LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Blue-Ray movie playback.

mac_angel

I've tried many different drivers on both OS's, Vista64 and XP Pro SP2 and I can't get any 3rd party driver to work with playing my blue-ray movies. Every time I try I get "incompatible graphics driver, please install a newer version of graphics driver and try again". I just got this now after installing 169.17. That should be new enough, but it won't play still.

Running on PowerDVD DX v.7 that came with my Dell XPS-M1710 with all updates.

Try the 156.55 driver, that one works for me.

You might want to get Any DVD HD, to rule out any HDCP compatibility problems.

I don't think it checks for WHQL, I can mod a working driver's INF to break it, and it still plays back movies fine.

However I have had problems launching HD DVDs in SLI mode and dual monitor mode. Although I did get a movie to run one time using 169.09 while SLI was enabled. I was not able to get it to run again though.

I am thinking that these new 169 drivers are just too buggy right now. However 169.21 might work.

Try the 156.55 driver, that one works for me.

You might want to get Any DVD HD, to rule out any HDCP compatibility problems.

I don't think it checks for WHQL, I can mod a working driver's INF to break it, and it still plays back movies fine.

However I have had problems launching HD DVDs in SLI mode and dual monitor mode. Although I did get a movie to run one time using 169.09 while SLI was enabled. I was not able to get it to run again though.

I am thinking that these new 169 drivers are just too buggy right now. However 169.21 might work.

AnyDVD HD didn't work. What player are you using?

I'm actually using power DVD

However it seems to skip with SLI on, at least after running a game first.

Other media players, even hardware accelerated ones, don't skip.

Try HDTV Pump Filter with Media Player Classic. It might work.

media player classic doesn't ever recognize there's a DVD there. Windows Media Player won't let me open any of the menues and is REALLY slow.

drivers 165.55 don't come with a modded INF for me to install on my laptop.

I have been doing some research and it is true that HD content from HD DVDs and Blu Ray cannot run when it detects a non WHQL driver. Microsoft is demmanding both ATI and NVidia graphic cards to follow certain specifications in order to create a DRM content environment.

When HD Premium Content (as Microsoft calls it) is being played on non-microsoft-certified hardware (or hardware drivers in this case) then the reproduction of such content is reduced to Standard Definition or completely prevented to keep on playing. This is the result of movie studios pressing hard on Microsoft to prevent piracy.

So non-WHQL drivers will mostly have problems playing "HD Premium Content" from HD DVDs or Blu Rays.

I'm using non-WHQL drivers and I can play back HD DVDs in power dvd, even without anydvd hd running.

However on the 156.55 drivers powerdvd always runs choppy with sli enabled (all other players run fine)

I think it runs smoothly in sli with the 169.xx series though. (got it to run once with sli on 169.09 driver, played back smooth)

I'm still holding off testing of all these new 169 drivers as the only game that needs them is crysis, and there is no patch for it still.....

are you trying these on a laptop or a desktop? I've tried WHQL drivers including the 156.55 ones but I have to mod the nv_disp file to accept my GeForce GO graphics card. I'm not sure if that moding is what does it, but when I do go to install I get the driver signing warning in the installation. But since I'm running Vista, I'm not getting the problem of having to hit F8 at startup to disable the driver signature thing.

I've tried both the PowerDVD DX that came with my Dell lappy, as well as PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra with all the updates and I get the same error about the drivers.

I am using my laptop of course; my quad core SLI Clevo D901C from Xtremenotebooks.

I will tell Pieter to get a mod INF up for 156.55 next time I talk to him.

You shouldn't even need a mod INF though. I looked in the 156.55 topics and this driver set has many OEM INFs, some of which support the 7950 GTX Go.

Check the driver directory after you download it from here and uncompress it. It should have another folder or Zip file with the OEM INFs.

nope, retried it again without a modded INF, just from the straight download, and I got the message could not find any compatible hardware.

Thing is, I've tried a lot of the drivers with and without modded INFs and I get the same message from PowerDVD when I try to play a Blue-Ray movie. Cyberlink's response is to call Dell if I use PowerDVD DX, or if I'm using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra, use unmodded drivers from Dell. Dell's drivers haven't been updated since Feb 2007 and are really $hitty for gaming.

UPDATE: Just about. I downloaded the XTreme-G Mobile 162.62 Vista64 drivers and installed them. I was able to get Blue-Ray movies to play without that error message, but same problem you seem to be having - running REALLY slowly. Like a couple frames a second slowly. Tried it on a couple of different BR DVDs

UPDATE 2: These drivers suck for gaming. Something is wrong with them. I'm getting 5 fps playing jericho at 1280x800. Back to looking for other drivers.

Update 3: Been at this for hours now. Using 163.11 Vista64 drivers from LaptopVideoToGo. They work well for gaming, but can't get Blue-Ray to work so I'm back at the beginning. I'd like to try other XTreme-G drivers but it seems they have a problem with their site and it won't let me sign in.

Edited by mac_angel

still spending hours upon hours try to get my blue-ray to work. I've got AnyDVD 6.2.0.2 and PowerDVD 7.3 ultra with the latest patches. Tried drivers from LaptopVideo2Go and XTreme-G Mobile. One set work from XTreme-G to play Blue-Ray movies, but the performance is really bad in both movies and games. Like 3-7 fps in both.

Desperate for help.

Guest DoubleZero

Hi,

I had the same problem with playing Blu-ray disks when using any driver other than the ones supplied from Sony and the options in the Nvidia control panel was rubbish with the Sony drivers, what I did was uninstall the Sony drivers and after a reboot did a windows update and there was 167.43 drivers there to download and these have all the options in the control panel I expect from Nvidia drivers, I haven't tried them for gaming just yet as I've only just installed them but I though I'd post here and pass the information on as it might help someone else.

Happy Christmas!

Hi,

I had the same problem with playing Blu-ray disks when using any driver other than the ones supplied from Sony and the options in the Nvidia control panel was rubbish with the Sony drivers, what I did was uninstall the Sony drivers and after a reboot did a windows update and there was 167.43 drivers there to download and these have all the options in the control panel I expect from Nvidia drivers, I haven't tried them for gaming just yet as I've only just installed them but I though I'd post here and pass the information on as it might help someone else.

Happy Christmas!

yea, I did that with Vista64 as well. Was okay with gaming, but still wouldn't play Blue-Ray movies

The drivers offered to you on Windows Update didn't let the Blu Ray work? That is odd. Usually Windows Update fetches the appropiate drivers for your card depending on your manufacturer so everything works as it should.

On 167.43 I can play Blu Ray movies without any problem and they work smooth for me (Spiderman 3 in HD is really something to see!)

The drivers offered to you on Windows Update didn't let the Blu Ray work? That is odd. Usually Windows Update fetches the appropiate drivers for your card depending on your manufacturer so everything works as it should.

On 167.43 I can play Blu Ray movies without any problem and they work smooth for me (Spiderman 3 in HD is really something to see!)

okay, what windows are you running? I was running Vista64 before but for some reason my video card drivers kept crashing when I was playing Unreal Tourny 3 and they were the Dell ones. I'm thinking it was because I was uninstalling and reinstalling so many times. I used DriverCleaner Pro, but I don't think it does a great job in Vista.

So, anyways, I'm back to XP Pro with all the updates and stuff. I'm running the Dell drivers again, but they aren't that great for tweaking.

I am using Windows Vista 32 with Service Pack 1, but even before SP1 I could perfectly play Blu Ray movies with 167.43 drivers. Those are so far the ONLY drivers that work smooth for me, as the rest simply slow down the whole system overall. But that's another story I already asked a week ago in the Support discussions (though no answers yet).