LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v171.16 VISTA 32bit |

mobilenvidia

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

This driver is sucks if you are using SLi config.

3Dmark06 score is at its highest, but in real game... SLi barely works. There are places where SLi works normally, but when the graphic becomes more intense... it seems that only one graphic card is working, cutting the frame rates inn HALF.

Tested in games:

Call of Duty: 4

World of Warcraft

2moons

Hellgate: London

System: Dell M1730 dual GeFrorce 8700M GT SLi

Going back to 169.28....

Edited by Wind!crap

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whitetigerx7

• Anchel

• zipper

• ffantasy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This driver gives me a lot of stuttering in Eve Online and a lower average framerate. The FPS graph looks like a sine wave. Haven't tried it out in crysis yet.

A lot better performance over 169.28 in Aero and also FSX.

Some wierd artifacts appear in FSX, so seems some room for improvement left (guess that applies to any Nvidia driver :) ).

On installing on a dual screen my external screen when blank and the internal laptop screen (closed) was the only display). Confusing, but after reboot all was OK.

Does seem to run at higher temperatures...

DickS

Guest Ed_Oscuro
wow, well these a bugged up.

when my laptop lid is closed, the driver keeps enabling and disabling its self.

How can you tell what the driver's doing while your laptop's screen is closed?

Why would you want to deactivate Powermizer??

If you don't want Powermizer to be on, then just switch to a "high ussage" profile on Vista and Powermizer will be turned off by default.

Guest Anthony

to desactivate Powermizer all the time you must have to modify the NV_DISP2.INF file like this:

there is this section:

;Powermizer settings

HKR,, PowerMizerDefault, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerSaverHsyncOn, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableCoreSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableMClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableNVClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

you must change

by

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 0

and install the drivers with this new NV_DISP2.INF file

:)

Actually the first four or five tweaks on that list are all that is needed for most laptops.

The last three are for MXM cards or Modularized cards that have special fan systems.

Has anyone successfully OC'ed using these drivers. I'm currently using the 169.04 driver set. I wasn't able to OC using any of the newer ones. I've got the T7500 with the 8400m GS

I updated to these from 169.28. Whatever they did with these drivers worked for my laptop. No bugs thus far and I can now finally play Bioshock at a good framerate with all options turned on.

Hmmm... print screen works fine for me. Seems like they really screwed things up for some people, and fixed things for others. The usual, I suppose. Hmph.

to desactivate Powermizer all the time you must have to modify the NV_DISP2.INF file like this:

there is this section:

;Powermizer settings

HKR,, PowerMizerDefault, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerSaverHsyncOn, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableCoreSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableMClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableNVClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

you must change

by

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 0

and install the drivers with this new NV_DISP2.INF file

Thanx :)

this driver is crap for me, nothing can beat the 167.45 drivers <<<<< they are excellent

Nice drivers for me... even though with a few bugs... especially some glitches every now and then while playing or watching films... they're very rare however.

I think I'll keep them. :)

this driver is crap for me, nothing can beat the 167.45 drivers <<<<< they are excellent

Yup, have to agree. The Dell released 167.45 drivers are fast and above all else stable. I've played them on Call of Duty 4 and on Crysis with no problems. I think I'll pass on this one....

Guest Anthony

I have a DELL XPS M1710 (T7200, Geforce Go 7950 GTX) and I have change 167.45 DELL's drivers for those 171.16 and in CRYSIS before to the last level with aliens it was unplayable (10 fps) and now it's very playable (25 fps).

Has anyone successfully Overclocked the 8400m GS using these drivers. the only drivers that I know I can OC' Is the 169.04 anyone test these yet?

Overclocking works on all drivers and models. You have to use nTune to Overclock however.

Whitetigerx7, I would be really interested in learning how to overclock these drivers. My personal experience from yesterday shows that not all card variants (such as the ones for Sony laptops, HP laptops, Dell...) allow overclocking with all drivers (I've been trying to OC my card since November and yesterday I finally managed to do it altough only with drivers 169.04, which aren't the best working ones for me).

nTune (latest beta version) only resets back the sliders as soon as I click APPLY with these drivers.

But if you are really sure that all drivers and models should be able to OC, then I would like to ask for help from you.

By the way, I have this weird problem with nTune: I am unable to uninstall it. When I click on uninstall from the Control Panel in Vista it just starts the uninstaller and then closes before uninstalling, so the application is still in my computer. Maybe for some reason the beta version is not installing correctly because of this either?

These drivers work perfectly for me so far, thank you so much! I have a Toshiba Satellite X200 laptop with dual 256MB 8600M GT (SLI) and 4GB system RAM. The Toshiba-certified drivers were ancient so I upgraded with drivers from this site. I chose 169.25 first as it was recommended by many. Performance was otherwise good (6806 marks with 3DMark06), but the mouse pointer was laggy as hell in all 3D games and it was affecting general graphics performance as well (problem with hardware cursor if I'm not mistaken, as disabling it helped). Then I updated to these 171.16 drivers, performance was almost unchanged (6850 marks) but the cursor problem disappeared completely and now all games (that I tried so far, fingers crossed..) run smoother than anything I've ever seen :) So thank you very much to the community for this site and the drivers! And no thanks at all to Toshiba and other laptop manufacturers for making driver updating so difficult, took me two days to get the system running as it should...