takes a few seconds to go from welcome screen to desktop.

Curiose as to what others think about vista or if switching back to xp would improve gaming at all.

thanks

-Ray

I use Vista on my rig, and I like it, from what I've read you will gain some performance by switching back to XP but you will lose the nice user interface from Vista, your choice. I don't know how Vista SP1 will affect the gaming performance but I hope it will atleast give some more performance,I'll just sit back and see.

Of course, regressing to XP, you will get better performance due to how XP doesn't hog all of your computer's resources. However, you will lose DirectX 10, including the newer Shaders and OpenGL and eventually will lose compatibility as games become more familiar with DX10. So really, its a matter of preference. Compatibility or Preformance.

Guest Si  (UK)

XP is loads better than vista for games weather you got a laptop or a desktop...

I run xp on my dell m1710 after removing vista and games run great..

Same with my dektop PC . i dual boot xp and vista ... I have a C2D running at 3.4ghz 2gb ram and a 8800GTX ultra , running the same game with the same settings on vista as i do on xp the performance is sometimes cut in half , thats how poor vista is for gaming...

Honestly i love vista. It has its issues but on my m1710 i had issue with gaming until i did a fresh install (non dell install) and installed drivers past 101.19. Compairing desktop to laptop does not help cause they really cant be compaired due to components. I would say try both and see if the games you play work well in vista. If not go xp... really have to try it for your self but before you make judgement make sure you have updated everything and have the latest drivers. The same you should do for xp anyways.