LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GS in hp pavillion dv9500t notebook

yeahbeer

Ok so just recently bought my first laptop (Been gaming on desktop for years) Its the HP pavillion dv9500T with:

8600m GS vid card Driver: 163.75

4Gig ram

intel core 2 duo 2.2 ghz

Windows vista ultimate home

Im getting benchmarks of about 2300 with full version 3dmark06 I feel this is quite low considering the hardware I have on it. It feel it should atleast be around 3200ish. I get frame rates of about 20 give or take on COD4 demo and UT3 demo. and about 18 average on bioshock. Is there anything I can do add or delete to get this system to run at its full potential. Im sure vistaand having an HP is my biggest draw back, But any other ideas? Im at work now but when I get home I can give more system specifics if you need them. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Edited by yeahbeer

I'm playing them on semi low settings witht he res turned a bit lower. I should still beable to play at 1440X900 with ok framerates but avg of 20 just really doesnt make me happy. I dunno maybe im just not used to it and Ill have to get over it. It runs fine and it isnt choppy but barely noticable. I guess ill have to live with it and keep gaming on desktops for the more hardcore games. Mainly worried about the more powerful games coming out if ill be able to handle them? Any ideas or should I be worried about newer games?

• 2 weeks later...

your score is too low. my 8600M GS scores 2927 at default with 169.04 drivers. when overclocked to core 583Mhz Memory 1606Mhz and Shaders 1166Mhz, i get 3310 Marks. and i have the c2d T7300 2Ghz and only 2gb of memory and windows vista.

your card is definatly downclocked to keep it cool, or theres something wrong with it. heres my gfx review http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....ost&p=61956

Edited by EVO21

• 1 month later...

Hi i have the same card 8600m GS...

My specs are : HP dv9548us with 1.67 dual core intel

2GB ram

2*100 sata hdd

8600m gs card

though for some reason my card is clocked at core 500 shaders 1000 and memory at 400 <---- is that a usuall clock for this card + i get about 2200 score in my mark06

thx

Same problem on a dv9700t. I want the 100 MHz I'm supposed to have.

I have 3 G RAM, 2.4 GHz core 2 duo, 8600M GS 256 Mo and 3DMark06 give it 2600...really low...I am running it at HP driver Release Date: 2007-11-10 Version: 7.15.11.5665 A. Would you recommend going for one of the later Moded drivers on laptopgraphics2go?

On my dv9700t on Vista with a Geforce 8600M GS, the 169.04 drivers allow me to overclock. Use those drivers and you should be fine.

On my dv9700t on Vista with a Geforce 8600M GS, the 169.04 drivers allow me to overclock. Use those drivers and you should be fine.

I can second that... I have the 169.04 drivers... and have overclocked my card to about 600(core) and 480(memory). I beleive hp underclocked my card, but i can get about 40 fps with about medium graphic settings in ut3 with the new clocks which seem pretty stable to me. I love the directx 10, but I kinda wish I went with a 7950 for the power. really unimpressed with the default clocks and power on the 8600m gs in my hp :)

My advise, if you are getting branded notebook, install a fresh OS (XP is better for gaming unless DirectX 10 is required) since most of them is come with tons of junk software that will slow the system... HP brand is one of the brand well know for bundling such tons of bloatware.

Ok ive done some research and it seems that some of us have been screwed over by HP.... or we should have asked before hand about the video card...

There is two versions of the Geforce 8600 GS one that has DDR3 memory that is clocked at 1100 MHZ i believe and then there is the Geforce 8600 GS with DDR2 that is clocked only at 400 MHZ ... So there is no way we will be able to actually get the performance of the DDR3 card .... which leaves the conclusion that we all should have gotten some 7xx serie card , cous this DDR2 card even though it has the support for DX10 wil never be able to give decent more over playable performance ;///

My specs:

HP9548us

geforce 8600 GS DDR2 500/1000/400

2*100sata hdd

2gb ddr2

intel 1.63

:)

Anox, do you know where I can find out this information you quoted? I called HP to see what version of the 8600M GS the HP Pavilion DV9700t has (DDR2/DDR3 - 1100MHz/400MHz) and the sales person wasn't much help and didn't know this information or where I can actually find out his information. She wasn't much help in determining whether the laptop has 667MHz or 800MHz ram either...

hey :) i finally registered here , but Anox was taken so i had to go with ^nox :)

Anyway , i know for sure that you can find this information in Rivatuner ... Firstly when i installed rivatuner back like 3 months ago it showed that i have dd3 memory but after i installed the latest version that had all the new 8 series of geforce fixed it finally showed that i have DDR2 ....

First download Rivatuner , after u install on the first main screen it will say what model do you have what type of memory and other info ... For example mine says that i have "128-bit G86 (A2, 16sp) with 256 MB DDR2" , this also is later reflected if you look under another tab that talks about the clocks , and my default clocks are 500/1000/400 so that proves that i must have DDR2 with slower clocks oposite to the once listed on nvidia page (GeForce 8600M GS regular DDR3 clocks)

I was verry dissapointed at first but after finding the right driver that i can over clock (for example 196.04 i overclock up to 640 core and 480 memory - so far stable) and got a score 2957 in 3dmark06)...

It is still a pitty that HP loaded their laptops with the DDR2 version + my card sits at 55 degrees idle and can go up to 95 ;/

capture2zl8.jpg

capture2zl8.867c4a979a.jpg

capture3ry7.jpg

Edited by ^nox

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ^Nox,

I have a similar computer like yours. Could you share your Riva tuner settings. My Laptop keeps crashing well under the settings that you have acomplished.

Even if I run the default settings with 169.04 driver, my benchmarking goes from 2500 (using Hp supplied driver) to 2300 using driver 169.04

Also, Windows Vista prevents Riva Tuner from starting up, how did you get around this issue?

Regards

Joel

Edited by JOHVIG

• 2 weeks later...
Hello ^Nox,

I have a similar computer like yours. Could you share your Riva tuner settings. My Laptop keeps crashing well under the settings that you have acomplished.

Even if I run the default settings with 169.04 driver, my benchmarking goes from 2500 (using Hp supplied driver) to 2300 using driver 169.04

Also, Windows Vista prevents Riva Tuner from starting up, how did you get around this issue?

Regards

Joel

Hi Joel

Sorry for the late reply i was quite bussy at school latelly , but here is the info u would like me to tell you. So far 169.04 is the only driver i was able to overclock with this laptop and that unfortunatelly doesnt mean that perforamce wise is the best. I have tryed most ov the drivers all the way up to the last 169.xx and some of the lates would give me better performace in heave games such was ut3 or crysis but overall were still not playable ... I didnt run that manny benchmark test on different drivers so i cannot say what my initil score was with the HP suplied driver , but i remember the driver 101.xx wasnt that good on my system. Im also aware that if you go to HP website they have released an update for our laptop video cards that i havent tryed yet ...

Either way since the last post i had some crashes occuring at those clocks and now i have been able to pin down so far stable clocks (for several weeks no problems have occured) . I have been playing crysis , oblivion and i believe my card would reach max temperature of 84 degrees. The clock are as you can see 640/1280/475 though unfortunatelly i cant get my rivatuner to start up with my windows and so i manually overclock if i want to play newer games by setting the clocks and hiting apply within rivatunner ...

93438939mx8.jpg

93438939mx8.fe9eb2f08d.jpg

Im actually still waiting for other people to test some other drivers and maybe share their experience if we can overclock with better drivers or if the driver update suplied by HP on their website is the best ...

I hope this helped a bit Joel