LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m GT Overclock....

Garandhero

This was my first overclock Experiance ~

Firstly, after much self doubt I got 169.01 drivers..... I didnt do any unistall or anything to start it off, I just downloaded them and installed them with the "Have Disk" method for Vista..

Testing was as follows;

3dMark 06

Driver Version 156.69

Stock 475/400

Score: 3025

After Driver Update:

Driver Version 169.01

Stock 475/400

Score: 3195

Anyway, im not sure if my results would be better with a clean install but maybe when the next good driver release comes out ill do a full clean install if someone can tell me the steps for that sort of thing?

Anyway... After some deliberation I decided to try my first overclock ever...

Using nTune I overclocked to 600/480

Score after Overclock

Driver Version 169.01

OC'd 600/475

Score: 3866

As you can see it was quite a large jump after the Overclock... Temperatures seemed to remain very stable (My room was real cold at the time of testing though) I dont think the temps went over 55C. Certainly not over 60 and I saw no artifacting during the 3dmark 06 stress test.

Anyway What do you all think? Should I push it more? Also, I noticed some people raise the Mem Clock above the core clock... is this advisable? is it more useful than raising the core clock?

Thanks any advice or recommended freq. settings you think I ought to try let me know!

Ok not sure what this means... But I start up Lord of the Rings online to give it a whirl.... for about 3 minutes theres no problem, then my screen flashes black back... the game comes back up though... However my FPS went from around 40.5 to 6.5....... Im not sure what happened, but now theres a Yellow Triangle with a ! point in my task bar... I cant click on it though... Not sure if this was caused by me flipping around settings in game or not..

Anyway have any idea why this may happen? Is it the overclock? A fluke? a Problem with not doing a clean install of 169.01?

Also upon Restart my Overclocks are back to Stock Settings (475/400) Why would that be the case? Does nTune not automatically adjust them everytime...

Edited by Garandhero

To much? This was a conservative overclock compared to what others have been doing......

In any event I found how to make nTune save my changes and apply them at windows startup...

To much? This was a conservative overclock compared to what others have been doing......

In any event I found how to make nTune save my changes and apply them at windows startup...

Also, keep in mind that when your mobile graphics card gets hotter, it's not quite the same as a desktop graphics card, which have far more space to emanate heat. Mobile graphics cards, when giving off more heat, have less places to go, except out and over the mobo and cpu. That being considered, I wouldn't OC my 8600M GT any more than what you're doing... Personally, I have mine OCed to 575/475, enough to give me smooth FPS in The Witcher and TF2.

Garand, from your default clock speeds, it appears that you have the DDR2 card, as I do. The highest stable combination I have seen is 590/490. I was able to get a 3dmark06 score of over 4000 with the 167.26 drivers. Also, try undervolting your CPU, this decreased my CPU temps 10C-15C (go here for undervolting: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=124420)

Fair Enough Meatloaf.....

What voltages do you recommend for mutipliers 6-12, what are using whats stable?

I have a 2.4GHz Processor

Unfortunatly when I install this software ~ It doesnt show my voltages or anything.. I think it may have to do with me having a del.... I downloaded the Bugfix Version for Dell and followed the steps but when I got to voltages theres nothing there and I cant change anything... What say you Meatloaf?

Edited by Garandhero

Lots of people are getting the same problem. Its the graphics driver stops responding. Windows fixes it, but it runs at the low performance clock until you restart. I've gt no idea why it keeps happening

For now I have settled on a overclock of 575/500... seems very stable..

I also got myself a Antec Laptop Cooler, it has Dropped my Idle Temps from 45C to around 35-39C... Quite good if you ask me :)

Is the same specs for o/c apply to a 8600M GT 256MB DDR3 VRAM SLI enabled, machine X205 SLI-1. Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

Heh...

I oc my Geforce 8600m gt 651/512... Run 3dmark06..got score 4450.. :) And..temp not over even 60..

I juz use a notebook cooler pad...

Played Crysis at my laptop.. heh2..

Heh...

I oc my Geforce 8600m gt 651/512... Run 3dmark06..got score 4450.. :) And..temp not over even 60..

I juz use a notebook cooler pad...

Played Crysis at my laptop.. heh2..

same here ,,, crysis works perfect on my machine ,,, 650/540 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised, how can you put 540Mhz for RAM ? When i put most of 510Mhz, pc freeze, game freeze... Any idea ? Did you cut off Turbocache ?

• 1 month later...
Is the same specs for o/c apply to a 8600M GT 256MB DDR3 VRAM SLI enabled, machine X205 SLI-1. Thanks...

no, because it is using 800mhz ddr3 instead of the ddr2, there is a clearcut difrence.....

y dr

the overclockability is unique to everymachine....depends on several factors such as CPU, RAM, GPU, GPU RAM, North Bridge, South Bridge....tghe quality of the motherboard....the quality of the quarts crystals used in the timing mechanism of computers......etc etc..

what the best advice is to increase it in increments of no more then 20....(im increasing in increments of 10) and when the stability drops, or temprature tops above a cerain limit (abt 70 deg C) or several other signs of over doing it...

gpu 600mhz

ram 465mhz

bench, gears of war, full settings (including shadows) 35FPS

• 4 months later...
Guest SiY11
Ok not sure what this means... But I start up Lord of the Rings online to give it a whirl.... for about 3 minutes theres no problem, then my screen flashes black back... the game comes back up though... However my FPS went from around 40.5 to 6.5....... Im not sure what happened, but now theres a Yellow Triangle with a ! point in my task bar... I cant click on it though... Not sure if this was caused by me flipping around settings in game or not..

Anyway have any idea why this may happen? Is it the overclock? A fluke? a Problem with not doing a clean install of 169.01?

Also upon Restart my Overclocks are back to Stock Settings (475/400) Why would that be the case? Does nTune not automatically adjust them everytime...

Your driver crashed and Vista recovered it. It happens with me even without overclocking. It is either the game needs to be patched or a bug in the GPU driver.

Im overclocking my 8600M GT stable at

Core: 600 (I dare NOT go over that)

Shader: 1200

Memory: 533

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After some O/C, my best results are: 5715 (3dmark06 1024x768 everything else - default).

My GPU: 8600M GT 256mb DDR2.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8100 2.1Ghz.

Overclocks (i can go further, but after this point it gets unstable): 650/540.

hi,

i have a nvidia 8600M gt and an intel t7400 (~2x2.2ghz) and 2gb ram ddr2 667mhz i ter to play crysis 2 but after that i install that and go to lauch it , on the screen appera a message that report: the file IntelLaptopGaming.dll is missed. but i have seen on the bin32 folder and the file is present.

Can someone upload this file please, this is very small, PLEASE :)

thanks

• 2 months later...

Whenever i try to overclock my 8600m gt in rivatuner or ntune i can set the clocks higher but it just RESETS whenever i exit?! Help please it did this on the Nvidia driver 179 series and now on Dox's 180.84.1 drivers! HELP please i can't find a solution anywhere! Thx!