LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v171.16 VISTA 32bit |

mobilenvidia

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

I've already updated my HP/Compaq/VoodooPC INF to this version after exceptional testing and great reviews. Normally I don't recommend BETAs this much but this release is beyond anything NVidia has offered. I haven't seen this level of performance boosting in a long time. These are HIGHLY optimized drivers even for BETAs, and normally BETA and even ALPHA class drivers don't have this level of optimizations. This level of optimization is on par with Release Candidate and even Official Release drivers... maybe even farther and say a high plausibility of being experimental ultra-high performance drivers. If they are a type like that Nvidia's software lab literally knuckled down on these for a good reason along with the 173.16s which probably came from the same source tree with a different level of optimizations.

I'm theorizing that these types of optimizations went into them:

Massive level of coding, far beyond the normal levels, of x86/x64 level assembly language reaching near 95% to 99% of the entire code base. My guess off a long shot is the 173.16s (or it may be these 171.16s) were developed under C/C++ language for a comparison study against a different coding language comparison study.

Full utilization of known and present SIMD instruction sets to give high levels of advanced dynamic calculations between the CPU, PPU (if offered in the system), and GPU/VPU. This would give more levels of offloads where needed between all utilized processors in a system and give far greater performance of a system.

If there ever was a driver I'd recommend to any Nvidia card user, this is one of my most recent releases I would push to recommend.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whitetigerx7

• Anchel

• zipper

• ffantasy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are DX10 drivers. DX9 is crap.

ok.. sry for sounding like a noob :)

installed this driver, and ntune 6 beta, and the overclocking page is missing in ntune. any ideas?

thx

Alright after a bit more testing a few more games and such the only real bug I have found is with Hell Gate London the whole game seems to not only lag after playing ti for a extended (keyword here people) not right away but after a few hours of playing the game will lag like hell, no pun intended :) .If you do play hellgate and you are reading this the only way to fix this lag is a quick restart of your machine as for some odd reason even after exiting hellgate any game you play after that will lag like no tomorrow you will be lucky to even get 15 frames p/s.

No idea if this applies to any other card (as I only have a 8600 gt on me at this moment but ill try this out with a 8700 and a dual 8700 configuration later on. (unless some other people beat me to the punch *wink wink* saves me time >.>)

Other then that the driver as I stated before is stable and there have been no other errors I have come across ill post back if I find anything else I guess. (and yeah ill make an account here because well I come here enough and figure maybe its high time to insert my opinions.).

These are DX10 drivers. DX9 is crap.

Actually there is no real difference between DX9 and DX10 except DX10 is a kernel level API with High Level Shading Language and is for Vista only with a compatibility layer for DX9 called DX9Ex.

You can even get DX10 games to play on DX9 limited WinXP with a small patch consisting of a few libraries of DX10 just for the specific extensions.

In words of Edgar Allan Poe, "Tis all there is and nothing more" at least to DX10 anyway.

Guest wonnage

wow, this driver is great and all but I just have to comment on this post:

I've already updated my HP/Compaq/VoodooPC INF to this version after exceptional testing and great reviews. Normally I don't recommend BETAs this much but this release is beyond anything NVidia has offered. I haven't seen this level of performance boosting in a long time. These are HIGHLY optimized drivers even for BETAs, and normally BETA and even ALPHA class drivers don't have this level of optimizations. This level of optimization is on par with Release Candidate and even Official Release drivers... maybe even farther and say a high plausibility of being experimental ultra-high performance drivers. If they are a type like that Nvidia's software lab literally knuckled down on these for a good reason along with the 173.16s which probably came from the same source tree with a different level of optimizations.

Beta and alpha refer to stages in testing, there's no such thing as a beta "class". Calm down, dude. RC and official releases are the same - again just different stages in testing. RC is really a useless term, since by definition the beta is a release candidate...but that can wait for another day.

I'm theorizing that these types of optimizations went into them:

Massive level of coding, far beyond the normal levels, of x86/x64 level assembly language reaching near 95% to 99% of the entire code base. My guess off a long shot is the 173.16s (or it may be these 171.16s) were developed under C/C++ language for a comparison study against a different coding language comparison study.

This makes absolutely no sense. "massive level of coding"? IT'S OVER 9000!! Believe me, coding a modern graphics driver in pure assembly is not something you'd do to improve performance. And the drivers are and have always been programmed in C, as it's pretty much the only language for doing this sort of thing. You also don't rewrite an entire graphics driver for a comparison study.

Full utilization of known and present SIMD instruction sets to give high levels of advanced dynamic calculations between the CPU, PPU (if offered in the system), and GPU/VPU. This would give more levels of offloads where needed between all utilized processors in a system and give far greater performance of a system.

I know you were trying to come across as knowledgeable but there's no sense in dropping catchphrases like that. "Full utilization of known and present SIMD instruction sets"? "advanced dynamic calculations"? Yes...as opposed to the "unknown and non-present" ones, and "simple static calculations"? And you even mention the PPU which I'll assume refers to the (overpriced, hilariously worthless) physics cards popping up. How that has any relation to a graphics driver is beyond me...

Just tested on a T7500, 8600GT.

Slight improvement in 3DMark06 score (4315 > 4345) slightly overclocked, but with this driver I'm running about 7-8 degrees hotter at rest. Usually at about 41 - 43, with this driver between 49 - 51.

I'm going to roll back, don't really like the extra heat!

After a couple of restarts overclocking is now gone. Odd.

Correction - gone just with battery power as somebody has mentioned earlier.

I tried these drives, Aero seemed to be very smooth with them. However, especially when using Firefox, and when running multiple File Explorers, the drivers would stop responding, and at one point the whole screen went completely fuzzy and then shut off, just o recover again. I went back with 169.28. If these coud become more stable, I can see some real potential.

Tried this driver and I must say, this is the best driver out there for Geforce Go 7900GS...finally i get to run games with a performance as in XP...thanx :)

Sorry, forgott the text...

i have the same issues. Driver don't respond sometimes and i had some crashes. Performace is very good and better than 169.28 but is not stable like the old one. Going back to 169.28

will try these as soon as possible...running on 169.25 as of the moment...have to rerun my 3dmark06 to both of these drivers again for comparison.

btw,just a noob question....what appz do u use guys and how'd u get good scores on your lappies?i only use rivatuner for OC'ng.

To get the best scores you need to turn off quality settings and/or set everything to application controlled settings and turn on all optimizations that increase speeds.

To tweak my computer I only use nTune (6.0-Beta) and nHancer (2.3.2) as of now. I stopped using RivaTuner due to the fact under Vista it no longer offered Direct3D and OpenGL tweaking and was only a redundancy to nTune as it only now could serve to overclock the graphics card. I did for a time use NvTray/NvTweak but it didn't react well with some of my system and on some occasions it doesn't work right.

Nice aero performance.

O/C works fine

Powermizer OK

More heat on my go7700 (80°C vs. 75°C (167.58) during 30dmark06)

Digital vibrance bugs

Bugs when closing windows lateral panel, and on desktop after unplugging a second sreen.

Aquamark score is very nice

3D mark 06 score is definitely worst than 167.58 (100 pts lost)

I return to previous driver.

I have a question:

After a driver installation, all my desktop icons are upside-down: is it something to do?

Edited by AlexasusG1

i cannot understand ta how it can be !!! why doesn't it work as yours? but on the official website 8700m gt score is 4600 , do you have any idea about it?

I don't know....maybe is a driver problem, with the original driver my score was around 4500, then I try this driver created by brxace=

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16847 (becouse I have some problem of BSOD with the modded INF) and new score is 5042!!! :)

try this driver, maybe you can solve this problem....Tell me if you try it and if you see any improvement....

In my pc no problem and excellent performance. Good Work, Ep2 gain 5 fps in average frame rate.

I am on a FZ21M.

I installed it ... nVidia "SpeedStep" seems to work now, which means it reduces speed to something 160 clocks or so and my fan soudns less anyoing.

BUT:

Every few minutes/hours my CPU Usage goes up to 100% my screen turns black less than a second and windows makes a "blob" sound. Then usage goes down to 0% and again up to 100%, screen black and "blob" and back to 0%.

I dont know what causes this "double black blob" but they only started after installing this new drivers.

I don't know....maybe is a driver problem, with the original driver my score was around 4500, then I try this driver created by brxace=

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16847 (becouse I have some problem of BSOD with the modded INF) and new score is 5042!!! :)

try this driver, maybe you can solve this problem....Tell me if you try it and if you see any improvement....

i tried it and igot 4657 :) i returned 171.16

i get a 20/30 decrease in 3dmark06 (4925 in 1280*854 and 4960 with the 167.58)

+3/4 fps in crysis in dx10 mode: the first driver that give me a fps increase in crysis!!!!

seems to work very fine in the other game

but 3dsmax8 is very unstable with this driver...

So I'm guessing that those of us stuck on dx 9.0c cards should not use this driver?

oh and...

wow, this driver is great and all but I just have to comment on this post:

<smackdown aplenty>

Q.F.T.

Guest googler

Just wondering if it is worth updating it now from 169.09, or should I just wait till the non-beta ones come out. I mainly play Call of Duty 4 and sometimes Age of Empires 3.

And what type of performance gain can I expect? Thanks

I have a T5250 processor, 2 gigs ram, 8600M GS graphics.

I am on a FZ21M.

I installed it ... nVidia "SpeedStep" seems to work now, which means it reduces speed to something 160 clocks or so and my fan soudns less anyoing.

Actually the nVidia technology you mention is Powermizer. SpeedStep is a similar technology used by Intel in their processors. You can check so in the little black and blue sticker in your Vaio next to the touchpad. It mentions the Intel SpeedStep technology.

Sorry for the correction, it's just to avoid people getting confused.

Guest Anthony

The new drivers version aren't create to have the best score in 3DMark 2006, but to boost the frames in some games, and The Score in 3DMark we don't care !!!

those 171.16 drivers are especially create by NVIDIA to CRYSIS and his new patch 1.1 and just for that !!!

When you have patch the game this is the best drivers for this game