LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems running BF2 on 8600m GT

Guest rpringle2003

Guest rpringle2003

Hey all

I seem to be having a problem running BF2 or 2142 on my Dell Vostro 1500, the logo will come out, black flicker on the screen, and then the game just crashes with no errors. I've heard that theres a problem with certain widescreen FOV's and BF2? how can I get my laptop to run this game?

specs: Dell Vostro 1500

Intel core 2 duo 1.6

2GB DD2 ram

8600M gt 256mb

windows vista basic

driver 156.69

any advice is welcome

-Ray

Maybe related, I just re-installed bf2 and after an hour of playing i get a Video Driver has stopped responding but succesfully recovered. My FPS goes from 60's to 10 and 11.

im using 169.01.

any advice?

Yeah, this is a widespread problem in general, with all games. I have the same problem when I am playing TF2 or anything from the Orange Box. I created a thread earlier today concerning the same thing, in hopes of finding a cure.

[Thread]

Hey all

I seem to be having a problem running BF2 or 2142 on my Dell Vostro 1500, the logo will come out, black flicker on the screen, and then the game just crashes with no errors. I've heard that theres a problem with certain widescreen FOV's and BF2? how can I get my laptop to run this game?

specs: Dell Vostro 1500

Intel core 2 duo 1.6

2GB DD2 ram

8600M gt 256mb

windows vista basic

driver 156.69

any advice is welcome

-Ray

Ok I see what your saying now... Now I am having the same exact problem... Cant even start the game due to black flicker and crash after i start the program... Any advice?

its a Refresh Rate issue... refresh rate is stuck on 59hertz. should be @ 60hertz... Dell says its not a monitor issue, its a graphics card issue thats gonna be fixed in a driver update..

what do u think. i say thats bs.

Try wif bf2142..game crash... It seems like it having problem wif o/s..not related to hardware.. Anyone here have try it wif winXP? Coz i think its coz the game cant run in vista..

If i'm wrong..correct me plss..

Try wif bf2142..game crash... It seems like it having problem wif o/s..not related to hardware.. Anyone here have try it wif winXP? Coz i think its coz the game cant run in vista..

If i'm wrong..correct me plss..

I dont think its related to Vista because it was working fine on Vista untill the Dell guy replaced my graphics card and LCD screen.. .I think it either has to do with LCD screen not supporting the refresh rate, or the graphics card is on 59 Hertz because the Dell guy said its intentional because they were having issues with 60 Hertz iterfering with WLAN cards or something.

Apparently they are gonna release a driver (god knows when) to fix it.

in the mean time, im gonna have my LCD replaced again just to make sure thats not the problem.. Ill post more details when thats done.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

If you have the same problem as those above (59hz no start issue) try connecting an external screen with 60hz or above in clone mode, then start (it's the only way I got it working)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nickolas t davies

i have found a way to get my dell vostro 1700 to play bf2 finaly, its so easy, i just used a program called reforce.exe not the newer version from their site the old one "reforce.exe" ONLY

you only have to run it once i have alredy posted it in other places but its here any way

Bf2 and 59Hz or less won't start, vista can't force 60Hz

I know BF2 is not a new game but with the mod community thease days they keep thease game interesting.

BF2 with the aix mod is one of the best for me, it will keep you thinking with all the weapons, vhercles and commander assets its areal team game.

but their a are a few problems with the game, my biggest problem has been running it on my laptop which is up to spec but the 1920x1200 @ 59Hz screen which looks amazing but wont allow the game to start.

the problem is down to the way the game is programmed to initialize @ 60Hz 800x600, then the game will use any resolution combination 60hz and above.

but the important part is it must initialize at 60hz 800x600 or it will crash to desktop, with no error message just a flash.

after searching google, after a fair few pages i found a solution.

its easy one simple little program "reforce" is the onl program i have found that can force the refresh rate in vista during scren mode changes,

all that is required to do is set it to force 2 resulotions, one hase to be 800x600 and the other the one you whish to play the game at.

reforce is free and avalible here, http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/download.html

NOTE you must set Reforce to force 60hz on 2 resulotions

1: 800 x 600 or game wont start

2: the resulotion you whish to play on