LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v169.25 Windows Vista 32bit | NVIDIA

mobilenvidia

For me Crysis runs great on these drivers except for one single thing: Shaders...

I just can't play Crysis with Shaders on anything over Low. It just works too choppy when water or certain light effects are shown on the screen. Everything else can work perfectly on Medium or High (the highest one works on SOME categories without slowing down the game as well).

The same happens with Bioshock: if the shaders are on, I can't play with any resolution higher than 800 x 600 or the game will be choppy.

Is there just something wrong with shaders on my NVidia 8600M GS??

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles-0100

• Batumulia

• Sinth

• ByronGman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me Crysis runs great on these drivers except for one single thing: Shaders...

I just can't play Crysis with Shaders on anything over Low. It just works too choppy when water or certain light effects are shown on the screen. Everything else can work perfectly on Medium or High (the highest one works on SOME categories without slowing down the game as well).

The same happens with Bioshock: if the shaders are on, I can't play with any resolution higher than 800 x 600 or the game will be choppy.

Is there just something wrong with shaders on my NVidia 8600M GS??

Is that specific to these drivers or just in general.

I have a 8600M GT and can play Crysis with the shaders on med.

interesting , play CSS with this driver , i found that the map loading time is much faster than before ( compare with 04 , 13 , 17 ... etc ) , and also overclockable

Edited by Charles-0100

Something weird happened after installed this drivers: When I updated the Index Vista experience, I had 4.8 for 3D Apps and after the driver update it went up to 5.2 (that's fantastic), but the Aero experience was 4.7 and after the updtae it went down to 4.4... what happened ther I wonder?

ByronGman, all the drivers I have tested so far have severe slowdowns whenever the shaders are working, and this applies for most modern games (Dirt, Bioshock, Crysis...). The difference between the 8600M GS and the 8600M GT seems to be the number of unified shaders, which is doubled in the GT.

But even then I don't think it is normal for shaders to work so poorly when running at 800 x 600. It simply makes no sense. The 8600M GS is by no means a bad video card and it should be able to fare better than running choppy on Crysis with everything turned down to low and shaders on medium (demonstrating that it is really the shaders what slow down the game, because with everything on medium-high and shaders low it runs quite smooth on higher resolutions as well).

Just installed these drivers, I'm now getting 4272 3dMark06 points (note that this is only a 30 point (less than 1%) increase on the results gleaned from 169.17). With that said, they still give the best performance of any driver out there (on my machine at least)!

Edited by jph_vi

hi,

thanks for the update..

i have installed the 169.25 and restart my system.

but still the problem isnt solve... fully..

i`m playing FIFA08 with my

HP Pavilion dv6715TX

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2,

2g ram,

250g hdd,

with NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS

on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

previously, before i install the update.. even the menu selecting was slow..

but now.. the menu was fast..

but i have the problem when playing the game.. it is in slow motion...

which version is suitable for me?? can anyone help me?

Edited by hailmunan

Last time I looked it seems that fifa doesn't support laptops, which is very weird. They acknowledge there a problems with it but they have also stated that they didn't support them. I had alot of problems with fifa especially the menu. I use pes08 now which works alot better. Try to search for a patch on fifa they might have resolved the problems with laptops

Any one know if turbo cache works well with this drivers?

this driver drop my aero score from 4.7 to 4.6

Hi,

Howz this driver on 8600 GT. I have gemstone. How do u load the new driver? Any idea uninstalling using Driver Sweeper?

before using this driver , i overclocked my graphic card with 169.04 , the highest temp was 84 , but now with this one it jumps up to 93 , is it danger ?

Edited by Charles-0100

before using this driver , i overclocked my graphic card with 169.04 , the highest temp was 84 , but now with this one it jumps up to 93 , is it danger ?

You're sure about that having 84+ is in the danger of burning your card. Don't look at nvidia CP saying 90 is max

NO

80 is max

I'm keeping mine below 70 even overclocked.

I burned my card once already having 81 temp. This one is new and I'm setting it to below 70 only.

ByronGman, all the drivers I have tested so far have severe slowdowns whenever the shaders are working, and this applies for most modern games (Dirt, Bioshock, Crysis...). The difference between the 8600M GS and the 8600M GT seems to be the number of unified shaders, which is doubled in the GT.

But even then I don't think it is normal for shaders to work so poorly when running at 800 x 600. It simply makes no sense. The 8600M GS is by no means a bad video card and it should be able to fare better than running choppy on Crysis with everything turned down to low and shaders on medium (demonstrating that it is really the shaders what slow down the game, because with everything on medium-high and shaders low it runs quite smooth on higher resolutions as well).

Yeah I'd have to agree with you there. The amount of hit you take from shaders is pretty insane, especially in Crysis. I ran Bioshock maxed out, so there are some definite software and driver issues.

You're sure about that having 84+ is in the danger of burning your card. Don't look at nvidia CP saying 90 is max

NO

80 is max

I'm keeping mine below 70 even overclocked.

I burned my card once already having 81 temp. This one is new and I'm setting it to below 70 only.

thX , 1 more thing to ask , after this installed driver , the temp jumps up about 10 degrees , is this driver give me the real temp info or the old one ?

Just tested , the temp can jumps up to 79 without overclock , what the heck ???

Edited by Charles-0100

Can you Overclock on these with nTune?

also when you guys are talking about temperatures... are you taling in Celsius or Fareinhiet?

Edited by Garandhero

These drivers work really well for me. the best 169`s I have tried. Aquamark 85000 and 13300 3dmark 03. Yip I know these do not relate to gamepay that much but UT3 runs better than it has for a while!

Lucky peeps with the cool temps, 90 on load here. Laptop cooler needed me thinks but I`m not surprised at high temps in a laptop.

These drivers work really well for me. the best 169`s I have tried. Aquamark 85000 and 13300 3dmark 03. Yip I know these do not relate to gamepay that much but UT3 runs better than it has for a while!

Lucky peeps with the cool temps, 90 on load here. Laptop cooler needed me thinks but I`m not surprised at high temps in a laptop.

I see you got an Asus G1S as well, i got an G1S to and indeed the temperatures of the 8600M GT are HIGH i also get 90°C without overclock, when i overclock i get like 96°C... in this moth (december) i am going to buy a zalman notebook cooler :)

The Asus G1S is a GREAT laptop but the temperatures are to high...

I currently use the 169.21 driver, works good :)

I see you got an Asus G1S as well, i got an G1S to and indeed the temperatures of the 8600M GT are HIGH i also get 90°C without overclock, when i overclock i get like 96°C... in this moth (december) i am going to buy a zalman notebook cooler :)

The Asus G1S is a GREAT laptop but the temperatures are to high...

I currently use the 169.21 driver, works good :P

It is a great laptop, I agree. For the price of a cooler there isn`t any reason to not try one is there? Has to be USB powered for me as I do use it pretty much on my lap, extra power cables I do not need.

What stable settings have you achieved on the o/c? :)

It is a great laptop, I agree. For the price of a cooler there isn`t any reason to not try one is there? Has to be USB powered for me as I do use it pretty much on my lap, extra power cables I do not need.

What stable settings have you achieved on the o/c? :)

On this moment i OCed to 560/777 and it is STABLE.

But i only use OC when playing the newest games like cod4, crysis,...

When i'm playing games like the orange box (hl2, episode1,portal,...) i don't use OC.

BUT again, the temperature is the problem.

The zalman notebook cooler is really good (it's usb powered) and you can git it for like 40 euros (that's around 50 dollar i think )

Ok m8 will try those settings, £30 for me i.e the cooler btw :)

560/777 on 8600GT and it`s stable......my video card it`s a 8600M GS,and im OC to 600/500,(and it`s not stable)thats 560 its GPU core? always memory clock must be greater than GPU core? and someone has 8600 GS with OC? i dont know the best configuration with OC, with 600/500(gpu core/memory clock) i have 2996 in 3D mark 06,but i dont know if it`s danger,i also going to buy a notebook cooler,because i get 90º with Crysis,but im playing good :) .

thanks and sorry for my english,i dont speak it well^^.

oh,169.25 its the best for me ^^ THKS!!!

Edited by Auvi