Please Help WoW: Inspiron 1720 Nvidia 8600M GT Low FPS

DukeWoW

I am quite frustrated with my new machine:

Dell Inspiron 1720

CPU: Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz

Mem: 2GB

Video: Nvidia 8600M GT

Drivers: Currently 163.75 from http://files.laptopvideo2go.com/vista

I am aware this is a DX10 card. I read on various threads that people get great performance under WoW while others, myself included, are having a nightmare getting this card working properly. It came w/ Vista and the fps was in the 10-30's in outerland and raids (Hyjal and BT). I reformatted to XP Pro w/ the same results. I then reformatted back to Vista because of the DX10 and supposedly "better" drivers under Vista and now I am back to square one. I've tried all the different display resolutions and WoW video settings to no avail. I"ve tried almost every driver from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com for Vista and XP. Can anyone confirm that the 8600M GT under XP or Vista w/ certain drivers have decent fps (30-60fps in Shratt/Outerland and Raids)? Any Help would be appreciated. I work in IT so I am familiar with computers...but WoW..this is a pain.

Does anybody have these similar setup and have a driver/configuration that allows me to play WoW (World of Warcraft) properly? I can do XP/Vista32/Vista64. I just need to know how to make my new machine play WoW. Thank you in advance.

hey,

im having the same problem, with xp pro. also inspiron 1720 and 8600m gt and core duo t7500

you already tried the dell support? i heard there is no proper driver from nvidia because this card is som oem only card. so dell is responsible for the driver. there you can downlowd dells suggestion for vista drivers.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

do you encounter black screens with instant system freeze as I did with vista?

finally, on xp i use forceware 165.01, but its just a temporary soultion.

good luck on further driver search.

-steel

Yes, I had some odd video issues and WoW freezing, not the system. Whenever, WoW freezes, I just hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and start the Task Manager and WoW just shuts down. This has not happened since I reformatted to XP, then back to Vista again. I didn't use the DELL drivers on the two reformats. So I am guessing it's the crappy Dell drivers.

In your XP partition w/ the drivers, are you running WoW at a respectable frame rate of 30-60fps in Outerland and Raids?

Edited by DukeWoW

Yes, I had some odd video issues and WoW freezing, not the system. Whenever, WoW freezes, I just hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and start the Task Manager and WoW just shuts down. This has not happened since I reformatted to XP, then back to Vista again. I didn't use the DELL drivers on the two reformats. So I am guessing it's the crappy Dell drivers.

In your XP partition w/ the drivers, are you running WoW at a respectable frame rate of 30-60fps in Outerland and Raids?

i dont play wow ^^

but i had some of these errors related to diablo 2 and warcraft 3, but im not sureif that really comes from the grafics. when i hit crtl alt del, the mousepointer appears where the task manager should be, otherwise not. the screen freezes and nothing can be done.

Wow, I never knew this was a problem. I ran Wow on my old Inspiron e1405 with a GMA 950 fine.

Wow, I never knew this was a problem. I ran Wow on my old Inspiron e1405 with a GMA 950 fine.

This issue is regarding the 8600M GT in the Inspiron 1720 specifically.

This issue is regarding the 8600M GT in the Inspiron 1720 specifically.

163.76 drivers have maid my PC playable now. I haven't tried running it under Vista but only XP 32-bit so far. Thank you very much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i have the same issue on a XPS M1530 with an 8600M GT Nvidia Card...

pretty frustrating... tried everything...

i mean i can play crysis with Medium specs and no problems but wow!!!! it suddenly goes down from 60 fps to 1 or 2fps...

the only thing i could did was to uncheck the Specular Lighting and decrease to minimum Shadow Quality this increased my fps on raids but problem came back in time to time