LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Important Question About Updating My Asus G1S's 8600M GT Drivers

Guest Undoing Ruin

Guest Undoing Ruin

so, i've had my g1s for a while but i haven't had the opportunity to really test out its gaming capability until the last few days because i am now on my winter break from school. anyway, i have had some major issues with running games and my roommate keeps telling me to update my drivers. i have done a little bit of research and posted some topics at notebookreview and i still haven't really gotten an answer. i have been told i should update using laptopvideo2go.com and that the best driver for me is 169.04. so, i went to the site, followed the tutorial, and downloaded the extraction file to my desktop like it showed me for vista 32-bit. here, already, comes the problem. the tutorial says to double click the "extract" button when you open up the file, as seen here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=11997

however, when i hit the extract button, instead of a folder popping up, about 150 icons like "setup" and "skins" show up about nvidia drivers. i'm sure these are all supposed to be in the folder that is supposed to be made but i'm at a loss and i don't want to mess around w/it too much for fear of screwing something up.

i'm a huge n00b at things like this; my first computer was a shotty dell and this is my first real computer. i have loved it so far but i want to actually game on it when i have a chance but i think my drivers are limited my options here. if someone could please hold my hand through this, detailing exactly what i have to do, it would be MUCH appreciated. from what i've seen, this community is one of the better ones out there and so i'm hopeful you guys will help me out. i want to play bf2 for chrissakes! anyway, thanks in advance!

so, i've had my g1s for a while but i haven't had the opportunity to really test out its gaming capability until the last few days because i am now on my winter break from school. anyway, i have had some major issues with running games and my roommate keeps telling me to update my drivers. i have done a little bit of research and posted some topics at notebookreview and i still haven't really gotten an answer. i have been told i should update using laptopvideo2go.com and that the best driver for me is 169.04. so, i went to the site, followed the tutorial, and downloaded the extraction file to my desktop like it showed me for vista 32-bit. here, already, comes the problem. the tutorial says to double click the "extract" button when you open up the file, as seen here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=11997

however, when i hit the extract button, instead of a folder popping up, about 150 icons like "setup" and "skins" show up about nvidia drivers. i'm sure these are all supposed to be in the folder that is supposed to be made but i'm at a loss and i don't want to mess around w/it too much for fear of screwing something up.

i'm a huge n00b at things like this; my first computer was a shotty dell and this is my first real computer. i have loved it so far but i want to actually game on it when i have a chance but i think my drivers are limited my options here. if someone could please hold my hand through this, detailing exactly what i have to do, it would be MUCH appreciated. from what i've seen, this community is one of the better ones out there and so i'm hopeful you guys will help me out. i want to play bf2 for chrissakes! anyway, thanks in advance!

Hi there

When it asks you to extract to a directory, just point towards your desktop, and just add the name of the folder you want everything to be extracted to, e.g. "C:\Users\David\Desktop\NVIDIA", here "NVIDIA" is the name of the new folder. It will then create the new folder with the name you wrote, with all the installation files inside that folder.

Then run "setup.exe" inside that folder.

By the way I have a dell with 8600M GT, and I'm using 169.25 driver, and its superb. It runs Crysis with settings medium/high well.

Guest Undoing Ruin

thanks so much! it was such a simple issue and i was too simple to detect it lol. anyway, i have just completed updating my drivers and i'm hoping to see even a marginal improvement in performance. and i'm going to try an keep up to date with driver releases so i can get the most bang out of my buck. thanks again and take care!

when you use thos 169.XX drivers does your Hot-Keys or the leads close/open function keeps on working??

i know for fact that the 169.XX are for desktops so my guess is that they wont.

Hi, I do have a G1S too with same set of drivers and have got a big problem with Suspend functionality (either STR or STD) which does not work: eg the display does not light up after Suspend although the system is up. Entering blind key strokes is risky !!! On the other hand Suspend is a pretty essential feature on a notebook...

Does anyone on this forum have a solution and would be nice to share ? Asus support is really poor on this as they claim XP is no more supported. Vista kills the machine does and does bring anything worth the upgrade. Thanks in advance

EDITED: PROBLEM SOLVED WITH DRIVERS 169.28. Sorry for the inconvenience and many thanks for the folks sharing their know-how on this forum. Take Care

Edited by torpedo