LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Graphical glitches have started happening?

Guest Mooflay

Guest Mooflay

Halp!

I'm on a Dell 1520 with 2.2gig dual core, 2 gig ram, 8600M GT w/ 256mb graphic memory, and Vista 32bit.

When i first got the laptop (28th dec) it ran games brilliantly, Orange Box, COD4 on high with good (30+FPS), using the latest drivers from this website (169.09)

However, recently (last 2-3 days) it's been giving me strange graphics gliches in *all* games, mainly what i would probably call textures being stretched... like, things extending off into the sky, on objects seemingly at random.

The laptop never crashes, or has crashed, in-game (thought it might do now and i haven't played with these strange glitches in game long enough to find out)

I haven't overclocked

I have virus-checker/firewall etc running (though i don't think its that)

I've tried turning all the settings down to minimum/changing textures, etc, but that doesn't work (and it occurs in both Source games and COD4)

I tried downloading the Nvidia monitor to see if my card was overheating, but strangely the monitor reports no temperature for my GPU (just says 0 degrees constantly, even when playing games etc; monitors CPU/Mem usage and other functions ok, though)

I've tried rolling back drivers to the default, but that doesnt work (Should i try some other available drivers? it ran with the 169.09 ones for a long time, though.)

So, yeah, basically, i have no idea what's wrong. Is my GPU broken? (I have a warranty.)

Thanks in advance,

Mooflay

I don't really know why it doesn't report you temperature in nvidia monitor. I have the same laptop as you, I am using 169.28 with no problems whatsoever. Try installing that driver first. Also you could try downloading rivatuner and see what gpu temperature that reports

Guest Mooflay

Hmm...

Rivatuner is exactly the same. temperature of 0 degrees reported. Other reporting functions are fine.

Do you think the temperature-reading dohickey is broke? would that seriously affect whether my fans are working at the right speed? Should I set my fans to constant 100% when playing games? (if i'm plugged in..) I fear that my fans perhaps aren't cooling because they think i'm running at 0 degrees!

:S

-Mooflay

Mooflay, that sounds like a likely guess. If setting your fan to 100% fixes the problem, you should investigate the missing temperature monitor. It sounds like sensor has failed or the connection has come loose.

Guest Mooflay

Hey guys, update on that;

Managed to get the temp gauge working with new drivers (169.28); and the graphical glitches still occur. Card is working at a cool temp, average by the standards round here, circa 50-60degrees c.

Anything else it could be?