LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is Temperature accurate? (RivaTuner)

BigJerm

Alright, well, I currently have my 8600M GT 610/515, and when I am playing games like TF2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2, the absolute highest temperature I have seen it hit was 62 degrees. Is RivaTuner giving me an accurate reading, because usually the temp is somewhere around 57-59 whilst playing. This seems pretty low considering the clock speeds. Thanks.

That doesn't seem right, but from my experience with RivaTuner, it is very accurate, seeing as Nvidia Monitor and RivaTuner both show the same temperature for me. Do you have a laptop cooler? Where do you live (could be your environment?)

I do not have a laptop cooler, although I was thinking about purchasing one soon. I live in Newfoundland, Canada. It has a cold climate, but the room I am currently operating the laptop is at room temperature (20). I don't know, is there any other program I could use to check the temperature to make sure it's right? I don't want to overclock more, and end up frying it due to a bad reading.

Yes, download Ntune, and then open up Nvidia Monitor (it should be in your start menu).

Alright, Thanks. I'll do that right now.

Man, I wish I lived in Canada where everything was cooler. My GPU temp. usually runs at 72-74 when I am running high yield games. I have it in an open environment too, so there is nothing I can really do about the temperature.

Apparently the reading is accurate, because I just test nTune and it read the same temperatures as Riva.

Man, I wish I lived in Canada where everything was cooler. My GPU temp. usually runs at 72-74 when I am running high yield games. I have it in an open environment too, so there is nothing I can really do about the temperature.

Yeah, Go Canada. :) But, I am still wondering if it is a normal temp reading. Technically I could overclock it a significant amount more, considering the readings I am getting. It barely hits 60 degrees, while I play Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on high settings.

Yeah, Go Canada. :) But, I am still wondering if it is a normal temp reading. Technically I could overclock it a significant amount more, considering the readings I am getting. It barely hits 60 degrees, while I play Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on high settings.

I would OC it more, you should take advantaged of your **gifted** video card lol. I'm thinking your laptop just has good venting, or is away from the cpu which also attracts and creates heat, but being in Canada and all could also have an effect on your temp.

I too have a notebook with a 8600m GT, a Dell Inspiron 1720.

You'll notice that the GPU temp will not go up that much but the CPU temp will, and this is due to the shared heatpipe with the GPU and CPU so the extra heat the GPU is producing is going straight to the CPU. Monitor your CPU temps before and after GPU overclocking, and notice the difference.

Well it is a proven fact that anything in a cooler area of the world will run much better than if it were in a warmer environment. I just have to watch how much I OC very carefully, or I can end up frying it pretty easily.

I too have a notebook with a 8600m GT, a Dell Inspiron 1720.

You'll notice that the GPU temp will not go up that much but the CPU temp will, and this is due to the shared heatpipe with the GPU and CPU so the extra heat the GPU is producing is going straight to the CPU. Monitor your CPU temps before and after GPU overclocking, and notice the difference.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday when I installed the Core 2 Duo Temp Moniter for Riva. My Core usually heat up to about 65, at most 70 degrees. Is that a resonable temperature, or is that to hot? I just don't want to do any damage. Just today, I got a laptop cooler, so that's helping.

Well the CPU will have a throttle temperature so, if it gets too hot it will basically power itself down to prevent damage, isn't that what the throttle temps are for?

But yeah you should be fine as long as the CPU doesnt go over 80-85c.

Not sure about nMonitor, but with Riva you can monitor everything, including CPU Temp. If you using a multi-core processor you can download a plugin for Riva to read both temps. Also, if you can't find the temp monitor in nMonitor, google "Core Temp".

• 1 month later...

i odn't understand you people :) my 8600m gt always gets over 80 when playing and overclocked (often on crysis maxed to 91^c) :/ and i don't know what to do... maybe a cooler pad ?