LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Newbie on the Drivers for Laptops Maintenance

Guest Pedroshin

Guest Pedroshin

Hey there! I just bought my first laptop and I want to update its drivers.

The Graphics card is a Nvidia 8600M GT. It already came with ForceWare 101.03. Whenever I install a new driver in my desktop PC I uninstall older one, reboot into safemode, run Driver Cleaner Pro and clean everything related to Nvidia, clean Registry errors with CCleaner, reboot and install new driver.

When I read in FAQs here on how to install new drivers it just says to go to My Computer and click Update driver in the Graphic card properties. Is this what I must do? I thought it would be safer to do the same I do in the desktop PC.

Also I've found there are those drivers that already come with support for laptop PCs and those that don't and need modified INF. In your experience do you think it's better go for the former or for the latter?

Thanks in advance!

Whenever I install a new driver in my desktop PC I uninstall older one, reboot into safemode, run Driver Cleaner Pro and clean everything related to Nvidia, clean Registry errors with CCleaner, reboot and install new driver.
That's the way it's meant to be done.

If the original INF supports your card, use it. If you have problems try Pieter's INF (modded INF).