LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Display turned black and white after updating driver

lwin

I had problems playing Final Fantasy X1 on my Laptop with extremely laggy graphics - Acer Aspire 5920G.

Graphic card is Geforce 8600M GT.

The driver version I used to update was 196.13.

After following the steps of replacing the inf file etc, my display turned black and white and I had to roll back the driver.

I tried looking for driver updates for 8600M GT but all I found were 8600 GT so I assumed the 2 were the same, or are they not?

I'm not savvy with these things and its stressing me out :)

never heard of 196.13 driver latest is 171.16, uninstall your driver from control panel and install the 169.28 (you can get it from the forums). Read the faq on how to install the driver. the 169.28 seems to be working well for everyone.

never heard of 196.13 driver latest is 171.16, uninstall your driver from control panel and install the 169.28 (you can get it from the forums). Read the faq on how to install the driver. the 169.28 seems to be working well for everyone.

Oops sorry, its 169.13 not 196...

Did the problem arise because I did not uninstall my previous driver?

It could be, you must uninstall your old driver and reboot windows before installing a new one. I recommend 169.28. You might also need to download driver sweeper from the internet and after unistalling your driver from control panel in windows, reboot in safe mode. Run driver cleaner and remove nvidia display driver. Then restart normally in windows and install the new driver. This is to ensure you have no stray unwanted driver files which may cause conflict lying around.