LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce 8600M-GT (Hoffa)

Hoffa

@swordfish

its more of trial and error actually, just do it a little bit at a time, like increasing 10-20 mhz at a time and testing it..

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoffa

• Pelmeshik

• meruyantoro

• nightwolf314

Hey guys.

Been away a while, but back now.

I see a lot of replies to my topic about the 8600 GTS mod.

It is pity to see that it doesnt work for all laptops, replying to pelmeshik.

Make sure u use the newest drivers, now available: 178.13, these are desktop drivers, make sure u use desktop drivers with the mod.

Becouse it becomes a 8600 GTS, not a 8600m GTS.

so that could be the problem. Temps seems the same, the only downside on this mod is that u cant use your sleep mode on the laptop.

Hibernate also doenst work. so it is turn on laptop and turn on. looking at my performance, 800 3dmark06 point above stock, without any overclocking.

replying why this mod improve performance: it handles the drivers better, it (could) unlock extra shaders and pixel pipelines, that are locked.

It is quite vague what this mod does, and i can't find anything about it on the net. But the main thing, it works, and inproves performance.

BTW: this weekend, i've put my laptop on an airconditioner. My cpu was 12 C idle!!! i've managed:

GPU: 680 Mhz

SHADER:1400, its the max of rivatuner :)

Mem:500 Mhz,

With this clocks i get a score of 5056 3dMark06 point at 1280x800.

So thats, uhm, 2000 point above stock! like, wow..

In the near future (week, month) i am going to write a how-to about pushing the 8600m GT/8600 GTS to the max. And use airconditioned cooling.

Any questions? mail : michiel_van_delft@hotmail.com and i'll try to help u out and optimize ur notebook :)

Greetings,

RaZR

• 4 weeks later...

@Dinamo

any driver provided here can work on your laptop, as long as you use the modded inf

i recommend DOX's latest releases. its working great here at my end :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but we just got our internet disconnected because i'm moving and can't download 3DMark06 coz it's too big.. but I can give my performance index and a benchmark used with the Unigine Tropics demo v1.1 (which is free and small)

Dell Vostro 1500 | Core2Duo Centrino at 2.44GHz | Windows Vista Business 32Bit | Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 DDR2 | Driver 7.15.11.7660

At stock settings windows performance index is 4.8 with this driver (up from 4.7 with original) due to windows Aero performance being rated at 4.8 :P . Gaming Graphics was at 5.3 :)

Overclocked (and VERY STABLE?!?) with RivaTuner v2.11

Core: 600MHz, Shader: 1200MHz, Memory: 530MHz

Windows perfomance global is now 5.1 (the only thing holding it there is everything else :P )

Windows Aero Graphics: 5.8(up 10points WOW!!) :rofl:

Gaming graphics 5.4 :)

Benchmark with Tropics Demo: (OpenGL, 1024x768, Windowed, Anitaliasing OFF, Shaders High, anisotropy 4 reflection ON and ambient occlusion off - all other settings unchanged):

14.0 FPS total and score of 354 (stock settings gives 12.1FPS and score of 304)

Temperature of GPU reached 68 degrees C in testing and while left rendering the island for 25min dropped to 66 and stayed constant. CPU core's were both running at 66 degrees C (95-100%). Fans were both 100% for GPU and CPU.

Unclocked GPU temp reached 66 degrees constant in tropics tho so no difference really noticed there. Kept stock settings for low performance grahpics and after finishing the half hour of testing the temp went back to 52 degrees within 3-5minutes.

Temps for playing crysis at all medium settings except high textures and no lag are same for 30min playing. I thought id be getting 70-80 degrees but seems to be fine. Fan must be 100% constant tho. Room temperature is 22 degrees

Sorry about the roundabout benchmarking but if ya wana lift ur windows experience rating go 4 it!! :thumbsup:

Edited by dent

Dell xps 1530 geforce 8600gt ddr3 Processor Intel® Core?2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

drivers 175.16-3dmark06

4738 no overlock

overlocked 550/1201/851---5335

drivers 177.26--4909

overlocked 550/1201/851--6042

overlocked 560/1250/960---6236---lol

Hello there and thank you for this nice thread.

I have a question however.

My notebook is equipped with a 8600m GT SLi 256Mb, would the best drivers in your benchmark also be the best for what I have or is there some kind of SLi specific series?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,ame

I have just got MSI GX600P with GeForce 8600M 512MB DDR2.

Can anyone recomend me the best present driver that is stable?

Maybe 180.70 is the best and stable at this time, i alreday used it for 3 days, and not find any problem with this driver and games is runing faster, but if you want sharper and better 3D image, use DOX 140.44

Did you trie Crysis on this graphic card?

yes, i'm still playing crysis now, and with 180.70 my T7500 2,2 Ghz and 8600MGT i can play with VERY HIGH setting except object, shader, and shadow sett LOW without overclock, but my card is heated easily, after played about 3 hours my card temp getting 92 degree C, make sure you have a cooling pad and not in high ambient temperature

Hello!

My notebook is:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4GHz

INVIDA GeForce 8600M GT @ 512MB DDR2

4096MB RAM.

Winsows Home 32.

Current drivers 180.70

In basic version of 3d mark 06 (free version) using drivers (180.70) with no overclocking I got score 3688.

With the same drivers and the same test (resolution in both 1280*854) with overclocking to 615/475 i got 4453. (max temp. in test is 77C for a secounds. before test is 51C after 55C, when I'm playing it is max 65)

Is it good score and good frequency for my notebook?

I do not want to destory it fast doing overclocking to xxxx/xxxx :)

If someone can tell something about my notebook/scores plase feel free to share it with me! :)

Regards!

Edited by bunia

Thanks again :)

I downloaded 180.70 and nv4_disp.inf and it works great :)

Though I play Crysis whit most settings on medium

how about the temperature after card playing crysis with 180.70? after played about 3 hours my card temp getting 102 degree, without overclock and i've already use NB cooling pad

i don't know is that normal?

Guest vincent

hey guys!

i just got call of duty - world at war, which is really a blast, but after some time playing multiplayer, it crashes.

playing single player works fine!

i am using a nvidia 8600 M GT as well. now my question: do you guys think a driver like the 171.16 will solve this problem?

i'm pretty new to this, but i flipped through the background information i found here.

if i'm not satisfied with the new driver, can i still re-install the original one?

will installing the 171.16 driver for example infringe with the warranty terms for my notebook?

thanks for helping!

how about the temperature after card playing crysis with 180.70? after played about 3 hours my card temp getting 102 degree, without overclock and i've already use NB cooling pad

i don't know is that normal?

102 degree is a lot!!! Mine card goes little above 90 degree,whitout overclock,but I don't have cooling pad.But it shouldn't go above 100 degree.Can someone help!?????

102 degree is a lot!!! Mine card goes little above 90 degree,whitout overclock,but I don't have cooling pad.But it shouldn't go above 100 degree.Can someone help!?????

i'm still don't know why, it's beacause hardware or software problems? if that software problem, perhaps form the VGA drivers itself, maybe it's not compatible or suitable for my card

Now i use 180.70,

dell vostro 1500 t8300 2,4ghz 8600m gt 256mb ddr2 doxs 178.13 OC core 625 mem 523 3dmark06 5116 max temp when playing nfs undercover for 6 hours was 68 degrees celsius and very stable,but powermizer has to be turned off.

dell vostro 1500 t8300 2,4ghz 8600m gt 256mb ddr2 doxs 178.13 OC core 625 mem 523 3dmark06 5116 max temp when playing nfs undercover for 6 hours was 68 degrees celsius and very stable,but powermizer has to be turned off.

did you tried dox 180.70? compared with dox 178.13 what is the best, BTW what degree of your ambient temperature?

did you tried dox 180.70? compared with dox 178.13 what is the best, BTW what degree of your ambient temperature?

i tried dox 180.70 game crashes all the time with or without overclocking,ive tested a lot of drivers and 178.13 is the best so far

i wonder i get so poor results ..

i tested a lot of drivers and the best bench of mark06 was 3.598 with 178.08

but a guy with SAME notebook ( yes the same) got like 3700~

i wonder why he got more.. o.o

if someone knows...

i tested the drivers that ppl recommended but all got lower results than this one..

someone can help me?

and yes i unistall and clear all files o drivers every time i try a new one..

You may have the DDR2 version of the 8600M GT while others have the DDR3 version.

its the same note, same config.. 8600m gt ddr2 512mb 128bits

btw i got a good score now.. like him :)

3690~

with OC how far i can get?

stock are 475/400

i did put to 660/480 with no problem ( more than that i get problems)

whats a nice score for this videoboard? ( on mark06)