LaptopVideo2Go Forums

problem with laptop to tv via hdmi

Chad

I got a Sharp TV, 32" LC32GP3U-B (1080p full). I connected an hdmi cable from my laptop (also 1080p full) to the TV. My laptop screen dropped to Vista Basic theme in 16bit color mode and I can bring it back up to 32bit. Why is that? Inside my Nvidia control panel I was unable to change color depth. I cannot view on the TV display if I use single or clone mode. Everytime I try to set it to single or clone mode, it reverts to laptop display instead. Why?

A strange problem, when configuring Media Center, I chose TV as output. Now the color, contrast, gamma, etc is perfect on the TV itself and Media Center interface. However, when viewing the test videos to adjust the settings, the video is nearly black, dim, yet the interface to Media Center is perfect, so is viewing regular TV mode (w/o hdmi to the laptop) and even when HDMI is plugged in, quality is superb when using programs displayed on the TV. I did choose hdmi as connection type in MC, but why is the video so dim?

Another issue with Media Center is, no tv output at all. During TV signal scan, it says no signal detected. However, cable is connected and my hdmi > hdmi (laptop > tv) is connected as I'm viewing the MC interface on the TV itself.

Another issue again, I have a digital audio cable (TOSLINK / Fiber Optic) which I'm trying to connect from my TV to the speaker system head. The main problem is the wire does not snap in, very difficult to press in. I do see the red light at the end of the cable when I plug the other end in the TV, literally nearly breaking the back board trying to get it to snap in right. Note: I tried 3 different brands of TOSLINK cables on 3-4 different TV's, same issue with getting it to snap in! Why? I also get no sound at all when I set my speaker system to optical in 1, or even 2. I have Logitech 5.1 Digital 5450 speaker system.

Sony VGN-FZ290 laptop w/ HDMI port.

4GB Memory

Nvidia 256MB Dedicated 8400M GT (up to 2560x1200 resolution), fully 1080p capable.

Nvidia Driver: 7.15.11.6743

Vista 64 Ultimate

Logitech Digital 5.1 Z-5450

Edited by Chad

maybe you wanna try 32bit vista... just a thought, and what version of driver you using?

maybe you wanna try 32bit vista... just a thought, and what version of driver you using?

I listed my driver in my first post. Why should I try 32bit? That has nothing to do with this at all.

Would appreciate any help I can get on this :)

Also, anyone know of a possible way to view Blu-Ray on Media Center?

Now the Sharp TV is stuck in 16 bit color even though it says 32 bit in display settings. I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working, I did not change anything at all.

Can someone please help me out here? I even tried various other Nvidia drivers with no available. I switched hdmi cable ends from laptop > TV and vice versa. I tried various inputs on the TV but the issue is clearly within Vista itself.

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:

Image settings = quality

3D = default

Resolution: 1920x1080 / 32bit (even though it displays in 16 bit mode on Sharp)

Scaling = 1920x1080 (native / resolution)

Multiple Displays = dual view

HD format = 1080p

Digital color format = RGB

Edited by Chad

Is the one that displayed on your sharp is a clone of your desktop (so 2 display but only 1 source, 1920x1200x1 resolution) or its an extension of your desktop (so 2 display with 2x resolution, ie 1920x1200x2) ?

- First reason the graphic card has reach its display buffer limit on its RAMDAC, fyi if the VGA card only one 400MHz RAMDAC used it will never be able to reach 1920x1200x32bit x 2 display.

- Even it is not a cloned display it can be due to the bandwidth limitation of HDMI, since HDMI connector as far as i know only able to support up to 1920x1080 lines x 60fps x 24 Bit color and it is not 1920x1200x32 Bit color. DVI connector still carry abit more bandwidth than HDMI (1920x1200x60FPs at 32 Bit color)

- Refer to here for HDMI Specification : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

Hope it help to explain.

Edited by Adix1

I tried clone, single, and same issue.

How on earth did it work one day and not the other?

Can anyone else please help me out on this? I confirmed the same problem with Vista 32bit and 64bit fresh reloads.

• 2 weeks later...

Really would appreciate help here