LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Go 7800 and Dell E1705/9400 horrible game issues

wally1nky

I'll preface this by saying that I have been a network administrator for 7 years, so I'm not stupid. I've tried just about everything I know to fix this issue, including filing many complaints with Dell.

Dell has not updated their Nvidia drivers for this card (the plain Go 7800, not GS, GTX, etc) for almost 2 years.

On top of that, this is one of the few newer cards that Nvidia does not support with their drivers (apparently Dell screwed with the base card enough that it's a stretch for Nvidia to make their drivers work with it easily).

When I try to use any of the drivers here (specifically the 150.xx and 160.xx series drivers) I get shearing and tearing when trying to play any games (HL2, Command and Conquer 3, Unreal 3 Demo, Bioshock) and the games aren't playable at all.

Can anyone help me with these issues? I'd love to hear from someone who also has a Go 7800 (preferably on a E1705/9400, but not required) and who doesn't have any of the issues that I'm having.

Anyone else who might know what a problem is, I'd appreciate it greatly. My desktop just died so this is my only gaming box, and it's basically a brick right now.

Lastly, before anyone asked, yes, I uninstalled before installing the new drivers, yes I restarted before and after the new install, and Yes, I used the Modified INF.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wally

EDIT: I went ahead and blew away windows yesterday and started from scratch, with nothing else except updated drivers, windows updates, and HL2 and Portal. Same Issues with 169.02 drivers.

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Edited by wally1nky

Try downloading these drivers 169.01 and as well as the modified INF file so it can install on your computer.

Already tried that. Same issues as before.

I'm hoping someone that has a Go 7800 (not GS, GTX, etc.) could tell me what a stable working driver for them is, so I can see if A) I need to nuke my install or :) call dell and tell them that my graphics card has crapped out.

Thanks though...

I appreciate any other suggestions people can give.

I'll preface this by saying that I have been a network administrator for 7 years, so I'm not stupid. I've tried just about everything I know to fix this issue, including filing many complaints with Dell.

Dell has not updated their Nvidia drivers for this card (the plain Go 7800, not GS, GTX, etc) for almost 2 years.

On top of that, this is one of the few newer cards that Nvidia does not support with their drivers (apparently Dell screwed with the base card enough that it's a stretch for Nvidia to make their drivers work with it easily).

When I try to use any of the drivers here (specifically the 150.xx and 160.xx series drivers) I get shearing and tearing when trying to play any games (HL2, Command and Conquer 3, Unreal 3 Demo, Bioshock) and the games aren't playable at all.

Can anyone help me with these issues? I'd love to hear from someone who also has a Go 7800 (preferably on a E1705/9400, but not required) and who doesn't have any of the issues that I'm having.

Anyone else who might know what a problem is, I'd appreciate it greatly. My desktop just died so this is my only gaming box, and it's basically a brick right now.

Lastly, before anyone asked, yes, I uninstalled before installing the new drivers, yes I restarted before and after the new install, and Yes, I used the Modified INF.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wally

EDIT: I went ahead and blew away windows yesterday and started from scratch, with nothing else except updated drivers, windows updates, and HL2 and Portal. Same Issues with 169.02 drivers.

Can you expand on why shearing and tearing renders the games unplayable? I know it's probably more serious than your description makes out, but from first read, it sounds like you just haven't got VSYNC turned on!

If all else fails, uninstall the driver you have and get the official mobile drivers from NV. If those don't work, you have some other problem occurring.

169.04 is the first driver beyond those that has worked ok on my 7800 Go GTX.

Edited by swaaye

If all else fails, uninstall the driver you have and get the official mobile drivers from NV. If those don't work, you have some other problem occurring.

169.04 is the first driver beyond those that has worked ok on my 7800 Go GTX.

Unfortunately, the Go 7800 is not supported by nvidia's mobile driver-------Your Go 7800 GTX and the GS are, but not the plain Go 7800.

Unfortunately, the Go 7800 is not supported by nvidia's mobile driver-------Your Go 7800 GTX and the GS are, but not the plain Go 7800.

I have the Inspiron E1705 with the Geforce Go 7800

The Driver 84.69 Driver did it for me

I can run Bioshock, Command and Conquer 3, and so forth

This driver fixed so many issues I was having with the dell driver, granted my notebook is spitting out over 110 degrees of heat of my card it was worth it.

Also I am about to attempt and use the 163.75 driver for XP hopefully it works even better

Guest Jessi3k3
Grab the ID for your video card and add it to Nvidia's movile 80s series driver and give it a shot. It isnt that hard to add your card to the original inf.