LaptopVideo2Go Forums

windows update video drivers

fat geek

I noticed something odd yesterday with a recent windows update. I am running Vista 32 bit. Anyway I have the 163.67 driver from this website installed on my computer. I ran a windows update yesterday and It found an update to my grapics card driver. After installing I saw that this windows update put the 156.44 driver on my computer. What happened? Anyway so I reinstalled the 163.67 driver back on my computer ran the windows update and again it wanted to put the 156.44 driver. This time I didn't allow my computer to run the update. Why is this happening and is this going to be a problem that everytime I run a windows update that it is going to try and change my driver on me? :)

I would guess that Windows is trying to install the latest WHQL driver it knows about.

Installing the latest driver from this site can confuse Windows update a little, not to mention Dell's own software.

Before I knew about this website, Windows Update needed 4 attempts to install the Nvidia driver (which I let it do, because I'd only just received my laptop). It's stopped trying to update me now.