LaptopVideo2Go Forums

how far can an 8600m gs go?

wchy

greetings!

i jsut searched the forum but couldn't find an answer my question.

i've an 8600m gs on my asus.

the official nvidia website indicates max clocks for 8600m gs are;

Core: 600

Shader: 1200

Memory: 700

default rates on my cards are

core: 500

shader: 1000

memory: 400

which makes me think my graphics card is underclocked.

i just oc'ed up to

core: 600

shader: 1200

memory: 460

and it seemed ok there.

my questions are; that big difference between my current clocks and official nvidia ones is normal? and anyone tried any oc with this card?, if so, how far can you go?

thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wook

• releasedtruth

• Anchel

• Thomaskc

Hi,

would guess the different clock of your memory is because it is ddr2, not ddr3. It´s all the same with my 8600m gt.

best clock for my mem is 480, but depends on your individual card (some are better than others, may as well be 510)

You could check the kind of your gddr with different tools (atitool, riva tuner, pc wizard, etc.)

Just a guess, hope I could help you. As with the core-clock it seems to b e due to heat?!?, battery life?

Well, perhaps...

Bert

I have the same card and it's underclocked the same way. Is it safe to clock straight to 600 MHz core and 1200 MHz shader? I'm new to having a dedicated graphics card.

I have the 8600M GS in my HP, the default clocks were 500 400 but I've been toying with overclock on the 169.04 drivers. Mine is 256MB DDR2... as told by rivatuner. Anyone know what the are the common best clocks? I have been getting a low 2600 for the current card with about 600-500 clocks... I had it up to 2800 before with the 101.17(i think) drivers with 620 - 520 clocks. What clocks and success have you guys had?

i think;

core: 600 &

shader: 1200

are the max rates and both seems OK to overclock to.

what we should deal is the memory clock.

i successfully went up to 480 mhz a couple days ago. so, maybe we can try 500+

Mine in Benq S41 comes with DDR3.

Core : 648 MHz

Shader : 1296 MHz

Memory : 756 MHz

3D Mark 2006 Score : 3403

I have HP DV9644CA with the 8600M GS 256 DDR2

Stock was 500/400 have stable (Crysis 2 hours) 660/460

Memory seems to be the slowdown, anything over 470 and it crashes, core will crash at over 680

Thankfully RivaTuner has 3 settings for this card, low power, mid and 3d performance so it underclocks for normal use.

Guest arhangel
I have HP DV9644CA with the 8600M GS 256 DDR2

Stock was 500/400 have stable (Crysis 2 hours) 660/460

Memory seems to be the slowdown, anything over 470 and it crashes, core will crash at over 680

Thankfully RivaTuner has 3 settings for this card, low power, mid and 3d performance so it underclocks for normal use.

how did u oc the card i cant it turns back when push apply

arhangel:

To overclock I use RivaTuner with Nvidia 169.04 drivers from LTV2go. Some of the newer drivers do not have OC'ing ability for 8600M GS. I do not know why but only the 169.04 drivers seem to work.

I'm having the same problem. I can only underclock, never overclock. No matter what drivers I may use, no matter what OC application I try, because they just reset back to where they were.

My stock settings were 500/1000/702 and it is an nVidia 8600M GS 256 Mb DDR3

Let's see if somebody can tell us a solution...

Anchel:

Have you tried the 169.04 drivers? If so did you go back from newer drivers? Sometimes going from new to old causes problems, so cleaning out all Nvidia drivers is really important.

The laptop manufacturer is also a factor, what is the model? Perhaps it has been locked? If you can give us some more info on your setup maybe we can find a solution. These 8600m's really OC well so it worth it.

To anyone who has their settings revert to default when they click apply (in any OC program):

1. Find the old, free version of Driver Cleaner Pro (Google it).

2. Uninstall your NVIDIA driver completely and use DCP by its own instructions.

3. Reinstall your drivers.

99% of the time, this will fix your problems. It's a very good habit to do this every time you update/rollback.

I'll try that. Thank you for the answer. I will post any results here.

EDIT:

Ok, so I've just tried using Driver Cleaner Pro and tried fully uninstalling nVidia drivers both from the Control Panel and with Driver Cleaner Pro. Then I rebooted the computer just to find out that the drivers had just reverted to 167.43!!

I couldn't uninstall those from the Control Panel because there was no nVidia software on it, but I tried uninstalling from the Device Manager but to no avail. It would say "uninstallin" and then stop as if it had been uninstalled, but there it was, still in its place. I tried again DCP and it only deleted a registry entry.

And of course, I couldn't overclock...

I just installed 169.28 again and still no overclocking. I'm back again on step one. Anything else I could do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Anchel

I'll try that. Thank you for the answer. I will post any results here.

EDIT:

Ok, so I've just tried using Driver Cleaner Pro and tried fully uninstalling nVidia drivers both from the Control Panel and with Driver Cleaner Pro. Then I rebooted the computer just to find out that the drivers had just reverted to 167.43!!

I couldn't uninstall those from the Control Panel because there was no nVidia software on it, but I tried uninstalling from the Device Manager but to no avail. It would say "uninstallin" and then stop as if it had been uninstalled, but there it was, still in its place. I tried again DCP and it only deleted a registry entry.

And of course, I couldn't overclock...

I just installed 169.28 again and still no overclocking. I'm back again on step one. Anything else I could do?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've had that exact problem before, because I accidentally used XP drivers on my Vista system.

Trying to use an installer will bring an error message, but updating through the device manager will allow you to make this mistake.

If this is the case, just update to any Vista driver (so it can actually be uninstalled), uninstall that one, Driver Clean, then install the correct Vista driver.

Edited by Shugo Wolf

I can assure you I have never used an XP driver in this laptop, because I always use the installer that comes with the driver and it never gave me an error. I think this may have something to do with having Vista SP1, which automatically gets the most compatible graphics driver from Windows Update even if you uninstall everything...

Hi, Im kinda new to this forum, but I wanted to ask if this issue with the 8600M GS had been resolved, im downloading the 169.04 drivers right not, because it seems by reading this thread, that this could fix the issue of the not oc'ing with the card.

BTW I have an hp... I personally didnt buy it, but it seems nice, till i try playing a game....

Also i downloaded the 170XX drivers and they seem to work VERY nicely, yet I could not OC with them.

Anyways, This is a nice forum/site, hope to get to know people around here.

_Agent 87_

I have just tried 169.04 drivers and I finally managed to oveclock!!

In fact, I have been able to reach so far 647/1294/757 and it is stable and stays at 75º maximum when playing Crysis.

My 3DMark '06 score has gone up from 2956 to 3638!!!!

That was mostly unexpected for me!!

But Crysis still could do much better, I'm sure of that.

So the next thing I need to know is if there is some way I can get the rest of the drivers to overclock.

I mean, if some people were able to do it with all drivers even on other laptops, then maybe there is some way to enable that on mine? Mind you that I know not a lot about computers, so I don't know what would be possible and what not.

Too bad Blu Ray playback is not supported with these... but I'm confident there will be some solution someday, both to the OC problem and the Blu Ray playback one.

Thank you for your help so far everyone!

I'm glad your problem was at least somewhat resolved.

For the record, any problems I've had with some driver not OCing has been solved in the past by using Driver Cleaner between installs.

Now that I've gotten in a habit of doing it with every install, I've never had a problem with OCing from 169.25 to the new 171.

Well, as I was told by zac007 in another topic in the Gaming forum, the problem with laptops is that even if OC with one card/driver combo works in one laptop, it doesn't have to work in another.

So it looks like my laptop won't OC with any drivers other than the 169.04 (of the latest drivers I mean). It's a pity though, because they work a bit sluggish for me.

Driver Cleaner Pro did it's work, it cleaned the drivers, but it didn't fix my problem. So even though I appreciate your help (and I now use DCP for every new driver installation) I'm afraid the solution had nothing to do with your suggestion.

I moved from 169.04 to 171.16 and overclocking still works - but when overclocking you must be on AC power.

Hi

I have the Geforce 8600m GS DDR2 version so my stock clocks were 500 1000 400 after installing 169.04 driver i overclocked to 680 1280 480 so far i could say stable.... Either way my cards runs idle at 55 - 57 degrees but if on full load it can easily go up to 82 on stock clocks if overclocked it has reached maximum of 90 ;/ but it might have been just the game (Heroes of might and magic IV) since Crysis runs at 84 after hours of playing ....

I also get a 2954 score in 3Dmark06 but I had a question guys how do u check that the clocks are stable i mean do you use any other external software xcept testing it on games ?

Hi

I have the Geforce 8600m GS DDR2 version so my stock clocks were 500 1000 400 after installing 169.04 driver i overclocked to 680 1280 480 so far i could say stable.... Either way my cards runs idle at 55 - 57 degrees but if on full load it can easily go up to 82 on stock clocks if overclocked it has reached maximum of 90 ;/ but it might have been just the game (Heroes of might and magic IV) since Crysis runs at 84 after hours of playing ....

I also get a 2954 score in 3Dmark06 but I had a question guys how do u check that the clocks are stable i mean do you use any other external software xcept testing it on games ?

I can also get it to run at those speeds (650/520) and i get about the same amount of heat while playing Crysis 84-87 degrees. I havent played for more than an hour because i'm worried how this will affect the card/laptop. What are youre thoughts on this?

I can also get it to run at those speeds (650/520) and i get about the same amount of heat while playing Crysis 84-87 degrees. I havent played for more than an hour because i'm worried how this will affect the card/laptop. What are youre thoughts on this?

I just started overclocking like a week ago and i was reading thru quite a few threads about 8600m gs and the overclocking process... Some people say that their card will not go past 480 memory clock but some can go higher , with the core clock is the same thing and i guess it depends on your laptop and drivers... Im not quite sure about that 100% yet though :)

Anyway i use Rivatuner to overclock, though it is kinda dumb that there is no way to actually test the stability , so i usually use the hardware monitor to measure my temperature ... Which when the card is idle can go as low as 52 but usually sits around 55 - 58 , when i play heavy games on regular clocks it would go up to 85 and if overclock i have seen my card reach up to 100 ;/// Either way on Crysis or Oblivion my card when im overclocked reaches up to 90 degrees ;/ , but the game seems to run without any noticable stuttering due to the excessive heat ...

I also read that latop tepmeratures on GPU's are still ok around 90 degrees and that the treshold temperature is around like 125 !!!!

Im not 100 % sure on that since i could find any officiall sources on that , but so far it has been runing just fine even around 90 degrees ...

Btw does anyone knwo wny good software for testing the stability of the card if overclocked ? (other than nTune ?) ....

I hope it helped a bit Michel

Edited by ^nox