LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce Go 7900 GTX Drivers

destman1

Guest Eric Gatley

All,

So far no luck, they want me to send my computer back in to help me get stuff to work. They keep stressing that not all drivers will work with all systems, etc. We'll see what happens. However, question I have for everyone, what BIOS version are your video cards? I've got 5.71.22.15.11. I was thinking that maybe the older versions work better. Any ideas? Also is there a program for us to verify that it's the same bios on both cards? I only see one which is the version I provided.

Eric

I have the same problem as you with the black screens and I am also using 5.71.22.15.11. I use the program TechPowerup GPU-z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/930/T...U-Z_v0.1.6.html that has a selector for what video card on the bottom and the bios is the same for both. I dont know if its actually changing though everything stays the same. But that seems so show the bios for both.

I have a single GeForce Go 7900GTX in my dell m1710, what driver version do you reccomend? I am using 171.16 right now, but should I be using 169.28? I want to play some games on my computer, but some don't run right such as FEAR and Crysis no matter what settings I use frames get choppy and stuff. Unreal Tournament 3 works well, however.

• 6 months later...

Found the following from Guest_Razvan_* Alienware m9750 SLi Workaround - XPx32 which may help with the black screen issue on mALX machines that some of you are experiencing:

However when using the 169.xx drivers the blank screen appeard after installing the second card.Further testing showed that the laptop did not hang.What happens, and i am not an expert because i donn't work for nvidia, is that since only one GPU is active by default, the diplay seems to switch to the second GPU the minute you try to install it.Here is where the OS craks.

The driver wants to use the newer card as the primary diplay,but Windows sends digital signals to the older card which is suposetly disabled(IRQ conflict most likely).That's why you get the blank screen.I never used the install one card at a time technique,thought that is what the setup is doing with no reboots in between.Instead i tryed to memorize where the Finish button is located on screen when the setup finishes, so before the screen goes blank i positioned the cursor where the button should be.Given that it takes about 2 minutes per card to install, i waited another 2 minutes with the blank screen and then blind click.Once it worked,the computer rebooted and i could use SLI, just like it was supposed to.The rest of the times it didnn't because i miss calculated the mouse pointer position.Instead i used something else that never failed me.

Press winodws key + R.That will open the run window in the bottom left corner of the screen.Remember that you are blind.Now type in this command without quotes : "shutdown -r -f -t0".It means reboot computer, force quit any application that is running and wait 0 seconds before doing that.If you typed it correctly the computer should reboot immediately.It worked every time for me.Though i do not recomed using this approach, i used it just as an example to prove that there will be no severe damage to the computer performace it you get the blank screen.

• 1 month later...

You may want to try v176.09 from Clevo - no need for any modded inf. N.B. Use the link provided by M_P_E on that page as the 'download' at the top of the page doesn't work.

I installed them a couple of weeks ago and they work fine with Crysis and World in Conflict (the only games I have played so far with these drivers).

The only issue installing these is that after installing the second card the screen goes black. But don't panic - just wait a few minutes and hit enter. You should hear the Windows logging off sound and the machine will reboot. After reboot you will need to enable SLI using the Nvidia Control panel.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Stryker

Hi, I am in the same boat as everyone else... and no luck for me yet (Alienware mALX w/ Dual-wielding nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX SLI). I still have 86.22 and tried every driver without success (aka - good install but black screen upon reboot).

I'm gonna give your 176.09 a try and then if that fails, I'll try 169.04.

See if I buy from Alienware again.

Thanks for ya'llz help.