LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell m1710 Overheating Problems

chaos.theorist

Hey everyone -

This is just an FYI...

I installed the 163.44 drivers for Vista on my 1710 and I had major overheating problems after that. After about 5-10 minutes of gameplay (HL2: EP1) my sistem would turn off due to overheating. I downloaded I8KFANGUI to monitor the temps and turn the fans on a little sooner than the Dell presets. After monitoring the temps I realized that there was a pretty major problem. But the drivers increased my FPS by a significant amount so I didn't want to uninstall the drivers and go back to the VERY old Dell supported drivers. Dell's drivers are terrible and anything passed Doom 3 plays like arse.

My temps with the 163.44 drivers during gameplay would hover around 97 degrees C - the highest I saw was 104C!! But the average was mostly just shy of 100C and my system would issue a critical shutdown quite often. So...here's what I did:

Tools/Supplies:

Set of Jewelers Screwdrivers

Can of Compressed Air (Had an extra bottle in my office but probably costs about $2.00)

Tube of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound ($19.95)

91% Rubbing Alcohol ($0.99 at any drug store)

Paper Towels

6-Pack of Beer (optional)

Use the documentation found here to disassemble your notebook:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/SM/index.htm

There is a lot to it, but it's actually pretty simple to do if you have a little hardware experience (which I'm sure most of you do - don't all gamers?) BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE ANY SCREWS!! :)

What you need to do is remove the heatsink from the CPU and graphics card (GPU). After you've removed them, use the compressed air and clean off the fins on the heatsinks really well and blow off the fans. The CPU is the one to the left of the chassis and was pretty easy to get to. (note: when removing the heatsink assembly's try not to touch the copper as the oils from your hands will slightly damage the copper finish. I doubt it would make much of a difference but hey, if it saves you 1 degree, follow the advice since it all adds up. After you remove the CPU heatsink, clean off the old thermal compound with a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol (go easy on the alcohol). The co-processor has a little purple thermal pad - remove that. Spread the Arctic Silver across the top of the CPU but don't use too much - you don't want it oozing all over the CPU as that's counterproductive to the goal. On the co-processor (the one to the right of the CPU) use a little more because you want the Arctic Silver to replace the purple pad which has a little thickness to it. Now you're done with the CPU....on to the GPU.

The graphics card is actually attached to the heatsink assembly and it's a little scary taking it apart because it feels like the two shouldn't separate. But they do so rest assured. Unscrew EVERY screw on it! They don't come all the way out but you can tell when they are fully unscrewed (that should make sense while you're doing it). Using your fingers and thumbs, pull them apart - it takes a little finger muscle because the original thermal compound 'glues' the two together. Not really, but it feels like it. After you have the graphics card separated from the heatsink assembly, clean off all the old compound and apply your AS5 compound. When putting the card/HS back together, leave the thinker purple pads in place, but you can replace the thinner ones with AS5 (I did).

Put it all back together and happy hunting!

After this mod, my GPU peak temp is 81 degrees C and CPU is 56C - and that's under heavy load. HUGE difference! I actually had a cooling pad before the AS5 mod and even with the cooling pad my PC would do a critical shutdown - though not as often. But this temp savings was accomplished with the AS5 and heatsink cleaning only. I hope this helps some of you out!!!

i had the same problem as you, but all i did was ring dell. they sent a guy round the next day with 2 new fans (gpu and cpu) and a new graphics card. it was an upgrade as well. i now have the 7950 gtx instead of the 7900 gtx

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. I'll have to get my hands on some arctic silver and try this out.

Now to just figure out how to take apart this damn laptop..

• 2 weeks later...

ive the same problem..

and theres no way im going back to the old (June 06) Dell drivers because nearly every game would experience stutters (especially Bioshock) every 5mins or so which was very annoying.

wouldn't simply spraying vents with compressed air help? is it not JUST the dust clogging up the system?

• 6 months later...
Guest Harry

Hi Guys,

Anyone that is having trouble with the dell xps m1710 i can confirm that the below solution works. I didn't replace the purple pads, but I put new thermal paste on my CPU and GPU and my machine is back to normal. All the red dots on my screen are gone and my fans only turn on every now and than when playing games.

Many thanks for this solution!

Hey everyone -

This is just an FYI...

I installed the 163.44 drivers for Vista on my 1710 and I had major overheating problems after that. After about 5-10 minutes of gameplay (HL2: EP1) my sistem would turn off due to overheating. I downloaded I8KFANGUI to monitor the temps and turn the fans on a little sooner than the Dell presets. After monitoring the temps I realized that there was a pretty major problem. But the drivers increased my FPS by a significant amount so I didn't want to uninstall the drivers and go back to the VERY old Dell supported drivers. Dell's drivers are terrible and anything passed Doom 3 plays like arse.

My temps with the 163.44 drivers during gameplay would hover around 97 degrees C - the highest I saw was 104C!! But the average was mostly just shy of 100C and my system would issue a critical shutdown quite often. So...here's what I did:

Tools/Supplies:

Set of Jewelers Screwdrivers

Can of Compressed Air (Had an extra bottle in my office but probably costs about $2.00)

Tube of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound ($19.95)

91% Rubbing Alcohol ($0.99 at any drug store)

Paper Towels

6-Pack of Beer (optional)

Use the documentation found here to disassemble your notebook:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/SM/index.htm

There is a lot to it, but it's actually pretty simple to do if you have a little hardware experience (which I'm sure most of you do - don't all gamers?) BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE ANY SCREWS!! :)

What you need to do is remove the heatsink from the CPU and graphics card (GPU). After you've removed them, use the compressed air and clean off the fins on the heatsinks really well and blow off the fans. The CPU is the one to the left of the chassis and was pretty easy to get to. (note: when removing the heatsink assembly's try not to touch the copper as the oils from your hands will slightly damage the copper finish. I doubt it would make much of a difference but hey, if it saves you 1 degree, follow the advice since it all adds up. After you remove the CPU heatsink, clean off the old thermal compound with a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol (go easy on the alcohol). The co-processor has a little purple thermal pad - remove that. Spread the Arctic Silver across the top of the CPU but don't use too much - you don't want it oozing all over the CPU as that's counterproductive to the goal. On the co-processor (the one to the right of the CPU) use a little more because you want the Arctic Silver to replace the purple pad which has a little thickness to it. Now you're done with the CPU....on to the GPU.

The graphics card is actually attached to the heatsink assembly and it's a little scary taking it apart because it feels like the two shouldn't separate. But they do so rest assured. Unscrew EVERY screw on it! They don't come all the way out but you can tell when they are fully unscrewed (that should make sense while you're doing it). Using your fingers and thumbs, pull them apart - it takes a little finger muscle because the original thermal compound 'glues' the two together. Not really, but it feels like it. After you have the graphics card separated from the heatsink assembly, clean off all the old compound and apply your AS5 compound. When putting the card/HS back together, leave the thinker purple pads in place, but you can replace the thinner ones with AS5 (I did).

Put it all back together and happy hunting!

After this mod, my GPU peak temp is 81 degrees C and CPU is 56C - and that's under heavy load. HUGE difference! I actually had a cooling pad before the AS5 mod and even with the cooling pad my PC would do a critical shutdown - though not as often. But this temp savings was accomplished with the AS5 and heatsink cleaning only. I hope this helps some of you out!!!

XPS 1530 has a similar setup.. (expect the GPU is built into the mainboard)

Replacing the pads/ paste (AS5 is by far the better option) and blowing out the dust is the solution to overheating..

A dell techie did this to my system yesterday, and my temps. went from 93 Oc to 73 Oc

Massive improvement!

• 6 months later...

Thanks ... chaos.theorist worked a treat...down from idle temp of 72C to 48C graphics now working a treat, must of been throttling down due to the heat.

Taking the laptop apart is pretty easy and only one screw left over !!

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

I had the same problem but my results were good but not outstanding. I truly think that the 7950 GTX runs pretty hot from stock. My CPU never gets close to 56 even in hardcore gaming but my GPU reaches 93 degrees Celsius and goes down quickly to anywhere from 85 to 90 degrees Celsius. I am pretty good with hardware and I also maintain my laptop in peak condition. Instead of AS5 I used Arctic Cooling MX2 and it worked great for me(not much of a difference in load temp than AS5). I am also using the Nvidia system monitor and I believe it's really accurate. I8K reads at least 8 degrees less than what your system is actually at and it dosen't work for me because the fan noise gets irritating. What temp monitor are you guys using??? I really want to find the best info to get this lappy running right if it isn't already.

In I8K options, there is one where you can offset the temp, the same happens to me, it reads it 8 degress different, so you just offset it that amount.. Under Options--> Advanced --> bottom right, GPU Offset. Make that 8, sorted...

I use I8K fan as I can set when I want the fans to turn on, which makes the GPU a tad cooler.

• 7 months later...
Guest Vanessa

i had the same problem as you, but all i did was ring dell. they sent a guy round the next day with 2 new fans (gpu and cpu) and a new graphics card. it was an upgrade as well. i now have the 7950 gtx instead of the 7900 gtx

I don't know how you figure having the 7950 is gonna help...mine is the same card and it overheats everytime. I tried playing dragon age origins I got through the intro then went to create a character got to the 3rd option and it turned itself off. It overheats for brothers in arms also. I think u may have more probs unless they gave you way better fans. Unfortunately my computer didnt start doing this til a little while ago. Someone else ordered this pc for me and told me it had a 5 yr warranty well turns out it expired this past august so can't get the fans replaced...I would like to try the instructions on here but a little leary about taking it apart its my only pc...maybe I can get a technician in town to do it...

How about just cleaning the dust out of the fans? Over time they clog up, and a layer of dust goes between the heatsink and the fan, which effectivly stops air getting through. Clean them out and the laptop should be a lot cooler.

Edited by aliveanddead86

How about just cleaning the dust out of the fans? Over time they clog up, and a layer of dust goes between the heatsink and the fan, which effectivly stops air getting through. Clean them out and the laptop should be a lot cooler.

Overheated damaged Dell XPS M1710 GeForceGo 7950GTX graphics card. Heat damaged memory. 3 cards down now. Don't think it's worth replacing it again. Dell should do a product recall.

Please sign this petition if you have the same problem.

http://www.petitiononline.com/XPSM1710/petition.html

Please pass and post the petition URL around for others with the same problem to sign.

Thanks

Hi

Mine just recently started overheating and shutting down while playing cod4 .

Im thinking of following the above instructions.. but i also wanted to check and ensure that my fans are working.

i have one fan in there working now ,, im sure.

Is there 2 fans?

i dont feel air flowing from the right side of the lap top when the left side is flowing.. Maybe a bad fan?

Where could i get this fan? I think i can handle takin apart to apply the as5....

How could i test my hardware to see if fans are indeed working?

Thanks,

John the computer nub,,,, marietta ohio.

There are 2 fans, the one on the right is not as big as the one on the left, and is harder to detect air coming out.

Just use i8kfangui http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html and it will tell you what rpm your fans are at, plus the tempurature of your gpu and cpu. Although the gpu needs to be turned on in the options, plus a 8 degrees increase on the gpu temperature, which is also in the options. Just monitor the temps, and clean the fans out if they go too high.

There is most likely a layer of dust between the fan and the heat sink, which stops the air flow going through.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest health 16

i8kfangui will let you know if your fan are running, also take note that i i8kfangui will mostly help with the idle temp and wont prevent the m1710 from overheating under load borderland and l4d can make my m1710 reach 100c-105c even with cleaning monthly the system is i am sorry to say utter s*** not for the component in it but because of the conception of the case(aside from the poor conception of the 79XX serie)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulmac

Don't know if this will work for Dell's, but I have had a hell of a time trying to get my GPU Fan to even turn on in my Toshiba P100, with temps going over 103'C. But then I found this reg tweak and at last I've solved the problem. Fan now ramps up and keeps the Go 7900 GTX around 82-84'C under full load. (currently using 186.81 driver)

I've added these keys to the registry;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]

"MXMThermalControl"=dword:00000001

"SilentModeControl"=dword:00000001

Toshiba's have a performance and silent mode for the GPU in the bios, but neither would get the fan working. This reg tweak finally fixed the problem. I think you will need to add it after any video driver installs. No more frying eggs on the keyboard for me! (too messy anyway)

This may work on other machines with a go 7900 gtx.... or not, but shouldn't do any harm. If it works for you please post.

I claim NO credit for this tweak. I was madly searching for an answer 2 nights ago, about 1am and found it .... somewhere. I was too tired to remember where, but a BIG THANKS to whoever did it!

Guest paulmac

Don't know if this will work for Dell's, but I have had a hell of a time trying to get my GPU Fan to even turn on in my Toshiba P100, with temps going over 103'C. But then I found this reg tweak and at last I've solved the problem. Fan now ramps up and keeps the Go 7900 GTX around 82-84'C under full load. (currently using 186.81 driver)

I've added these keys to the registry;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]

"MXMThermalControl"=dword:00000001

Toshiba's have a performance and silent mode for the GPU in the bios, but neither would get the fan working. This reg tweak finally fixed the problem. I think you will need to add it after any video driver installs. No more frying eggs on the keyboard for me! (too messy anyway)

This may work on other machines with a go 7900 gtx.... or not, but shouldn't do any harm. If it works for you please post.

I claim NO credit for this tweak. I was madly searching for an answer 2 nights ago, about 1am and found it .... somewhere. I was too tired to remember where, but a BIG THANKS to whoever did it!

Whoops, change

to

"SilentModeControl"=dword:00000000

The original post was from someone trying to turn their fan OFF(Don't know why)

Sorry about that. :-)

Hey Guys,

I had the same problem but my results were good but not outstanding. I truly think that the 7950 GTX runs pretty hot from stock. My CPU never gets close to 56 even in hardcore gaming but my GPU reaches 93 degrees Celsius and goes down quickly to anywhere from 85 to 90 degrees Celsius. I am pretty good with hardware and I also maintain my laptop in peak condition. Instead of AS5 I used Arctic Cooling MX2 and it worked great for me(not much of a difference in load temp than AS5). I am also using the Nvidia system monitor and I believe it's really accurate. I8K reads at least 8 degrees less than what your system is actually at and it dosen't work for me because the fan noise gets irritating. What temp monitor are you guys using??? I really want to find the best info to get this lappy running right if it isn't already.

Very interested in this thread--- Same lappy as all here. I also use I8K and so far, using FAN CONTROL, it seems to make my lappy run a whole lot cooler. In fact, after 3 gpu's and 2 mobos, (all under warranty) this is the most stable my sys has been since probs began in Dec '08 beginning with its original 7900 GTX. Having said that, I should also state that games I play are not that graphic intensive, example; Silent Hunter 3 and 4.

Questions: Nvidia system monitor? Never heard of it--- Where can I get this?

And: where did you get the info about 8 degree LESS offset while running I8K? Please confirm/post that info if you can.

Thanks and best regards

The offset is 8 degrees MORE than what I8kfangui is telling you, which can be changed in the options. Using any other program to monitor temperatures (atitool, speedfan for example) always results in the temperature being 8 degrees higher than i8kfangui states.

It is also mentioned here (post number 10) http://www.notebookf...read190978.html about the offset.

There is a nvmonitor in the control panel if you have ntune installed, http://www.nvidia.co...5.05.54.00.html which I use, even though nvidia system tools has replaced it, I prefer the integration into the control panel more.

Hope this helps you out a bit

Edited by aliveanddead86

I've just gone through the process outlined above and the results were excellent. Even when it was idle I used to get readings of 69 deg, it is now sat happily at 46! The temperatures are from I8kfan so my not be accurate, but the difference is the same either way!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Andyj965

Hi Guys,

Just to let you all know. I have an m1710 that was having massive overheating issues. I also installed the fan control software which did improve the situation but didn't fix it much. Just meant my laptop was now very noisy as well as hot. The laptop would still run in the 70-80 degrees range without running any applications at all.

My laptop was out of warranty so i didn't bother contacting dell. Instead i just downloaded there instructions for removing and re-installing the hardware components.

When i took my laptop apart i found the following:

The thermal paste dell uses for it's CPU heatsink is a thermal pad (cheap crap). I wiped the top of the CPU and the heat sink clean and applied arctic silver.

I also removed the Processor Thermal-Cooling assembly and the Video Card/Thermal Cooling assembly. Here i found that the GPU over-heating issue is caused by the Processor Thermal-Cooling assembly. The fins that the Processor Thermal-Cooling assembly runs through had a layer of dust and crap built up in front of them stopping the air flow from hitting the Processor Thermal-Cooling pipe. On the other side of this pipe is the pipe for the Video Card/Thermal Cooling assembly. This meant that the fan was not cooling these two components at all. The cooling assemblies have a black cover that runs across the fins to direct the air flow. This also prevents you from seeing the dust build up unless you look closely.

After removing the dust from the Processor Thermal-Cooling assembly and applying the arctic silver the results were amazing.

My laptop started running 30-40 degrees cooler.

The Service Manual is located at http://supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1710/en/index.htm. They are really quite easy to follow.

This may not be the fix for everyone but the symptoms that have been described match the ones i had.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andy

• 3 years later...

I followed chaos.theorist's instructions (with help from http://www.niek.be/2010/01/03/cool-down-your-dell-xps/) and so far the results look good. My case is a bit different. I had the heat problem more or less under control (Dell changed my video card three times, eventually installing the 7950; I used compressed air regularly to clean out the dust; I used i8kFanGui to monitor the temperatures and even modified it to play a sound when the GPU temp gets too high; when gaming I put cool blocks from the freezer wrapped in cloth under the laptop hehe). However at airport security bad luck and bad tray design caused me to drop the laptop. Since then it's acted weird. It will suddenly slow down to a crawl, and then the video dissolves into a pattern of coloured lines (a classic symptom of overheating). The diags reported a level 2 cache problem. To "reset" the slowdown I have to turn it off and remove the battery. With Spain's summer heat, the problem has got much worse.

So I decided to dismantle the thing and see if I could see any damage. First there was the dust. Even with compressed air, clumps of dust and pet hairs build up inside and nothing will shift them unless you open the thing up. One or two were lodged directly in the left-hand fan. I'm surprised it moved at all. I'd noticed that the fans didn't make as much noise as before - now I know why.

Second when I got to the CPU and GPU the heatsink seemed loose. Perhaps the fall broke the old thermal paste. In any case, I came across this page and replaced the thermal pad and paste with arctic silver. 

The combination of clear fans, less dust and new thermal compound seems to have reduced the temperatures substantially. The fan's certainly noisier at full speed (i.e., it's actually capable of turning properly). So far, there's been no weird behaviour, but it's too early to declare victory. I'm not especially optimistic about gaming, since the high temperatures have probably fried the graphics card (again), but I don't game much on this old laptop anyway. If it works for normal usage I'll be happy until a decent replacement appears. 

Many thanks for the great info.