LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus C90 8600gt 256mb new drivers lose performance?

ViciousXUSMC

I was one of the first Asus C90S owners so mine has come with the 512mb 8600gt with DDR2 memory. I have updated the drivers with no problems ever since owning it, and infact have gained performance by using the newest/best drives vs the stock ones.

However since the notebooks release now it comes with a better 256mb 8600gt with GDDR3 memory. Its close to 30% more powerfull and I may just be upgrading to this card. However from both users of the new card, and from an Asus retialer I have heard that updating the drivers to any version other than what comes stock on the drivers disk results in nearly a 50% drop in performance. (~4000 3dmark06 to ~2000)

I dont understand this phenomena, its the first time ever I have heard of new drivers breaking a card. I guess there was something very specific done to the stock drivers to make it run correctly. I feel uncomfortable upgrading to this new card if faced with the possibility of being stuck with old drivers. New drivers are released nearly weekly sometime with very specific fixes to games like bioshock, or performance boost for the orange box. If I cant update them, new games may not run correctly or not at all. If I do update them, the performance suddenly will be lower than my original DDR2 card!

So for those experts out there that know the inner workings of things much more than myself. Can you look into this for me and the while C90 community and find an answer, and if possible a fix that we can apply to new drivers to get them working correctly.

Guest ViciousXUSMC
I was one of the first Asus C90S owners so mine has come with the 512mb 8600gt with DDR2 memory. I have updated the drivers with no problems ever since owning it, and infact have gained performance by using the newest/best drives vs the stock ones.

However since the notebooks release now it comes with a better 256mb 8600gt with GDDR3 memory. Its close to 30% more powerfull and I may just be upgrading to this card. However from both users of the new card, and from an Asus retialer I have heard that updating the drivers to any version other than what comes stock on the drivers disk results in nearly a 50% drop in performance. (~4000 3dmark06 to ~2000)

I dont understand this phenomena, its the first time ever I have heard of new drivers breaking a card. I guess there was something very specific done to the stock drivers to make it run correctly. I feel uncomfortable upgrading to this new card if faced with the possibility of being stuck with old drivers. New drivers are released nearly weekly sometime with very specific fixes to games like bioshock, or performance boost for the orange box. If I cant update them, new games may not run correctly or not at all. If I do update them, the performance suddenly will be lower than my original DDR2 card!

So for those experts out there that know the inner workings of things much more than myself. Can you look into this for me and the while C90 community and find an answer, and if possible a fix that we can apply to new drivers to get them working correctly.

Nothing yet eh??? IceTea have you seen this thread or aware of the problem???0F