LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop in a Crysis

ClownSt0pper

My laptop is currently the following:

AMD Turion X2 TL-60 2.0GHZ

2x NVIDIA Geforce Go 7950 GTX 512MB

Windows XP (32 Bit)

2GB DDR 2 667MHz

I am currently running NVidia drivers 169.9 having had to install them using this website.

When running games such as Bioshock, World in Conflict and Quake Wars I have incredibly high FPS and absolutely no problems. When it comes to Crysis it is another matter entirely.

The game stutters and starts and generally runs like a dogs dinner irrespective of what I do. Admitadely in places it runs great, in others it is unplayable due to the choppy stuttering.

I am unsure as to A) Whether my laptop is even capable of running this game (despite it meeting the specifications) :) Whether it is just because my Video Cards are laptop versions of which I'm aware Crysis does not support C) Whether SLI is even working despite me updating my driver through this website.

Its incredibly annoying as my brother whos computer is a much lower spec than mine runs the game like lightning on high settings although he is using a desktop..

If anyone has any advice or answers I would be very greatful, I'm absolutely gutted as its a game I really want to play and my technical knowledge is somewhat limited.

Thankyou all for your time :)

[edit] On a side note, I have since rolled back my drivers to the version my laptop shipped with (8.6.1.4, 07/08/2006) as I was informed that they are still the "best for SLI support on my cards" again, this made no difference to how any of my games run, and Crysis still runs awful.

I am currently running Crysis in 1280x768, all graphic settings are at Medium except Shader quality (high) object quality (high) water (high).

Edited by ClownSt0pper

Guest jamesbigmac

Well I know that dual card setups such as SLI and Crossfire are always a bit fritzy when it comes to new games. Basically, most games need to have their drivers updated (this only happens about a month or two after the game is released). So basically, run the game on one card for now, and when newer drivers come up, then you can switch back over to your SLI setup. I know I can run 1024 x 768 at high settings with my 8600m, so you should be able to run everything just the same with your setup, and even better when SLI is enabled.

With SLI you should be able to run it on stock medium to high ingame settings at WUXGA and get a decently playable framerate, at least with 169.09.

You might need the future patch to get that kind of performance though.

In the meantime you should run some UT3 at WUXGA with all of the graphics settings turned up and marvel at your ability to play competitively because of the silky smooth framerates.

With SLI you should be able to run it on stock medium to high ingame settings at WUXGA and get a decently playable framerate, at least with 169.09.

You might need the future patch to get that kind of performance though.

In the meantime you should run some UT3 at WUXGA with all of the graphics settings turned up and marvel at your ability to play competitively because of the silky smooth framerates.

[edit] found out what WUXGA stands for myself :)

On a side note, I have just restarted Crysis and it is still unplayable, it constantly stutters and starts irrespective of settings. I will re-update my drivers to 169.9 if it is on your recommendation.

On a positive note, I have just installed UT3 and it runs light lightning (even on my old drivers)!

Edited by ClownSt0pper