LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS 1730 with 8700M GT SLI Problem....

tristamus

I just bought the 1730 laptop from Dell, and for a while now have been trying to get the so said amount of "Around 8,000 marks" in 3DMARK06 with my laptop, and cannot even get close. I am currently running the 169.01 drivers, and have been through the 167.26, original drivers that came with the computer, and more, and none even get close to getting me to 8,000. The Highest I have ever gotten is 5,400!!! This leads me to believe my SLI is not working correctly. I go into my NVIDIA control panel and it says SLI is enabled, and I have it in Single-GPU, Single Display performance mode.

I am seriously not satisfied with this =( Everyone's getting higher marks than me, it seems...

This damn thing was expensive, and now I find that Vista has trouble supporting SLI =(

Can someone help me out here? This is a serious problem...

Guest Tristamus

No one knows how to fix this? I dont need a long explanation. A quick link here or their to a fix for my SLI would be great. Running my games ( especially crysis ) with one driver is disappointing... =(

No one knows how to fix this... as you totally missed the correct forum.

//moved to SLI

I bought an XPS 1730 and installed the "somewhat newer" Dell driver 156.61. I get a 3DMark2006 score of 8346. Here is my orb link:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3459004

I've been playing games with this driver and I have not had a problem - but - I have been playing NWN2 MotB so it isn't a good test. I have not tried any of the newer games (I had already finished Bioshock). I hope to pickup HellGate London soon so that will be a better test.

I just bought the 1730 laptop from Dell, and for a while now have been trying to get the so said amount of "Around 8,000 marks" in 3DMARK06 with my laptop, and cannot even get close. I am currently running the 169.01 drivers, and have been through the 167.26, original drivers that came with the computer, and more, and none even get close to getting me to 8,000. The Highest I have ever gotten is 5,400!!! This leads me to believe my SLI is not working correctly. I go into my NVIDIA control panel and it says SLI is enabled, and I have it in Single-GPU, Single Display performance mode.

I am seriously not satisfied with this =( Everyone's getting higher marks than me, it seems...

This damn thing was expensive, and now I find that Vista has trouble supporting SLI =(

Guest tristamus

Alright, but are you running VISTA or XP? That what seems to be making the most difference. It seems as if vista has NO support for SLI at ALL. I downloaded the hotfix for vista, even, and when i go to try and install it, it says it "Doesnt apply to your system." total bs.

I am running Vista and I do get SLI support. If it says "Doesn't apply to your system" that means it is already installed.

Bob

im running xp and am having probblems i have all teh seetings defaulted and running bf2 and bf 2142 on full. and when i play it chops on me as well as the screen flickers when playing or in teh menu before the game loads. im prettty mad about this as i spent alot of mone and its had problems as well they forgot to install the physics card :) so im waiting for a guy to come over and install it. very upsetting lol

wiht all the talk of vista i dont know if i sould upgrade yet as it souds like u guys are having sli issues to . myn says its enabled but when i ran the steam system info and it said i only have one card and no sli was detected :) it sucks i just want teh sweetest gaming laptop to run dammit !

• 1 month later...

I have the same laptop running Vista x64 4Gb RAM T7700 CPU and use 169.02 drivers from laptopvideo2go with modified inf's getting 3Dmark06 score of 8400 pushed to 8700 with O/C not game to go any further. SLI settings are single display performance mode and Alternate frame rendering or split frame can't remember just about to try 169.12 drivers.

• 3 months later...

Check my post, Im getting 8700 - 8900 3dmarks on 3DMARK06. 5500 aprox with no SLI .

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18287

I hope this will fix your problem.

Guest Alpha

Interestingly, I have an M1730 only recently purchased, apart from updating windows I haven't made any huge changes, and I get a lot more than 8000 marks. The last time I ran the test I got around 13,000 marks. Though I do have the an extreme CPU and other high end addons included. I did find initially that the dell driver was set to non-sli mode. I plugged in an external screen for home use and it cloned the desktops, a sure way to show that its not running sli. I fiddled the the settings, rebooted, and sure enough it was in sli then. The performance difference was clear as soon as it was done.

The option shouldn't be hidden, though I haven't played around with any update drives, as I haven't seen any evidence of significant performance boosts. The standard should be fine, tweaking other things often has a bigger impact than fairly seqential driver updates.

If you are using the nVidia control panel, and sli is avilable, there should be an option under 3d settings to turn it on (sounds like you're finding that fine though), you can also run the sli indicators so you can see the load balancing going on during tests in 3dmark. If the indicators are there, then sli is running and working.

The other thing to keep in mind I guess is exactly what specs you have in your m1730 compared to the systems you are comparing against. There is a lot of room when building the m1730 for differential specs, you could easily double someones score if they got a low end version, and you got the maxed out options.

A better option for your testing may be finding someone with a near identical system and doing some burn in tests together, see if your m1730 has any unexpected performance issues, Dell has good support for their flagship range so you should be able to get it serviced next day if there is any issue.