LaptopVideo2Go Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tvone2

Acer Aspire 5520-7416 MXM II 8600GT?

dayamos
I am running TypeII card now..no problem.

I had no post problems to speak of.. I did have some errors before it posted though..(check my thread 5520 upgrades)

I went ASUS>ACER..

Felix is trying LG>ACER..

We need more information..

The 5520 is a 15 incher, just like the 5920G with the stock 8600M GT. Maybe they have the same mobo configuration (MXM II ready), that's why the Asus card worked.

Our notebook, the 4520G, only has a 14" screen. There's a possibility that the 5520 and the 4520G's mobo configs are not the same (MXM 1 only on the 4520G).

Anyway, I hope reiluke can pull it off, so I can upgrade my GPU as well. Good luck bro :)

Edited by dayamos

Felix_1990

heh,i also wish luck to Reiluke with 4520G.And as for me,i hope LG will work good as Asus :)

post-21319-1203792568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Felix_1990

reiluke

@muppet

muppet i dont need the backup bios, the batch file is copied from notebookdotcom, first line is to check if it did boot on the

flash drive, but no output files were created. when i run the laptop with the 8400G, the laptop did boot in the flash drive successfully with the output files(removed the flash option in the batch so it did not flash)

@tvone2

yes, i checked it

@kinsky

yes i already tried creating a bootable cd from nero with autoxec batch file, it just keep on restarting every 8sec

@Felix_1990

you situation is diff and would be easy to fix, as your laptop post and boots

-

this would be pretty easy if the laptop would post, but it did not,i even left it overnight with laptop coolpad on so it will not overheat.it will just keep

restarting every 8sec, i tried again turning it on without any card installed, same symptoms if the 8600GT, keeps restarting every 8sec. laptop assumes that

no card was installed,

"maybe"

-the bios for 4520G it set not to post without an acer card but i cannot confirm this until i have it flashed to acer bios

-mxm type 1 will only read type 1 and not type II (no errors whatsoever, just as though its not there), 8400GT would be the last "best" card on the market but i cant find any 8400GT for c90s online

for crisis recovery option(hold fn+esc then power) no laptop display but it will read the usb and cddrive, doesnt matter if i have the 8400 installed or 8600, found in google that it executes phflash.exe "bios", maybe i can use this to flash the card, renaming nvflash to phflash.exe

Felix_1990

Latest news...

Test results :)

LG video don't work with Acer 5520!Card burned after ~15 boots(even when you in bios,laptop turn off,i think it search hardware and then it turn off cause off card)....With new card i got black sceen when turn on laptop,with old card all good :P Heh,so i think i will change it to 5920 laptop :)

reiluke

what do you mean card burned?

Felix_1990

I mean when i turn on laptop i see just black screen and thats all..So card is burned..

tvone2

card could still have life...

flash could have gone wrong...

could be alive with no display..

It might be possible to flash again with no display....difficult...

worth a try though...

reiluke

felix, what bios did you exactly use? i found an acer 8600M GS bios include for your laptop model

bios

extract it, acer even included nvflash in the package so as batch file with

nvflash.exe 510033.rom -4 -5 -6 -A < Y.txt

hmm

Felix_1990

Card is GT,not GS

reiluke

a bump for this thread

heres what i tried out

* flashed my bios to latest .v3626, did not work, i could flash it with 5520G bios, i doubt it will post though

* I tried hot swap method did not work(dangerous but i took the risk), once i take out the card, the system still works with a blank screen, plugged in the 8600GT and type flash.bat, beeps twice, output text file is (nvflash could not find any pcie card)

* ran mxm test tool in dos mode

- MXM Compatibility Checker -

-----------------------------

=> Returned: 005F.0020.0003.0000

=> MXM capatible.

=> Version: 0.0

have not found someone to flash my card yet

Robin4

Where did you guys buy that 8600m GT graphics card? And in what ACER aspire notebooks will this change work?

reiluke

card part number i have is 90C1CIZ5JXBN00Z you can google it and find many online stores selling it, this card is for c90s

it has been reportedly worked on 5520G and 7720G

Kinsky

Acer 4520G is definietly MXM-I and not MXM-II.So that's the reason why you can't get your GF 8600M GT worked.

Guest Guest

I don't know about you, but it seems there's a leak on a new 18" aspire series 8920 with the option of having a 9500m GS in it or a 9650m GS(!). And I'm almost sure these would be mxm 2 modules. Vbios? check. Now it's only about acquiring the mxm GPUs

Guest Guest

On second thought, I think the GPUs can be acquired rather easily, Asus wouldn't be leaving c90 hanging like that would they? I think they'll make 9650m or 9600m or whatever. Point is, I'll be buying the best and exchanging it with this stupid 8600m, Since, there's a 9650m in aspire series, there's definitely more 9 series of it, the VBIOS wouldn't be a problem now. Here's hoping for a modded 5920g with superior GPUs

reiluke
card part number i have is 90C1CIZ5JXBN00Z you can google it and find many online stores selling it, this card is for c90s

it has been reportedly worked on 5520G and 7720G

note entirely true, i found links from chinese forum that they upgraded acer 4520G to 2600xt and 8600GS/GT, but the card they bought is with acer bios already not from c90s, they have a shop their taobao.com that offers mxm cards

heres the translated pages, im not chinese, anybody chinese here?

link1

link2

link3

link4

chinese are more uptodate with mxm technology (they make them?)

reiluke

china also has 4520G 8600M GT version acer china, i have not sent the card yet, maybe i can make it work

tvone2

reiluke,

Any chance you would send me the card to flash and test for you???

I am not here to rob anyone!

try to help you any way I can.. PM me.

Tony

reiluke

@tvone2

you got pm, thanks very much for the offer

-

well i have registered and asked around, someone kind enough to reply and said that 8600M GS is ok for him, he said that the card is already in acer bios so no flashing was required

he also said that they did successfully install 8600M GT but temp was too high so they opted for GS, discussion here

link

reiluke

Guest Jim Payne

Hey guys...

First I want to thank each one of you for your inspiration; without stumbling onto this thread I never would have even tried some of the things I have.

I have a 7720 with a 8400M GS in it. Like A Civilized Man, I want to upgrade my video to an 8600M GT.

I have aquired the ASUS 512MB version and when I plug it into my laptop I get the exact same problem that ACM had when he plugged it in: namely the laptop beeps, then the card does it's 30-second beep thing and then nothing.

So I am assuming that I need to flash the BIOS of the card.

I went to the techpowerup site and downloaded two BIOS files. The first one is the same one others have used - the newer one is ony about a week or so older and has a bios date about 3 months newer than the first one.

Interestingly enough, both of these files download with a 'BIN' extention. But nvflash requires the 'ROM' extention. Am I ok with a simple rename?

I've downloaded the nvflash program from this thread as well.

I've made a bootable CD which I have verified on another computer. It boots up and automatically runs the nvflash program as below:

'nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y acer.rom'

The problem is that it apparently isn't flashing when booted on the laptop. The cd light comes on and then the laptop sits forever without rebooting.

When I boot with that cd on a laptop with an ati chipset; it boots fine and goes all the way through until nvflash fails; complaining that there is no nvidia card to flash (this is how I made sure the cd at least boots and run the nvflash program)

So what I need to know is f anyone has any idea what problems I may be having.

I'm using a cd rom because I can't seem to get either of my USB keys to boot properly using the HP software (most likely since one key is 8GB and the other is SDHC).

Any thoughts?

Guest Jim Payne

Oh yeah, my 8600M is identical to the one in the photos above (all part numbers, etc). Only my date and serial numbe ris different.

tvone2

hello,

the ati chipset thing???

can you make a DOS bootdisk???

yes rename the bios..

sounds like you are real close..

Guest Jim Payne

The ATI chipset is on a second laptop that I used to make sure that the boot CD worked (I expected it to error out when it tried to flash, but I wanted to make sure it at least got that far).

Can't make a boot disk because I do not have a floppy drive....

muppet

Hey Jim

Getting rid of the low hanging stuff first:

1)What version of nvflash are you using? (what it's worth, I used 5.57). The reason I note this is that there is a reference online to using only nvflash 5.31 for fully automated flashes (with a note that "this version will only support 7 series gpu's and below") - however 5.57 has those features documented also and we have proven that it supports 8 series GPUs.

2)The BIOS might be locked/readonly for some reason on your ASUS card - you might want to try :

nvflash -r

before the main nvflash. If this causes a reboot (as does backing up), remove it from your batch file...

3)Re the .rom extension - nvflash does need the rom extension or seems to error otherwise, however I think you've already noted this and renamed looking at the command line you list.

4)At this point it gets a bit tricky without being able to pipe the output of the nvflash due to the CD - however we need to see if it's erroring-out, hanging or not loading.

Could you maybe put in a few lines of echo CTRL-G (makes the system beep) in the batch file:

echo

I guess it could get hard to differentiate these from the countdown beeps - so you might need to make it plainly obvious by putting in say 100 of them :) and try 2 CDs with different autoexec.bat - one with the instructions after nvflash executes (likely an error case if it gets to these beeps and doesn't reboot) and before (proves it's booting at least). Also give it a good 5 minutes before considering it hung... the flash takes quite a while.

You may also want to try adding the -! command to nvflash to cause it to beep as it updates.

5)Just to be sure - can you confirm you copied cwsdpmi.exe as well as nvflash.exe and your .rom to the same location on the CD? (the ATI example might not be a full harness in that it doesn't actually go through the flash).