LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WUXGA Distortion fix for Dell WUXGA screens

mobilenvidia

Ha, I did it, once again perseverance has paid off.

I've finally found a fix (not perfect) for the distortion experienced by Dell owner in 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 desktop modes.

The fix will from 1680x1050 and up use the 3D Low Power settings instead of 2D settings for memory timings (GPU is not affected)

The problem as I thought was too much bandwidth needed to have the resolution @ 1920x1200 and the memory at only 100Mhz bandwidth.

The other fix we found the other day was to flash the video BIOS with an unlocked BIOS and then set the Memory Clock to 121Mhz.

This fix will not require any riksy BIOS flashing, it does it automatically and should work happily for any laptop with bandwidth problems (memory too slow for the resolution)

So for the go7900GS what happens is when powermizer goes into it's lowest power state (2D mode) the GPU will run at 100Mhz (normal in 2D mode) and the Memory at 300Mhz (100 normal in 2D mode)

The extra power consumption will be minimal as the memory is not what uses the most power the GPU is.

The correction is auto adjusting so other GPU's will have different cut off points where the fix begins this all depends on the 2D memory speed and resolution.

ie a 110Mhz Memory clock may have a proper working 1680x1050 2D Memory clock (100Mhz doesn't), please advise me of your findings here.

The best I can do for this annoying problem.

INF v3.231 has this fix, currently for 163.75, 163.76 and 167.26 in all OS versions.

A very productive long weekend (Labour day in NZ)

Well...

It doesn't work. After "low 3D" at 300MHz memory clock goes to "2D" at 0,87 MHz by RivaTuner 2.05.

As you understand distortion still with us.

P.S. Tested on 167.26.

UPDATE: I must add that 0,87 MHz is a bug of RivaTuner - I'm sure that real clock is 100 Mhz. RT actually shows core clock at 0 MHz in "2D", however we understand that real clock isn't 0.

158.45 with RT shows the same clocks in "2D" 0/0,87 (i think real 100/100) but nothing terrible (distortion) happens.

What is so dramatically changed for Dell users in Nvidia drivers since 158-serie?

UPDATE2: I've noticed funny thing. After uninstalling 167.26 (with DriverCleaner in SafeMode and blah-blah-blah) I've installed 158.45 redownloaded from LV2Go and now memory clock is 300 MHz in "2D" (core clock as usual is 0 MHz) - but i clearly remember that before this reinstalling memory clock gone to 0,87 MHz in "2D"...

Blya!.. (russian untranslatable)

Edited by Valmont

There is one more issue with the INF. IF you run dual displays the second display shows up as a laptop display instead of the correct monitor display. The line:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak", NvCplForceDFPToEvaluateAsLVDS, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Needs to be changed to 0 to resolve this issue.

The post i found this in was : http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15560

I tested this on my setup and it resolved the issue.

It works for me with 163.75, not tried 167.26 yet

Use nTune nV monitor it gives the correct clock speeds of the GPU.

RT 2D clocks also seem to be 1Mhz out as well, 121Mhz RT=120Mhz nV (which also = Distortion fix)

There is one more issue with the INF. IF you run dual displays the second display shows up as a laptop display instead of the correct monitor display. The line:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak", NvCplForceDFPToEvaluateAsLVDS, %REG_DWORD%, 1

The post i found this in was : http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15560

I tested this on my setup and it resolved the issue.

Cool I can change that in future INFs :)

Keep any suggestions coming I cannot possibly test all settings, I'd need more than 1 lifetime :)

Done v3.232 has this fixed :) that easy

167.26 still no Powermizer which also means no distortion as the clocks don't lower

Both PowerMizer and OCing work on my notebook with these new drivers (inf .231), but I get a missing nvwssr.dll message when I install them.

Downloading and installing with inf .232.

167.26 still no Powermizer which also means no distortion as the clocks don't lower

What do you mean "no PowerMizer"?

It "pefectly" works on my laptop with 167.26 - all modes (3D, low 3D, 2D) have their own clocks, so 2D give me distortion.

RangerXML nvwssr.dll is basically a localization file (resource) for MultiLnaguage releases (even though it holds no langugaes). It exists in all drivers for XP (MultiLanguage and English only), and only in MultiLanguge releases for VISTA. Somebody correct me if my researches for NVLiTE are wrong :)

Delete the reference to this file from the INF.

Cool, cool alls working great! I deleted both refences from the inf, working on some network stuff right now so I'll reinstall after I'm done. These are the best drivers so far, haven't done any PureVideo support tests yet.

What do you mean "no PowerMizer"?

It "pefectly" works on my laptop with 167.26 - all modes (3D, low 3D, 2D) have their own clocks, so 2D give me distortion.

Odd this is only driver that Powermizer is stuck on full 3D Performance mode, nothing will shift it.

What are your 2D clock speeds ?

I may need to tweak the Bandwidth setting a little to fix it for other GPU's

100/100 by NTune on 167.26.

In that case the INF with the Bandwidth fix should work, works for me with driver that have the Distortion prob.

The fix will stop Powermizer setting the MClock too low if the bandwith needs more (ie 1920x1280 needs 120Mhz Bandwidth so 100Mhz clock is too slow)

If it's not working for you it may not have installed (you are reinstalling the driver with the new INF ?

Do you think that I'm so stupid?..

Do you think that I'm so stupid?..

I don't know are you ?, just asking !, 75% of people would just DL the INF and then think that is it.

IF your not stupid then look in the INF for this :

[Mobile_Tweaks]

HKR,, BandwidthFactor, %REG_DWORD%, 5

Instead of 5 make it a higher value, then reinstall, this will lower the point of where Powermizer should goto 3D low power mode instead of 2D mode (for memory only)

Guest gaervern

In dual displays, the second display still shows up as a laptop, at least after making some changes in scaling or after opening desktop colour page. I have installed 156.72 with inf v 3.232. Driver 156.66 with original inf for Dell did not have that problem.

Guest,

Are you using the latest INF?

Check that the following line on the inf is changed:

if it is 0 i am stumped as that worked from my laptop and a few others.

Guest,

Are you using the latest INF?

Check that the following line on the inf is changed:

if it is 0 i am stumped as that worked from my laptop and a few others.

Latest INFs have this fix already in them :)