LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Running multiple cards on XP x64 (legacy and modern)

resuDaed

I have a 64bit system running Windows XP Pro x64 (SP2). I have two graphics cards. Primarily a PCI-E GeForce 8500GT (1024MB), but also an old PCI GeForce 2 MX400 (64MB) running general desktop stuff on a second screen. A strange mix, but I didn't see any point in buying a second highish performance card for its intended use. Windows is trying to use the standard pci graphics driver which would be fine except it really struggles on high resolutions (1600x1200) or is that me expecting a little too much from a card this old?

My first problem is fairly obivous, NVidia don't provide legacy drivers for x64, so a quick google landed me here.

After following the instructions attempting to install "v84.25 XP 64bit" I got an error message saying that the driver was not written for XP. I already have NVidias latest drivers installed for the better card, I just need drivers for the older one. Was this the right driver to choose?

Also not quite so related, on reboot my primary monitor drops its resolution back down to 800x600 everytime as opposed to the 1440x900, more of an annoyance than a real concern. Any ideas?

Thanks