LaptopVideo2Go Forums

M9700 SLI display goes blank during driver installation

fatfarmowl

OK whenever I try and install drivers I download from this site it goes all through the install fine except with it tries to install the second video card. After it installs the second video card the display goes blank and I have to hard reboot and then go into safe mode to uninstall the video card drivers. Now when I just update the old video card drivers without uninstalling them...it works, but I know that just updating video card drivers like that without uninstalling the old ones first leaves alot of old files and could cause alot of conflict. I did try that workaround that has been out for a while, install it, stop the install on the second card, restar,t then install manually but no worky. Any ideas?

M9700

2x GeForce 7900 GS SLI

2x1GIG of Ram

2x100 GB RAID 0

AMD Turion ML44 2.4ghz

WinXP Pro + SP1 + latest updates

Edited by fatfarmowl

You can try installing the drivers several ways. If you do manage to get this to work, please don't leave us hanging and let us know what worked for you. I'm just listing these options out so you can try several different ways that may or may not work.

Method 1 - Workaround

1 - Use the setup and Continue on the first "Continue Anyway" warning

2 - Allow display VGA adaptor to install ( May or may not come up in the middle, depends on driver)

3 - Cancel second "Continue Anyway"

4 - Reboot

5 - Update driver manually->System Properties->Device Manager then select card with driver uninstalled.

6 - Continue on the "Continue Anyway" Warning

7 - Reboot (even if the system doesn't tell you to)

Method 2 - Have Disk 1

1 - Update driver manually->System Properties->Device Manager then select card with driver uninstalled.

2 - Continue on the "Continue Anyway" Warning

3 - Reboot (even if the system doesn't tell you to)

4 - Repeat steps 1-2 for second card

5 - Reboot

Method 3 Have Disk 2

1 - Update driver manually->System Properties->Device Manager then select card with driver uninstalled.

2 - Continue on the "Continue Anyway" Warning

3 - Repeat steps 1-2 for second card

4 - Reboot

Method 4 Normal Setup

1 - Start Setup and install as normal (I'm assuming this doesn't work)

Some people have had success installing the 169.09 with the same system type you have but did not come back specifically stating what they did. I'd suggest starting with this set.

Well thanks for the reply. I have tried all the those methods already and they all have failed, but tonight i got it to work. Ok what I did was manually updated the drivers, but I did not update the first video card on the device manager as i usually do, I did the second on the list first, restarted then installed the other one. Well, I installed and everything went fine. Now I redid all this just to make sure, it was a fluke, and I confirmed my findings, did the same things. It's almost like my motherboard doesn't have the primary vid slot set right.

Thats great news! Thanks for the reply! Hopefully, more Arima users can try this and get it to work. Have you confirmed that you can enable Sli?

Just to be clear your method of installation was the following:

Have disk method

1. Install Driver for second card

2. Reboot

3. Install Driver for first card

4. Reboot

5. Enable Sli?

Edited by Grey728

Yes that would be it. I have gotten SLI to work, and the laptop is running games alot smoother now. Thanks Grey728 for the help.

No SLi option!!! I tried this 2nd card first install method with 169.09 , 169.28 , 171.16 ... and no success. :) What driver works for you fatfarmowl?

I have an alienware m9700 not an Arima. I guess that is my fault for not mentioning it, my bad. Well, I am using the 169.28 drivers. R u running vista or WinXP, have you tried Grey728's methods also?

Edited by fatfarmowl

An m9700 is an Arima laptop, but sold by different vendors. Also, he uses XP Pro SP3 (must be an international version) as opposed to the US version with SP2. Other than that, no difference. I really have no idea why he can't get his laptop up and running with new drivers. I just hope he get's a solution that works for him.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bangsatlo
Yes that would be it. I have gotten SLI to work, and the laptop is running games alot smoother now. Thanks Grey728 for the help.

what ??? i didn't know we have to install twice for sli GPU . i have an m9700, but GPU-z and control panel nvidia said SLI is enabled though i only install the driver once. do we really need to install twice for the 2nd card ?

you dont if you let the driver installer run automatically.

these guys are stopping the install after the first card is detected and installed to avoid the black screen bug. they reboot then install the second card manually, hence 2 installs.

• 3 weeks later...

You get everything working? I have the same exact system as you. Tell me how things are holding up :-)