LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NO VIDEO PLAYBACK, HELP !

Guest Atomus_Bane

Guest Atomus_Bane

I have been trying for 4 days straight to troubleshoot the lack of video when I use any video playback software with hardware acceleration enable; turn it off and all is good. I tried installing as many of the drivers I could from this site but none, even with the enhanced INF, would fix the video playback issue. I have run out of ideas except for a complete format and reinstall of the entire system. I do not want to reinstall the system because I am using an Asus G1S-X1 notebook with Windows XP Pro SP2 and it was built to support Vista; BOO vista! I primarily use PowerDVD to watch my DVDs and it was working just fine but recently it stopped playing back the video and just played sound. The most recent change to the system would be streaming video from the internet and the installation of Warcraft 3. Does anyone have any other suggestions that worked for them?

What graphics card do you?

What drivers have you tried?

Power DVD version? HD DVD/blu ray disks?

Power DVD is very buggy, sometimes it doesn't want to work for me. (at least with HD DVDs)

In SLI it won't go full screen on battery cause it can't pull enough juice, lol.

Maybe you should try XP 32bit.

Asus G1S:

Intel Core 2 Dou T7300 2.0Ghz

Geforce 8600m GT 256mb

2Gb DDR2 memory

160Gb SATA HDD

Realtek HD Audio

Realtek WI-Lan

Bluetooth

monitor = 1680x1050 60hz

my hardware device manager shows that I have 3 default monitors and one "plug and play" but I only use my notebook LCD. The display settings show multiple monitors and even allows me to select monitor 2 but blinks and returns to default. I tried the following drivers with and without enhancer or manually changing the VMR settings for overlay in the INF: 163.75, 163.71, 163.51, 163.67, 165.01. I used mostly the 163.xx because I had them running at first but now they dont work.

I cannot get windows media player to playback video, just sound, and PowerDVD 6 only works with hardware acceleration off; also VLC player works with overlay on but cannot scale video or motion detect. I did find an update for PowerDVD 6 and installed it but no change. I installed windows media player 9, 10, and currently have 11. I also downloaded codecs from microsoft.

I forgot to mention that I have tried to uninstall the monitors and deleted registry entries for them but they come back every time. I did plug my laptop into 3 different monitors and used them to extend desktop temporarily. I also went so far as to remove all traces of nvidia on my system before installing the new drivers but no change. When I play video in PowerDVD 6 or Windows Media Player the window is black except for a menu cursor which has little or no color.

I think you've identified your problem. Those two external monitors are installed to let you immediately hook to either a digital or analog external monitor without having to go through an installstion process. Unfortunately, your video driver is defaulting to one of the multi-monitor modes and that's where your video signal is going.

To fix it, go into the nvidia control panel, click on "Set up multiple displays" and choose "Use only one display." Be sure to choose your onboard display as the one you want to use. You may need to reboot afterwards.

If it still fails, go into "Manage 3D settings" (in the nvidia control panel) and under "Multi display/mixed GPU accleration" choose "Single display performance mode."

Let us know if that doesn't solve it.

I had check already the nvidia control panel but tried again just in case and found that the "setup multiple monitors" options were set to single display and had listed my laptop display as the primary. I tried using the manage 3D settings and select single display performance but no change. I never seen device hardware list so many monitors. Usually it just lists the hardware while your using it then removes it; i think. I could try hooking up another monitor and flip back and forth to see if the hardware will reset some setting somewhere to default. Any other suggestions?

I think your best bet is to uninstall your video driver in the Windows Control Panel and reinstall it from scratch. If that fails, try a different driver version to see if it's just a compatibility problem with that particular driver.