LaptopVideo2Go Forums

M5550 MXM III and HE?

Guest Meins

Is the MXM III of an alienware m5550 compatible with any mxm HE card from maybe clevo? Just curios what mxm HE means

I've rad mxm upgrade page, from size it should fit but from powerdraw and thermal design :)

MXM IIIshould be inside m5550 but i will check it and then look for a card my current one is a 7600 Go and way too weak

If it fits then only powerdraw and temp would be a problem?

Cheers Meins

Is the MXM III of an alienware m5550 compatible with any mxm HE card from maybe clevo? Just curios what mxm HE means

I've rad mxm upgrade page, from size it should fit but from powerdraw and thermal design :)

MXM IIIshould be inside m5550 but i will check it and then look for a card my current one is a 7600 Go and way too weak

Cheers Meins

HE cards don't fit in Amilos and series 8 cards don't seem to work in series 6 or 7 notebooks.

• 5 months later...
Guest lolzor

Cheers Meins

Hey i was doing a lil research to see if my Alienware Area-51 m5550 was a mxm2 or mxm3. I called alienware too see and they said mxm2, i also asked waht cards were available for me and he said the GeForce Go 7600, Radeon x1400, Radeon x1800, GeForce 7800.... I dont think he knows what hes talking about cause x1800 is definately mxm3... Also i was looking on mxm-upgrade.com and they give a list of laptops and what their mxm is and they said i was a mxm3.... so i'm really confused now, can somebody plz help me? Also what would be a good up grade for me right now? Thank you

Ok, the M5550 is a type 3 mxm.

It can take an ati x1400, x1800, x1900, go6600,go7600, and some one has told me it will take an 8600 gs. These are the only ones that I know about but Icetea would know better than I. This is just what I could find on the net.

But also remember that there might be some little mods you may do to make the higher end cards work properly.

I will be putting an x1800 into my m5550 that I got from a friend for cheap.

Thanks

Edited by vanguard